It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

smergyl HB User
Hyperthyroid plus adrenal problems? Synacthen test results

Hello all, I have graves' disease which caused me to go hyperthyroid. I was diagnosed with this around 2 years ago. It was pulled back down to normal range but it has always been unstable. I raise/drop a few points every month. My T4/T3 are top end of normal and my TSH is still 0. I'm on 10mg Carbimazole and haven't had RAI/surgery.

I'm still very edgy, anxious all day - every day. Can't concentrate, can't remember anything etc. My heart rate is 100+ bpm. I know these problems also come with hyperthyroidism but it should have got better by now as my levels have been normal for a while. I asked for tests on my adrenal glands to see if there were additional problems there. I had read these endocrine disorders tend to come together with one problem area sending the others crazy.

I had a synacthen test done where they injected me with a synthetic ACTH. The nurse has said it is normal... but I've heard that before and don't really trust their version of normal anymore. I don't get a kick out of being ill, I just want to be well again. I know a fair amount about graves' and hyperthyroidism but nothing about adrenal dysfunction.

I wondered if anyone here knows if these results mean anything;

Cortisol before injection - 478 nmol/L
after injection - 800 nmol/L

Dose was 250mcg. I had the first test done at 10am, then again at 10.30am.

Thank you.

Reply Reply