It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
constant thirst... dehydration

I have a couple of different questions..

Does anyone take prednisone instead of hydrocortisone? I was diagnosed in 2007 and began taking Cortef. Over the past couple of years I began to need more, and felt like I was burning through it quickly...after a few hours of taking it I would start to have symptoms of low cortisol: fatigue, dull headache, crave sweets. mainly fatigue and needing lots of rest. It was like every day was an unpredicatable rollercoaster of fatigue. Long story short, I had a horrible few months this winter -viral infection, non-functioning, unable to work, in the ER 3 times, lost my job, etc. So my doctor switched me to prednisone. I have gotten out of "the hole", don't have as many peaks and valleys, but am far more dehydrated than I was on hydrocortisone, and really would like to know if anyone else takes prednisone? What are your thoughts on it? I'm aware that it's a long-acting steroid and it is more difficult to mimic the natural cortisol rhythm of the body, but my quality of life was far worse on hydrocortisone. And I find sleep to be difficult on both.

As for the dehydration, I've increased Florinef a by 1/2 mg but doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone else have the dehydration/thirst problem? And yes, I add sea salt to my water ...

Thanks for anything any of you can share...

Be well.

Sincerely,
Mollie

Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
(male)

Bicycler HB User
Re: constant thirst... dehydration

why sea salt? I do not think it has what we need that is in table salt. Also, I drink plenty of powerade zero, it has the minerals, and after anything athletic or working in my yard, I crave salt so I make extra salty popcorn or salty fried rice. Keep the salt intake high (regular table salt) and drink plenty of powerade. or sodas. I drink diet sodas and they have high sodium and way oversalt my food. but, when I have my labs done, my sodium is barely in range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
(female)

syvia HB User

I am allergic to hydrocortisone, so I have to take prednisone. I don't have thirst problems, but have gained a lot of weight.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User

Hi "Syvia"...

Thank you for responding. I know we all have different needs, but I'm curious.. how much prednisone do you take daily? And what time in the afternoon or evening do you take your last dose? I'm having a difficult time trying to regulate my medicines. My sleep is difficult and mornings are extremely difficult. I feel so awful when waking in the morning and just lay in bed waiting for cortisone to "kick in".

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
Mollie

Closed Thread