It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
hydrocortisone resistance?

Has anyone experienced a gradual decline in hydrocortisone's effectiveness? Or developed a resistance to it? I was in and out of adrenal crisis for 3 months and felt very close to death on a few occasions... long story short, my doctor believed that I had become resistant to hydrocortisone and so put me on a very high dose of dexamethasone. This steroid has brought me back to life, but I'm concerned with the side effects of being on such an aggressive and long-acting steroid. I'm in the process of reducing and transitioning to prednisone, which atleast isn't quite as strong as dexamethasone. I'm wondering if anyone else takes dexamethasone or prednisone instead of hydrocortisone? Of course, everything I know and have read says that you want to take hydrocortisone so you can mimmick your body's natural cortisol cycle, but I had no energy and absolutely no life when taking hydrocortisone. I was aware of low cortisol feelings all of the time.

Would love to hear from any of you who have tried different steroids...

Thank you for reading..
Sincerely,
Mollie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread