It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
(male)

Gardner TX HB User
HELP! Crazy Symptoms but No Diagnosis

(If I'm posting this in the wrong place please let me know.)

About 5 weeks ago I was sitting at my desk and had a weird feeling in my middle chest/upper abdomen followed by an adrenaline rush (felt like a sudden rush of freezing cold water running through my arms). I went to the Dr. and they couldn't find anything abnormal on the ECG. My blood pressure was only slightly elevated at that moment. I told him it felt a little funny when I breathed in. My Dr. ran some blood tests and had me make an appointment with a cardiologist just to be safe (the blood test showed a high c-reative level of 11.81 but no one seemed concerned). In the week
between seeing my GP and cardiologist I started to have stomach bloating after eating and general stomach pain. It became a consistent thing. When I went to the cardiologist I ended up getting an ultrasound of my heart, ecg and took a stress test. He also had me take my blood pressure for two weeks to see what the average was. It was about 116/69. He ruled out any heart issues because my cholesterol was only mildy high, had good blood pressure, great triglyceride levels and was "young" (29) although overweight (294lbs.). And also the tests did not show anything. A few days later, I was at work and my chest became very tight and bloated and I started to feel really weird and out of it. It was slightly difficult to breathe. I went to the ER because it felt like I was dying. The ER ran some tests and more blood work. A CT scan showed that my spleen was slightly enlarged and the blood tests this time said I was slightly anemic and had a low blood platelet count (113). They recommended me go to a gastroenterologist. I went and and he put me on Protonix and scheduled an endoscopy. I took Protonix for five days before I had an endoscopy. The results of the endoscopy were negative. Nothing bad to see. They did a biopsy of my stomach for Celiac disease but that came back negative. All the time I have been feeling out of it. Since the endoscopy came back clean I had stopped taking the Protonix (I didn't want to take it if I didn't have to). Well, three days later I started having major stomach pain again and severe bloating. I also need to mention that the whole time all of this has been going on I have had loose stools (about 3 weeks straight now). The next week I was sitting at my desk and had the same weird "jump" in my chest followed by an adrenaline rush. I went to the ER again and they started running blood tests and ecgs. I had to stay 24 hours for evalutaion on a holter monitor. Nothing showed up in my cardiac enzymes and they kept saying my blood work was fine. They ran an ecg every three hours and took blood samples about that often along with blood pressure. Nothing, nada. My sudden anemia and low blood platelet count was back to normal. I couldn't leave until my cardiologist and gastroenterologist came by and released me. My cardiologist said he couldn't find anything wrong with my heart and had me released. My gastroenterologist's PA showed up and I told her what was going on. She had me take a 24hr. urinalysis test that I have not received the results from.
During all this time a couple of other things have happened. The right lymph node in my throat became visibly swollen and very soar for a day and then went away but I never had a soar throat. I had a chest burning sensation in the left of my chest and left armpit. After the 2nd ER visit I got back on the protonix and this went away. Inbetween ER visits I received a fever on a Saturday night for no apparent reason. My temp. was 101 and I had chills. Now, recently, starting last Friday 4/1/2011, I started to get a dull ache at the base of my throat just under my adams apple on the left side (where my thyroid is?). It has begun to hurt more each day. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a mouth ulcer is in my neck. It does not hurt to swallow but the pain has radiated to my head and ear at times and is becoming aggrevating. My upper stomach or chest is still making a weird moving sensation once in a while. When I felt this uncomfortable sensation the second time I went to the ER (and the first time I went to the Dr.) it could have been a panic attack that caused the sudden adrenaline rush.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I go back to the gastro. this Friday.

Symptoms:
Severe sudden heart burn and stomach pains - seems to be treated with Protonix (even though endscopy doesn't show signs of ulcer or damage). Burning was in center chest, left breast and arm.

Random Fever

Feels like something (organ) is moving irregularly in my chest - if only for a second or two. Symptom is still there even though bloating is perceived as gone. Happens maybe 3-5 times a day. Sometimes I think it's my heart.

Severe Bloating After Eating - seems to be "cured" with Protonix

Lymph Node Swelling

Throat/Neck Ache - below and to the left of the adams apple. Dull ache (like mouth ulcer) radiating every now and again from neck into left side of head.

Diarrhea - 3 weeks now. Color = light brown almost yellow

Weight Loss - I've lost 25 pounds since this started.

Sometimes it feels a little funny when I breathe in

Hurts to breathe in deep - in bottom center of chest. This has since gone away and would happen especially in the morning.

Heart Palpitations - no jump in heart rate, just the feeling of heart beating heavy in chest. This only started when the other symptoms started.

Feeling of something in back of throat, like mucous, but nothing budges.

Dry Cough

It seems like the majority of these symtpoms are worse when I am sitting down.

I do not smoke or drink alcohol.

I've been eating a very healthy diet for 3 months (very low fat and low carb with no weight loss until this started happening).

I don't know what to tell the Dr.s because they seem perplexed. Any ideas?

Last edited by Gardner TX; 04-06-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
(male)

Gardner TX HB User
Re: HELP! Crazy Symptoms but No Diagnosis

I'm afraid that I have an underlying heart problem they missed...or something worse. I know that's a bit of a jump but that's just how I feel.

Last edited by Gardner TX; 04-06-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
(female)

bimik HB User

Hi there ! I am sorry to hear you have been to ER twice. You might have an acid reflux. I am also new to this disease, I have been diagnosed with LPR - symtoms were sore throat, dryness in the throat, lump in theleft upper throat which comes and goes. I know some ppl who have reflux ended up in ER too. Also my GI told me that half of the patients who come to ER and think they have heart issues are actually suffering from GERD. My stomach is also bloatet for couple weeks now. I don't know why you are having fever, you probbaly need to get well checked by doctors. Get better !

Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
(male)

Gardner TX HB User

Thanks. I hope that GERD is all I have. I neglected to mention that my body temperature has dropped since all this started (except for the fever I had). I'm normally around 98.6°-99° but lately I've been about 96° in the morning and 97° in the evening.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
(female)

isleofhughes HB User

I know they did a celiac test on you but that test is not 100% fool proof. If you want to try a full week off gluten and see if your symptoms subside, you have your answer. I have had everything you are describing. I thought I was loosing my mind and they just kept testing and more testing. My symptoms were very much present and constant when I was pregnant and so the docs just kept saying they couldn't find anything wrong and that I should go home and relax. What a joke. Long story short. I went off gluten and my thyroid is almost back to normal. The racing of my heart has stopped. The sick, awful feeling that would hit me out of no where is gone. Just give yourself two weeks off of gluten, see what happens. I wish someone had been there to tell me about celiac. The best to you.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
(male)

Gardner TX HB User

Thanks! I went to the Gastro after your post but before I got to read it. The Dr. thinks I have celiac disease and has asked me to go gluten free for 2 weeks. He said the biopsy is not always right. He also said that my endoscopy was NOT normal after all. He said he did a biopsy in the first place because he believed he saw celiac sprue. He had me take a specialized blood test that had to be shipped to San Diego. I'll get the results in 2-3 weeks.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
(male)

Gardner TX HB User

UPDATE:

So, I passed blood and mucus (only) yesterday which led me to call the gastro. I was having horrible stomach cramps that morning and massive diarrhea. I have been gluten free for 4.5 days. I'm going in for a colonoscopy next Wednesday. Hopefully they find out what this is. The gastro is starting to think it is not Celiac and something to do with my colon now. We'll see. I'll keep things posted because I hate it when someone has symptoms and never posts the outcome of their condition or sees things through. I figure if someone is going through the same thing then this might help.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
(female)

bimik HB User

Hope you get better !!! Not having the correct diagnozis is bad because maybe you are not doing the right treatment. So itsbest to get all the tests done, I willprobably do myy 24 h ph test study in a few weeks. GEt well

Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
(female)

isleofhughes HB User

Hello, Im sorry for all your stuff going on. Question: With the blood and mucus, was it after you eating and drinking something? If it was, at this point if you are dealing with celiac, anything you eat right now will do this to you, yes even mucus and blood. I've had it and they thought for sure it was my colon and internal bleeding and everything else under the sun. Milk and juice and any sport drink will also upset your gut at this point too because your intestine needs to heal for at least 6 months before it can handle milk, juice, sports drinks, etc.... (If you are dealing with celiac) (I had the mucus and blood so bad that they took me to the ER.) Like you there was no stool in there. I had been intaking so much gatorade because I was so dehydrated from all the g.i problems that I further upset my gut and my immune system was attacking my intestine so horribly. I hope that I help with some of my info if your tests keep coming up with nothing. I also hope you don't have celiac and it is something less serious that they can figure out for you. Best to you.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
(male)

Gardner TX HB User

I have my colonoscopy on Wednesday and I should get my blood results for Celiac on Friday. As soon as I find out what's going on I will post it. (I had the mucus/blood movement 4 hours after eating breakfast?)

Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
(female)

isleofhughes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner TX View Post
I have my colonoscopy on Wednesday and I should get my blood results for Celiac on Friday. As soon as I find out what's going on I will post it. (I had the mucus/blood movement 4 hours after eating breakfast?)
Ok. Here is what I did to give my gut a break: I ate different types of gluten free yogurt for a full week. I know this sounds hard but your gut needs a break and yogurt doesn't cause the g.i problems that will send you to the toilet after every meal. If you can't handle any type of milk products right now, then gluten free baby food is the way to go also. SPROUT baby food is the best and you can find it at most stores. It is a great way to get your gut to calm down. Don't be taking any vitamins right now either as you are not retaining anything from them. They will just upset your gut. Drink a normal amount of water and no more than 8 glasses a day. While your gut is upset it will just run through you if you keep drinking too much. And if this isn't celiac, going on the baby food will still help what is going on. I also meant to ask you, what color blood did/are you passing? And did the doctor comment as to the color you passed? I know this seems like a weird question, but does your stool float on top of the water? That is a huge symptom of celiac. When you have celiac you can't absorb fat and nutrients, hence it floats. Just a thought. Happy testing. Good Luck to you.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
(male)

Gardner TX HB User

The blood was bright red and mixed with mucus. In my loose stools about half of it floats. None-the-less, I had the colonoscopy yesterday and everything came back normal as far as there being no polyps or ulcers. It was a little inflamed and they took a biopsy. I'll let you know the results. The Dr. so far is telling me it could be IBS or possibly early signs of IBD. I should be getting test results back for Celiac very soon (possibly tomorrow). Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you updated.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
(male)

Gardner TX HB User

Ok...so, I do not have Celiac. My colonoscopy came back negative. They have no idea what is wrong with me (other than obvious GERD with no physical symptoms of damage). I switched from Protonix to Prilosec. Big mistake. Horrible chest burning and left arm burning. Sometimes it hurts to breathe in deep. I've heard this could be from acid reflux. The gas is still there and it causes my heart to flutter once in a while. Oh, and as far as the diarrhea, it stopped as soon as I got off Protonix. I asked the Gastro and he said, "Oh yeah, that totally causes diarrhea." This irked me because that and the blood were one of the main reasons I got a colonoscopy. I'm on Dexilant now.

Last edited by Gardner TX; 05-05-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Closed Thread