It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

feelingscared HB User
Veins in thighs randomly become visable with tingling and tightness

Hi All, I've never posted here before so I'll try to do the best I can. I'm a 25 y/o female that recently started having panic attacks and severe physical anxiety symptoms. I've been doing better with it and have been feeling better. However, about 6 weeks ago I started having tingling, throbbing and crawling sensations from my ankle all the way up my right leg. I got an MRI and a nerve test done to rule out MS and they both came back normal. I've started exercising a lot more lately to keep my mind busy and dropped from 123 lbs to 115 in the last month (I've still been eating very well I was just very inactive before). I smoke a little (4 cigarettes a day or so) and drink a few times a month. Starting 2 days ago I noticed that on top of the tingling and crawling sensation that there was a tightness feeling in my legs on and off and that I can see the veins in both my thighs randomly. I'll be able to see them for maybe 20 minutes or so and then they'll go back to normal. Could this be caused by the adrenaline from my anxiety? Or am I overreacting to nothing? I've never noticed the veins in my legs before and I find it very strange that they become visible and then not.

I notice the veins in both legs but the sensations only occur in my right leg. Also, would the nerve test have shown if there was an issue with the veins? Please help, I'm dwelling and worried that my worry is making it worse but I want to make sure it's not something dangerous.

Other notes, there is no swelling, no redness, its not tender to the touch. It just feels strange and it's scaring me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Exclamation Re: Veins in thighs randomly become visable with tingling and tightness

Anxiety causes the body to shunt blood away from the extremities and pool it in the abdomen --- this is part of the "fight or flight" response. The body is trying to protect itself from wounds by pooling the blood in the abdomen. The clotting mechanism in your blood will also become very active. If this goes on for a long time you can experience numbness or pain in your feet, legs, hands, forearms due to poor circulation there. It is harmless. It will go away when your anxiety subsides and your body is no longer in the "fight or flight" state. I experience numbness in my feet when very anxious. The doctor says my feet, circulation and heart are all normal.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
(female)

reallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB User
Re: Veins in thighs randomly become visable with tingling and tightness

Anxiety can do very strange things- the more you focus on a potential ailment the more you seem to have the symptoms. I worried about high blood pressure & could send my blood pressure way up by worrying about my blood pressure. I would talk to your doctor about treating your anxiety either with meds, therapy or both & I am willing to be this will go away. Honestly, if I were you I'd wear only pants and not let yourself even look & analyze your legs. Hang in there, anxiety sucks but treatments do help.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

feelingscared HB User
Re: Veins in thighs randomly become visable with tingling and tightness

Thank you so much for your responses, I've been trying to not dwell on it but I've had tingling/tightness in just one of my legs so I keep thinking it could be a clot, which I know it is not. I just started cognitive behavioral therapy, and I'm going to be doing some anxiety workshops. I had a very bad reaction to both Celexa and Paxil so the doctor thinks that with exercise, therapy and Xanax (only when needed) that I should be able to press through. Since I had my first anxiety attack it's been non stop health concerns. I keep trying to tell myself that all the other things have disappeared and that all of the tests I've had are normal. Its the circle of worry and me noticing things I would have never cared about before that's getting to me. I just didn't know if this was a symptom or not.

Closed Thread