It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
prednisone instead of HC

Has anyone switched to prednisone from hydrocortisone, and feels better?

I burn through hydrocortisone so quickly and am aware of symptoms several times everyday. Also, I wake in the middle of the night with what feels like low cortisol symptoms and cannot get back to sleep. So then cannot get up in the morning.

I know that prednisone remains in your system quite a bit longer, which is a good thing and a bad thing. I'm just so tired of always chasing symptoms (fatigue, nausea, headache, lightheaded)... and always being reminded of this illness.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has anything to share.

Sincerely,
Mollie

Old 08-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
(male)

bpod1 HB User
Re: prednisone instead of HC

I have.
The upsides were 1. Much more energy during the day 2. Took just once a day
Downsides were: 1. Caused major insomnia 2. Anxiety type feeling of nervous daytime energy.
Hope this helps you decide. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
(male)

muliar HB User
Arrow Re: prednisone instead of HC

I am using prednisolone (a derivative of prednisone).
My doctor prescribed 15 mg daily when i was just diagnosed with Addison's disease (but no fludrocortisone). My first feeling was: euphoria, strength, good appetite, etc.. but after 4 days i started feeling hypertension (high blood pressure). I decreased the dose, but things getting worse.... from Addisonian crisis to high blood pressure and unusual heart beating.
After long time i understood that something were wrong and started with fludrocortisone + prednisolone.

I found the best dosage for me:
5 mg prednisolone
0.1 mg fludrocortisone

In this case me wants to sleep more than usual but this is good. :-)
Other options (2.5 mg dexamethasone + 0.1 mg fludrocortisone) caused insomnia sometimes.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
(male)

clansing1 HB User

Try a combination of the Prednisone and HC.

This is similiar to a Type I Diabetic using a combination of long acting and short acting insulin.

I take following:

1.25 MG of Prednisone at bedtime.

10 MG of HC at wake (7 AM) and 5 MG at 11-12 AM and 5 MG at 4 PM.

I don't struggle with trying to wake without any cortisol in my system and trying to get started while I wait for the prednisone to kick in.

I believe this is the best way to treat Addison's and has worked very well for me.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi I have secondary Addison's and take 10 mg of hydrocortisone at 10 am and 5 mg at 1 pm (had to beg for that dose, it was just doubled). Prior to this dosage I was feeling very very bad, nausea, dizziness, diarrhea/consitapation (nausea 6 out of 7 days). In bed constantly but yet no sleep at night, waking at 3 or 4 am wide awake (levels must be up then).

When I wake up in the am I am so groggy it takes me 3 hours or so to get going and I'm still not awake. Back when I begged for more meds she said my #'s were normal. can't count on those!

Now I'm wondering if I need more. I am still nauseous 4-7 days a week but still no energy whatsoever but the dizziness is gone. I have also gone gluten free.

so did you make the switch I would love to know if you did and if it helped. I am supposed to take the train to see my son at T-giving and would love to feel halfway decent.

btw, everyone knows that on these drugs were are more subseptical (SP?) to osteo, right? I now have severe osteo in my shoulder and had to have surgery and am in osteopenia and am receiving Prolia shots twice a year. Cathy

Reply Reply