It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
(male)

JordashTalon HB User
Question Friend fainting 3-4 times per day from Addison's Disease and BiPolar

I have a friend who is fainting 3-4 times per day from Addison's Disease. From what i've read is that with proper treatment that is not normal, it is supposed to be treatable to have almost no effect. She is also BiPolar and maybe the emotional mood swings are causing the Addison's stuff to act up?

Anyway I was wondering if there is any tips on fainting from Addison's and Bipolar Disorder (Bipolar Type 2). Or for Addison's in general.

When she faints it's sometimes for up to hours which obviously wreaks havoc on her employment and social life.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

frustratid HB User
Re: Friend fainting 3-4 times per day from Addison's Disease and BiPolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordashTalon View Post
I have a friend who is fainting 3-4 times per day from Addison's Disease. From what i've read is that with proper treatment that is not normal, it is supposed to be treatable to have almost no effect. She is also BiPolar and maybe the emotional mood swings are causing the Addison's stuff to act up?

Anyway I was wondering if there is any tips on fainting from Addison's and Bipolar Disorder (Bipolar Type 2). Or for Addison's in general.

When she faints it's sometimes for up to hours which obviously wreaks havoc on her employment and social life.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Any stress can cause a crisis for Addisons patients. I do not know anything specific about BiPolar but it makes sense that it could cause this. When under stress, Addisons patients need extra steroids to keep up their blood pressure levels and salt levels.

Her endocrinologist should be able to amend her Addisons medication so she can take extra when she is struggling, but both her endocrinologist and the doctor she sees for BiPolar need to know all her health issues and all her medication, and her GP should also be fully in the loop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
(female)

annie0910 HB User
Re: Friend fainting 3-4 times per day from Addison's Disease and BiPolar

Hi,

From my understanding the cortisol that you take for the Addison's and the medication you take for bipolar very much act against each other. Thus an optimal adjustment for both of them is important.

I am myself a patient with Addison's and Bipolar (onset shortly after Addison's diagnosis). Before I was diagnosed and probably still healthy I used to faint a lot as my bloodpressure was low.
Since I am taking cortisol this stopped to the point that I am now 'fitter' than before, even when for example it is quite hot. (Also, I have a 'normal' bloodpressure now).
On the other hand I keep having these manic episodes which I think are promoted by too much cortisol.
I try to find the best adjustment for my Addison's medication and will see my endo on Friday and try to get a day profile to find the best (i.e. minimal in my case) dosage for Addison's, get him to take more bloods from me (i.e. monthly, and before-after for changes in treatment) and/or get a referral to a neuroendocrinologist.

As there are not many patients with both Addison's and bipolar I would be very interested in talking/writing to your friend and exchange experiences. Thus I would be very grateful if you could ask her to get into contact with me via this forum.

Reply Reply

Tags
addisons, addisons disease, bipolar, bipolar 2