It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
(male)

hwbags HB User
Hydrocortisone Dosing

I have had Addison's disease for almost 50 years.
For the bulk of that time I have taken the standard 20mg in the morning and 10 mg at night dose. However I often times even missed my 10mg evening dose and once I recognized it corrected the situation. Of course I want to take the minimum dosage. I also take Florinef; just enough to keep my feet from swelling.
I had major Aortic surgery 18 months ago. A 12 hour open repair followed by a 3 hour endo stent placement. During myrecovery time I would have spells where I would need to take up to 80 mg to be even marginally functional. My endocrinologist finally talked me into taking replacement Testosterone and that finally got me back to my pre surgery dosing. I am about back to 80% of my pre-surgery vigor.
So for some unknown reason I am now back to requiring big doses; on occasion betweeen 50 and 60mg per day. My endocrinologist is watching everything and so far it is not clear what to do. I have changed my diet, reduced caffeinie, increase my florinef. So far nothing has eliminated these episodes. I have been on this big dose for a while now and unless I have a hidden illness it is almost like the drug's effective cortisone is roughly been cut in half. Is it possible a formulary change cause this??

The following user gives a hug of support to hwbags:
mothero2 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
(male)

imrj HB User
Re: Hydrocortisone Dosing

you are not alone...i take between 15-20mg prednisone a day (which is about 60-80 equivalent of HC) and cant do with less.....a lot has to do with how good your body absorbs it and stuff like that...
ive been on this done for almost two years and no side effects from prednison, no weight gain, no bones loss....nothing...so my endo says is working...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply