It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
(male)

bryan2527 HB User
Please Help!

I am a 37 year old male and "was" fairly healthy. I have always had headaches in the back of my head but nothing Advil couldn't fix. 6 months ago I noticed my headaches becoming more frequent. 2 months ago I noticed a pain under my jaw in the front of my neck on the left side, days later both sides. Almost like a burning and very sensitive to the touch. Presently My entire neck and shoulders are constantly in severe pain along with a constant headache that never stops in the cervical spine area. I have become nauseous from time to time but I believe thats due to the pain and meds. The only way I can Function right now with Family and work is over the counter pain killers. I wake up and take 4 advil, 3 tylenol for lunch, and back to advil for dinner. it just keeps getting worse and other symptoms are showing up. now I am Feeling Fatigue, and bone pain like knees and fingers. My doctors have run lots of tests and so far all are normal. I had an ultrasound on my Thyroid and it showed mildly enlarged, my doctor was not concerned. All blood work was normal, my TSH was 2.4. No lumps on neck or nodules on thyroid. Cervical x-rays are normal, and E.N.T. scope was clear. I am currently waiting on the cervical spine MRI with contrast that i took a few days ago. I own my own business and have 3 kids under 6. I feel so bad all the time everyone around me is suffering. I don't know what else to do. I'm scarred. I am just waiting on what part of my body gives up first. My kidneys from the meds, or my mind from the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Please Help!

I am glad you got an MRI, as headaches for 6 months needs checked out. It is possible you have some bulging in a cervical disc causing nerve root irritation and muscle spasms in the neck and shoulder area, which can cause headaches. You might ask your Dr. to let you try a muscle relaxant until you know more about the cause. If the tenderness in front of your neck is more in the midline where your thyroid is, as opposed to the muscles that run obliquely along each side of neck (sternocleidomastoid), I would wonder about thyroiditis, since your thyroid on ultrasound was mildly enlarged. This can be checked out by doing thyroid antibody blood tests. Early on the thyroid can be enlarged, tender and painful (aching or burning), but still be functioning normally. A self limited type of thyroiditis can occur following a respiratory illness, usually viral. A CPK blood test could be run as well along with the thyroid to rule out muscle inflammation.It is a muscle enzyme released when muscles are inflamed. Since you are having knee and finger pain with fatigue, a general screening test for inflammation (sed rate and CRP) and autoimmune disease (RA, ANA) might be helpful too. You might want to check your blood test results and see if any of these have already been done, and then discuss with your Dr getting the rest done. Good luck, I am sure you will get some answers and relief soon. It is very hard to work and care for family when not feeling well.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
bryan2527 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
(male)

bryan2527 HB User

Thank you so much for responding to me. Im not sure what "mildly" enlarged means but my thyroid measured 5.8cm left side and 5.5 right side. Most of my front neck pain is under my jaw, above my adams apple and down both sides to my color bones. one spot on my left side right under my jaw is the worst. I can push on one spot on my left side under my jaw and have instant pain, like a bruise. I am a very high stress person and made a huge business decision right before this all started. My doctors all keep pointing to stress but Im not sure. I buy the stress theory for my shoulder blades, back neck, and head but I wonder about the front. My pain is so localized in the front that it feels like someone is holding a match to my lymph nodes. As for auto immune issues. I have psoriasis and I am prone to colds. If any one around me gets sick i am the first to get it. I have had thrush before as well as an adult. My doctor thought maybe psoriatic arthritis but all RM panels and x rays are normal with no damage to joints. I will review my blood work and get back to you on that. What muscle relaxers do you suggest? I need to switch up and get off advil. Something I can take during the day so I can function on them. Thanks

Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is important to try to distinguish whether this pain and tenderness is in your thyroid area, more midline on both sides of trachea, or in lymph node area, higher up under jaw on both sides. Your thyroid size certainly warrants thyroid antibody testing, and you might check to make sure you use iodized salt, as insufficient iodine can cause enlarged thyroid. As far as a muscle relaxant, Some are more sedating than others. I like an older one, methocarbamol or Robaxin, as it causes less sedation and people can function with it. Advil dose should not exceed 4 tabs a day, and excess could cause nausea/ulcer symptoms. It is ok to take Advil with muscle relaxant. These are RX so your Dr. will need to be consulted of course.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

Zoe990 HB User

Sorry to hear what your going through at the moment , I have personally suffered alot with head aches and spinal pain thought it was due to addisons my consultant sent me for a MRI it took 4 times to get a result but eventually found out I had a non cancerous tumor on my spine called syringomelia , they are unsure of the reason but I
Treating it with strong prescription pain killers and unfortunately been ill health retired due to it which isn't very good at 30 !! I hope this can b some help to u

Closed Thread