It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

qtee4eva HB User
Heart Racing, Can't Calm Down & Dizziness

Here I go again with the anxiety attacks ~sigh~

Just when I thought I'd gotten rid of them they are back. I had to come on these boards just to see if anyone else had the same symptoms as I always feel better knowing I'm not alone with this. Here is what I go through....heart racing, dizziness, feeling you get when you're really excited about something but the excited feeling does not go away for quite awhile (adrenaline), feeling like the blood is running very fast through my veins and I'm scared I have high blood pressure but I don't as I've checked it, and the light constant headaches that I get for up to 4 or 5 days straight. I too have made an appointment to see my doctor in order to get blood work done and to have my heart checked out as I do every year when I get my annual physical. They never find anything wrong which is great but why the heck do I still feel like crap? Like I'm dying - that my heart with stop beating, I'll have a heart attack or won't wake up in the morning? Why do so many people (100 views when I last checked here) get anxiety and what causes it? I still can't get any real answers except it may be stress related. With that being said, why do most of us get it when we are not feeling stressed? It always comes on for me when I'm not stressed and just watching TV or relaxing. All these symptoms can't be good on other parts of our body & organs. All the stress from having these attacks must be putting a great deal of pressure on our hearts from all the panic and worry - this is what scares me the most. As many of us say here, it's totally debilitating and I'm so tired of feeling like this but I don't get these attacks all the time. In fact, I had not had one in a few years up until a few months ago and now I'm getting them almost daily. I wish I could get a straight answer from a doctor once and for all.

The following user gives a hug of support to qtee4eva:
thaliak (05-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: Heart Racing, Can't Calm Down & Dizziness

Hi
I have been having panic attacks for the last eight years and it is only lately, last seven months or so, that I have been off medication and haven't had a panic attack for more than a year. Thank you God.
I cannot answer the questions in your letter but I can share my experience with you and the way I have learnt to cope with this and it may be helpful.
My panic attacks have started by prolonged severe phsychological stress/ trauma, which created an immediate and automatic fight or flee response from my body, without the intervention of a rational thought. eg. After severe problems with my husband, I felt that if I was ever to get sick I would be totally alone and helpless. This triggered an immediate response every time I would feel even slightly sick and a severe panic attack would start. No matter how much I tried to calm myself, the attacks would keep coming back and would not go away until I would get a tranquilizer.
Then after years of psychotherapy and medication, I have learnt to recognize the triggers and how to avoid them. If an attack became imminent I was able to rationalize it, or rather talk myself out of it. Just by inserting, so to speak a rational thought, into the automatic process I found that I could stop an attack from developing. e.g. Say I feel a little unwell. Before my body starts sweating or hyperventilating automatically , I say :" Hold on here. Are you going to have a panic attack just because of a little pain? It maybe nothing. Just a cold etc." This normally slows down the panic response and gives me time to do something about it, like take some painkillers, or do something which will keep me busy. In this way I have learnt that I am not powerless and that I have the ability to control my mind and my body.
I do not know if all this has been helpful to anyone, but the whole point is to be able to stop the panic from developing by rationalizing the process. That is, to let your mind intervene in the automatic process which the brain has started because it has perceived a consious or subconsious trigger.
I have also found that praying helps me tremendously, precisely because it involves the mind and prevents the body from getting into the automatic panic mode.
Anyway, what I am saying is that there is hope and that we must not give up no matter what comes in our way. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Closed Thread