It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
(female)

carly624 HB User
Question Is it safe to take diet pills with Addison's Disease?

I have Addison's and I was diagnosed 3 years ago. Luckily I only gained around 30 pounds. However, I am absolutely tired of living in this body. I'm self-conscious and not comfortable with my new weight. I've tried dieting and exercising, of course, multiple times over these last 3 years and nothing has helped. I'm ready to resort to diet pills (Hydroxycut, Relacore, Slimquick, etc.) but I wanna know if they are safe for me to take?
I'm reluctant to talk to my doctor about it because I know she'll tell me that I'm at a healthy weight and don't need to lose any.... but I'm tired of hating my body. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

doodlebug123 HB User
Re: Is it safe to take diet pills with Addison's Disease?

omg! That is exactly how I am, I was diagnosed 2 years ago and need to lose about 25lbs but it is soooo hard! Counting calories and exercising is the only way that has worked on getting a few pounds off but I usually have a low blood sugar crash and then I have to eat and then I gain weight so easily with the Cortef...what a pain!

I don't know about diet pills, I find a lot of stuff...even advil or aleve...seems to make me feel really weird, so can't imagine that Hydroxycut will make you feel very good. You can always try one and see what it does but the best advice would be to talk to your doctor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
(female)

carly624 HB User

Exactly! i'm not overweight, i just have a few extra pounds that i would like to lose, especially around my tummy. the cortef made me gain weight immediately when i started taking it. :/ but now it seems like no matter what i do, i can't lose these last 20 pounds...

i think i will talk to a doctor, just to see if they can give me any advice.
thank you so much and good luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
(female)

doodlebug123 HB User

Good idea! Good luck to you too it is nice to know that we aren't going through these things alone

Old 06-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
(male)

SirParadox HB User

I was diagnosed in 1993/1994, between Soph and JR year of H.S.
I weighed 98 pds.

I returned to school weighing 150.

By the end of my Senior year I was normal around 180.

I then started a job that required Wendy's, BK, etc; twice a day... damn internet startups.. I shot up to 230. With diet control I can easily substain 200-210.. That seems to be my norm as I get older.

However! To get from 230 to 200 the first time I took STacker II ...ended up taking it for 5-6 years till it was banned. Freken love the stuff. I had no problems except dehydration. With addisons you are already constantly thirsty and dehydrated. That's why all the random headaches. So be careful.

The ONLY medicine I know is a no-no w/ addisons are Water Pills. Almost all of your life substaining meds rely on water. My doc said water pills would kill me in a few weeks.

Now zoom to 2012. Mom got diagnosed w/ cancer. I took 9 months off and became her primary doctor, coordinating between 12 others. I would take hourly smoke breaks, and force myself to walk to the opposite end of the hospital. On top of that excessive yard work. I was able to finally get back from 230 to 210.

Eventually we lost and she died in January. Since then I have put on 1-2 pds per week, and am not sitting here at a wopping 255. 253 last week. 251 the week before.

It sucks! I am eating bird food, salads, no fat dressing, walking, the works. Nothing is working.

So. If you find a 'current pill' that works, let me know!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-01-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
(female)

carly624 HB User

Thank you doodlebug123! and yes, it is nice to know that we're not alone.

Wow SirParadox! seems like you've been through quite a journey with your Addison's. And i'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much for the info on the water pills, I'll be sure not to take them!
I'll let you know if I find any that work. Good luck! I know you can do it!

Old 05-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
(female)

Crochetshannon HB User

I was 50 pounds overweight. nothing i did like exercising and changing my eating did not work. So I went to my doctor and I ask him can you help me?

I was given a drug called phentermine. It's a prescription diet pill that has qualities similar to an amphetamine. This is a pill that people who have addictive tendencies should not take. I took this for six months and I lost 40 pounds.

But if you think this pill is it cure-all, you're wrong. I took the pill but also exercise twice a day every day for 60 to 90 minutes a day. I also cut down my high carb foods. I eat high carb foods (potatoes, bread, pasta, sugar) sparingly now.

I also went to a naturopath. I was told that the medication I take for my Addison depletes the nutrients in my body. Which makes me want to eat more. So she gave me replacement vitamins and I don't crave food as much as I used to.

This is by no means a cure for the weight gain but you need to talk to your doctor, be monitored by a doctor and consult a naturopath who can help you replace the nutrients that your body craves. When my body is to craved food it didn't tell me what it needed it just wanted me to eat and I didn't know what I needed so I just made myself gain weight.

I also bought a fitbit one device to help me monitor my calorie and distance walked so I have an idea of what I do each day...it makes working out more fun and it also gives me motivations to beat what I did the day before.....I have walked 7 miles in one day....I am hoping to do 10 miles before the end of the year.

Never stop taking your steroids. This can be life-threatening. I know that the weight gain is frustrating believe me I live with it. But I have learned a lot about what to do to minimize that weight gain and I know this is always going to be a work in progress. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Crochetshannon; 05-17-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
(female)

BellaMila HB User

Hello, I was diagnosed with Addisons' jus this past Christmas Eve, after 12 months of tests, and doctors telling me I have postnatal depressions (even though I didn't) they were all quick to pass me to the next person. After getting to 43kgs an still no answers, my body gave up. I couldn't walk, talk, move any muscle. And I'm a single mum of back then a 1 year old.. I'd passed out, and was lucky my mum called over when she did, and found me....

I was a very healthy person until I fell pregnant, which is what caused Addisons.

I played sport, ran everyday, gym, and ate pretty healthy. Being on steroids has made me put on weight, in a good way, but my workout regiment doesn't work anymore.. My dr prescribed me Duromine 30mg, it suppresses the appetite as well as weight reduction, as your mouth gets dry, you drink a lot of water, which helps as well, I'm not an expert, but it seems to be working for me..

Reply Reply

Tags
addison's disease, diet pills, hydroxycut