It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

caribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB Usercaribear HB User
Pain and adrenaline

Hi all,

I had to ask about the experience I had the other day. Sorry if it's a little long...

The other day we had a lot of severe weather. Luckily we didn't get a lot of it, but those poor people down south got hammered. Severe weather and I don't mix, so I was hurting pretty badly. We were under a tornado watch so I stayed up late until most of the storms had passed. I was awakened at 2:30 AM by the sound of wind like I have never heard before. I was sure we were having a tornado. Then I heard something banging around downstairs. I jumped up and ran down the stairs and found my boyfriend bringing in all of our plants from outside. The wind was gusting up to around 100 mph. but no tornado, just straight line winds. I helped him pull in the rest of the plants and get them settled.

It took about five more minutes for the adrenaline to wear off. When it did it was like I was hit with a wall of pain. I started crying because the pain was so sudden and intense. It was so bad I could hardly even walk to the cabinet to get my percocets. It seems the adrenaline had overridden the pain response and kept me from hurting while I did what I needed to do.

Has anybody else ever had or heard of this sort of experience? I know adrenaline is meant to give us the energy to "fight or flight" but I've never heard of it dulling pain to that degree before. I went from feeling almost pre-fibro good to complete agony within seconds. Crazy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Pain and adrenaline

hi bear,
you had an adrenalin rush. they always negate pain, but oh, when the adrenalin goes back down it's pay time. double where you were and add 5. i have had the same experience. i bet it made you cry. relax now and next time you will know what to expect. i find deep breathing helpful both during and after a rush.
giggle, now you know why i paint, the rush takes pain away. sure i pay later but how i love those hours of freedom and what i get when i am done painting.
we had winds yesterday too. broke my new garden whirleygig. opened the hot tub and tossed the garden chairs. i slept thru the whole thing.
peace and calm breezes,
blue

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User
Re: Pain and adrenaline

I think i know how you felt,,,the other day i was hurting sooo bad ,i mean bad, but had promised hubby since it was our 1st warmer day to get out on the motorcycle and ride, so i did and.. OH my goodness ...NO PAIN AT ALLL i felt Normal....and for about a Hr we rode...even for about 15 mins after we got home, then it came back....

The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
caribear (04-29-2011)
Closed Thread