It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
(male)

Hogweed HB User
Body vibrating!

I've had this really weird problem for some time now. Iím a poor sleeper at the best of times, but sometimes I wake up during the night (sometimes more than once) with a fast vibration happening in my body. It feels the same as violent shivering when youíre very cold, or like a cellphone vibrating, but Iím not cold or in any way uncomfortable.

Eventually it subsides Ė can take over half an hour. At first I thought it was my heart (after all, what ELSE can vibrate inside your body...), but the funny thing is, if I feel the pulse in my neck, I can feel a normal pulse as well as the shaking. My doctor says itís impossible for you to have a normal pulse and fibrillation at the same time though.

He did an ECG, which was normal, and doesnít know what it is, and got me to try an antifibrillant drug last night, on the basis that if it stopped then it was fibrillation! It happened again last night though.

I've tried getting up and walking around, and my heart doesnít seem to be in any kind of distress. Itís quite worrying though, as no-one knows what it is.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
(female)

lamac HB User
Re: Body vibrating!

a dream...seizure...night terror....there are so many possibilities...I am curious to hear if you figure this out.

Lamac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
(male)

Hogweed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamac View Post
a dream...seizure...night terror....there are so many possibilities...I am curious to hear if you figure this out.

Lamac
I can't remember which sites I saw it on, but I would appear to be not QUITE the worldís only sufferer... hereís a couple of quotes from others, which illustrate it quite well:

ďFor the past 5-6 weeks I wake up several times a night with a vague
sensation of rapid (my guess would be 200+ /min , regular vibrations that I
cannot pin to any specific part of my body. If I'm laying on my back I feel
them there, if on my side I feel them there. Sometimes if I'm sitting I
feel them in my feet (less common). It is always where I have pressure on me
where I feel them, and they are so light I probably would not feel them when I'm
up and about unless I am sitting quietly in a chair. Whatever it is us usually
happening when I awake, but often stop suddenly.
I was worried they could be atrial fib / flutter, but when they happen
it does not affect my ventricular rate at all. At night when this happens
my rate stays a regular 48- 52 / min (which is normal for me). Everything
I have read indicates either atrial fib or flutter would effect my
ventricles in some way so this is leading me to believe this may not be
heart related at all. Do you have any ideas as to what it could be?
As I said there is no pain, and I cannot feel any specific muscle twitching.Ē

(Thatís it exactly, except mine doesnít seem to be affected by pressure, and is rather stronger than that guy. And I do feel mine is kind of chest-centred. But Iím not totally sure).

ďI am 34yrs old and for the past 12 months I have suffered with what I would describe as flutters in the chest when I go to bed at night. They used to occur only if I had had a night out eating and drinking alcohol. For the past 2 months they occur every night, and may even wake me 3 or 4 times a night. They often settle if I change position and are much worse when on my right side . I am now becoming concerned. My Dr suggests that it may be due to pressure from a possible hiatus hernia. Should I be worried?Ē

And:-

ďSometimes when I'm falling asleep I seem to vibrate--the location isn't clear, perhaps it comes from the chest, but I can't find specific muscle groups that are doing it, unless they all are somehow. The frequency is maybe 5-7 Hertz and the amplitude is similar to a vibrating bed in a motel, though the frequency of my
vibration is, subjectively anyhow, slower than those beds. When I change position it goes away. I would guess that it's my heart, but when I take my pulse I find that it's regular and normal feeling. I'm told though that the pulse is a poor indicator of what the heart is actually doing. I don't seem to have any other symptoms, but it's kind of worrisome.Ē

Again, thatís it Ė except with me it NEVER happens when Iím falling asleep; only when I wake up from a dream (which can be 1-4 times a night). And it doesnít go away if I change position.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

You are describing to the T what I could not. I had the same thing - and after trying to explain it to all of my doctors (I have seen more than one about this) have ALL told me it's anxiety attacks. I've been prescribed Ativan, and it didn't work. They bumped up my dosage, and it still wouldn't work. They tried to bump it up again and I refused to take it (Ativan is extremely addicting and withdrawls can lead to seizures)

*edited* I've been reading about people suddenly waiting up because they stopped breathing (like someone placed their hand over their mouth/nose), and heart pounding as if they ran a mile. This would happen once in a while either to start my vibrations, or DURING the vibrations.

My "vibrations" stopped, but I did wake up last monday freaked out because I couldn't breathe. *end of edit*

I'm 26 female. I have quit smoking over the past month- and they have actually stopped.

It it really makes me wonder if it's nicotine induced. Do you smoke?

Last edited by Tamaralynn; 01-29-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
(male)

Hogweed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaralynn View Post
You are describing to the T what I could not. I had the same thing - and after trying to explain it to all of my doctors (I have seen more than one about this) have ALL told me it's anxiety attacks. I've been prescribed Ativan, and it didn't work. They bumped up my dosage, and it still wouldn't work. They tried to bump it up again and I refused to take it (Ativan is extremely addicting and withdrawls can lead to seizures)
Well, I've suffered from anxiety/depression all sorts of thing sall my life (I’m just twice your age), and I know the difference. When this has happened, I've just woken from a dream, and have felt calm and relaxed... it's a physical thing, not a mental or emotional one. For SURE.

Quote:
*edited* I've been reading about people suddenly waiting up because they stopped breathing (like someone placed their hand over their mouth/nose), and heart pounding as if they ran a mile. This would happen once in a while either to start my vibrations, or DURING the vibrations.

My "vibrations" stopped, but I did wake up last monday freaked out because I couldn't breathe. *end of edit*

I'm 26 female. I have quit smoking over the past month- and they have actually stopped.

It it really makes me wonder if it's nicotine induced. Do you smoke?
No, but I used to, when I was your age, and got the waking up without being able to breathe thing then! So there may well be a connection with that one. I stopped 18 years ago though.

Last edited by Hogweed; 01-29-2007 at 09:26 AM.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

I know what you mean by physical (not emotional).

Mine was the same. I was sleeping perfectly fine, then it was like waking up to something sending tiny electrical currents to every nerve ending in my body (vibrating), it'll go for a while, then once in a while it just stops--- and i kind of freak out because it feels as if my heart just stopped beating... then starts humming again then eventually peters off after 30 - 60 minutes (Is this what you were feeling?)

This was why I belived Ativan wasn't working for me, because it wasn't an actual panic attack. I have a friend who suffers from these, she sweats, and feels like running and hiding, she feels she can't breathe (during her entire attack) and starts to physically shake.

I didn't get that. I'm not freaked out *unless that vibrating stops for a second or two, then starts again - making me think it's my heart that was fluttering then stops* I was always relaxed and calm when it hit.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
(male)

Hogweed HB User

Quote:
I know what you mean by physical (not emotional).

Mine was the same. I was sleeping perfectly fine, then it was like waking up to something sending tiny electrical currents to every nerve ending in my body (vibrating), it'll go for a while, then once in a while it just stops--- and i kind of freak out because it feels as if my heart just stopped beating... then starts humming again then eventually peters off after 30 - 60 minutes (Is this what you were feeling?)
Yes, something like that. Best thing I can describe it as is like shivering, except I wasn't cold. And Iím now pretty sure itís nothing to do with my heart. The Doc gave me some anti-fibrillation drugs, which I took with trepidation for a few nights Ė no change whatsoever. He said if that happened, it wasn't my heart.

If you push two fingers gently into your carotid artery when it happens (just to either side of your windpipe Ė you can get a strong pulse there) and feel carefully, I believe you'll find you have a normal pulse. If you're the same as me! I think itís some weird muscular tremor thing.

Quote:
This was why I belived Ativan wasn't working for me, because it wasn't an actual panic attack. I have a friend who suffers from these, she sweats, and feels like running and hiding, she feels she can't breathe (during her entire attack) and starts to physically shake.

I didn't get that. I'm not freaked out *unless that vibrating stops for a second or two, then starts again - making me think it's my heart that was fluttering then stops* I was always relaxed and calm when it hit.
Try the pulse thing! See if it IS your heart.

Good luck

Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

That was the first thing I would feel for (my pulse to see if it matched the vibrating/pulsing throughout my entire body) and it seemed to beat normally in compairson.

I used to drive hubby nuts when I would jump out of bed, waking around trying to get it out of my system (if you get up and walk around, it tends to wane off a little quicker). I was worried about it being high blood pressure, but when I went to the doctor - everything was fine (even for a smoker, as my doctor would put it).

I got it last night, I was hoping my quitting smoking had nixed it - but at least it seems to have helped it from not happening quite as often. Before I quit, it seemed to happen almost every other night.

I got fed up with trying to take Ativan for it (as I said before it didn't work) and would just lie awake in bed until the vibes stopped.

I got it at work one day about 4 months ago (which was strange because I had never had it in the day - and haven't since then) and it lasted the entire freaking day. Nothing seemed to stop it, the worst of it was along my spine and into the back of my head (it felt as if I was sitting against one of those vibrating chairs until the area got numb). I was very pale, and security was called to bring me to the nurses office.

And all I'm told from the doctors is that it's anxiety attacks. Yet none of their stupid medicine is working. And it doesn't seem to match up with anything my friends have.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
(male)

Hogweed HB User

Tamara, I have to tell you it isn't an anxiety attack – you and I know what they’re like already. And I’m 90% sure now that it isn’t the heart. That only leaves the muscles – there simply isn't anything else IN the body which could do this! It seems to be some kind of shivering, ie rhythmic vibrating of the muscles. What’s causing it… God knows. Hopefully it’s just “one of those things”. I used to get all sorts of weird illnesses after my divorce – some of them VERY physical and unpleasant – but gradually they went away, never to return!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

Another idea is possibly the nerves... The best way I was able to describe it to my hubby is when you trip or fall backwards - and your nerves kind of tense up (imagine that feeling continuing and not stopping for at least 30 minutes).

Like I said, if you get it again, try getting up and walking around a little bit - sometimes that helps.

I've also tried adjusting my pillows so my head rests a little higher - and that can help make it less uncomfortable/annoying.

I'm going for a physical on Tuesday, and I'll mention it to another doctor - and see what she says. I'll let you know

Old 01-31-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
(male)

Hogweed HB User

Quote:
Like I said, if you get it again, try getting up and walking around a little bit - sometimes that helps.
Oh, it doesnít bother me that much Ė but you're right, activity definitely gets rid of it. No, I really just want to know what CAUSES it, in case thereís something horrible wrong with me!

Quote:
I'm going for a physical on Tuesday, and I'll mention it to another doctor - and see what she says. I'll let you know
Do tell the doctor you're in correspondence with others who have had EXACTLY the same thing Ė they think Iím imagining it, or still dreaming or some such nonsensical explanation.

I also speculated about alcohol involvement, as I am sometimes a heavy drinker Ė but it happens during extended periods of abstention also.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

Quote:
Do tell the doctor you're in correspondence with others who have had EXACTLY the same thing Ė they think Iím imagining it, or still dreaming or some such nonsensical explanation.

I also speculated about alcohol involvement, as I am sometimes a heavy drinker Ė but it happens during extended periods of abstention also.
I will for sure. It's nice to finally find someone else who has the same problems. Doctors are also telling me that it's all in my head, and that "Anxiety attacks can do that".

I do drink the odd drink a couple of times a week (1 beer or ceasar after supper a couple of times a week), so I really don't think it's alcohol.

Unfortunately it's not my major problem right now, but my lack of sleep over the past month, so that's my main concern, but now that i finally found someone else with the same "vibrations" or "bad vibes" as I call it, I deffinately have something to tell them.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
(female)

mich711 HB User

My problem is similar, and I am deperate to find others who have it too. I too ahve Resless Legs Syndrome, and period limb movement disorder, but this is different from others who have the two disorders above. I have virtually constant vibration in my left leg (95% in left, 5% in right leg.) I have a profound case of insomnia, with generally 30- up to 2 hours of sleep a night. Had insomnia for 6 years already, but the tremors in leg is fairly new. Just had a brain scan, but they will probably find nothing. I am desperate to find others who have the same sensations in their leg.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
(male)

Hogweed HB User

Now this is interesting – it hasn’t happened for he last 2 night! First time in ages. The only things I've done differently on those nights were (a) I had quite a lot to drink, (b) started a course of antibiotics. Can’t really understand how either would affect it though – it’s happened on other nights when I've been drinking. One thing though – I slept unusually soundly for me (might be the antibiotics enhancing the alcohol I suppose...) which leads me to suspect that this ***arre syndrome is in some way connected with REM sleep.

I told yet another doctor about it, and he shrugged and gave that stupid smirk they have when they don’t understand something, so assume you’re imagining things.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #15
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

AHH I hate it when the doctors do that!!!

The alcohol can also calm your nerves... I still think it's nerves

Closed Thread