It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
(male)

allenkl624 HB User
Question Diagnosed with Addison's, Considering Medical School

Hi All,
I am a 28 year old male who was diagnosed with Addison's Disease about two years ago. I also have hypothyroidism and the occasional psoriasis flair up. The AD is well managed except for the occasional problem with low blood sugar which is easy enough to fix.

The reason I am posting is that I am strongly considering college, but I am worried that making such a big financial investment would be risky given my poor health. I think I could make it through. I don't know how difficult it would be to time and regulate cortisol intake on a schedule.

Can anyone out there give me some advice? Should I accept my limitations, or shoot for it? Is there a way I can protect myself and/or my wife financially if it ends up that I can't cut it due to the Addison's? Am I at risk of developing any other autoimmune diseases in the high-stress hospital environment, and if so what?

Any advice/words of wisdom would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
(female)

ElenaB HB User
Re: Diagnosed with Addison's, Considering Medical School

I've had Addison's since age 8, now 19.

I am a tiny bit worried about energy and stuff when having to work long hours and night shifts etc. But I think it could be managed, maybe have to increase meds though to compensate for extra energy used. At one point I was working 25 hours while studying full time (and trying to go out and have a social life as it was my first year of uni) and I managed completely fine with energy, was just a little overwhelmed at having no free time to myself. I say go for it! I would hate for Addison's to hold any of us back from something as big as a life changing career, and I don't think we should let it. Just be prepared to work hard, and be ready to put in time to look after yourself (developing a good sleep pattern, taking extra meds at the first sign of illness, good nutrition, exercise, social balance). Best of luck

Last edited by Administrator; 03-02-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
addison's disease, hashimoto thyroid