It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

jimmyjames121 HB User
New to the Board

Hi All, I'm a 31/M DX with Addison's at the age of 15. Hope everyone is feeling well.

I had a general question for fellow Addisonian's, do ya'll take any OTC supplements to help you feel better? If so, can you list em?

Thanks for your help!
Take care,

james

Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
(female)

ElenaB HB User
Re: New to the Board

Helloo, Im a 20 year old female, diagnosed at 8. I have recently started taking some supplements - magnesium (to help me reduce anxiety and help sleep), woman's multi-vits, and fish oil. I haven't been using them for long enough to notice a difference but will keep you updated! I also try to eat a lot of foods high in good nutrients - I did some research around foods for people with addisons which was quite interesting. I've chosen to use them cos Im getting sick of being tired all the time along with various other minor complaints, and the docs think my meds are all fine so cant find a solution there. Have you tried any supplements?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
(female)

ElenaB HB User

Also my endo just prescribed me DHEA replacement.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
(male)

jimmyjames121 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaB View Post
Also my endo just prescribed me DHEA replacement.
Thanks Elena! I started taking a multivitamin this past year (Mens ON Opti-Men) Not sure if their Womens one is as good, but the Mens one gets great reviews on Amazon and I love it! I just started taking Jarrow Mastic Gum for stomach irritability about a week ago. I am not sure I feel much of a difference? That is the reason why I posted, because I am trying to take better care of myself these days! My wife thinks I have a gluten intolerance but I'm not sure I want to try that whole diet thing, it just would be difficult to keep up on.

I haven't read up on the DHEA therapy but I am hoping it works out well for you! It may be something that I look into for the future.

What foods are good for Addison's?

Thank you for your input!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

ElenaB HB User

I think that DHEA replacement is usually only given to women (I may be wrong) cos its a hormone produced in the adrenal gland, but men also produce some of it in the testes so theoretically you are still producing at least some. It has input in the production of other hormones and while noone knows exactly how it works and I think some doctors are skeptical, people who have tried it have claimed to have more energy and just a general increase in sense of wellbeing. My doc said I could try it if I wanted and it was up to me, so I said I would trial it for three months.
As to foods, theres the obvious - high salt (esp. in hot weather), lots of fluids, and minimal potassium (bananas, dried fruit, avocados) and there some more unexpected suggestions. Licorice is an interesting one because it actually acts in a similar way to hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone which reduces the workload on adrenal glands and perhaps could be used to reduce the pill dose if used correctly. However, i think it can be quite bad for you in high doses. High protein is good - nuts, dairy, oily fish (tuna, salmon - provide omega 3 and protein), legumes. Calcium to reduce risk of osteoporosis caused by long term steroid replacement. Dairy may also reduce anxiety etc so before bed might be a good time to have them to help sleep which can be delayed from having a hydrocortisone dose at bedtime (I had to get rid of that dose cos I couldnt sleep). Complex carbs - help keep sugar levels up throughout the day as we are at risk of hypoglycaemia (so whole grain cereals and breads instead of refined/white breads, long grain brown rice, quinoa, and air popped popcorn). Lots of fresh fruit and veges - fibre and sugar and general immunity as they are rich in antioxidants (particularly berries, citrus fruits, red grapes, kiwifruit, mangoes, papaya, tomatos, leafy greens, brocolli, brussel sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, sweet potato, and winter squash). In terms of supplements I've seen recommended are the multi-vits, calcium and vit D (for osteoporosis), and natural plant based rememedies such as ginseng and siberian root or something like that. Though they say that supplements should not be necessary if diet is good. Anyway, that should be plenty to go on for now, but do your own research on the internet too if you would like! Makes for some interesting reading and kinda makes Addisons make more sense too.

Reply Reply