It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
(male)

dogdollar HB User
Riddle me this

Synopsis:
No history of HBP until this year, had some IBS gut trouble that was getting worse after quitting long term anti-depressants (Cymbalta) and also quit smoking. Went to see a gastro doc....said IBS is a disease of exclusion...you need colonoscopy and pelvic plus abdominal CT scan at your age...so I did..everything was clear except during the procedure everyone was freaking about over my high blood pressure......something like 235/130 while I was being prepped...at that time,I didn't even know what the significance of those numbers were. Anyway, the scans were fine and they let me go. My sister had been there with me and had to reminf me that my doctor said I had a BP problem. I got concerned about it and bought a monitor...BP was all over the place, occasionally better than 220/115, other times 114/68. No rhyme or reason to it that I could see. One night, i get home, it's 238/125 and stays that way for three hours....it actually went UP a little. I went to the ER. They brought it down (for the price of a nice used car) and sent me home, said to see my doc. Went to see him the next day, he put me on lisipronol and metoprolol, come back in a week. Weel later, numbers are still really high, raise the dose on the Metoprolol, back in two weeks. Numbers were really good by then...not even pre-hypertension. Thought I had it licked, and all I had to pay for the privilege was to feel horrible and have a chronic cough and migraine headache. Then, one day about three weeks later, i noticed the cough was gone....and i actually felt GOOD. Took my BP and it was 191/112. The medicine, for whatever reason, had quit working after only a few weeks. Back to the doc, switched from Lisipronil to Benicar....did not lower my BP but the headaches were horrendous, went back after two weeks and in the doc's office i had 205/118 (took my Benicar exactly two hours before these readings) so he's freaking out, says he's switching me to Micardis 80mg and I need to take one BEFORE I leave his office, then another one that afternoon and daily after that, plus he said when you get home take a Xanax. Friday I was back to the doc after two weeks on Micardis and numbers are trending slightly lower but still very high, AVG probably 170/96, and now he's added Novasc 10mg. Right now I'm taking the Novasc at 5mg to see how I do with it but it's not helping much. Yesterday when I got home form work BP was 181/107, with all these meds.

Here's my question........and let's go back to yesterday. 181/107 at 1800. Want to know what it was at 1930? 118/71. Why? I took two .25mg Xanax and drank two glasses of wine. That's it. In an hour and a half, my SYS came down 63 points and my DIA came down 36 points. WHY? These meds are supposed to block this and do this and relax this and widen that......they are not doing anything for me. Xanax doesn't relax your blood vessels or block angiotensin........why is it and a couple of glasses of red wine lowering my blood pressure by HALF in an HOUR ?

I want this blood pressure problem to go away, but I'm having a hard time understanding it.

DD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Riddle me this

DD,
Welcome to the boards!

Goodness, your blood pressure is certainly labile.

Has your doctor considered the possibility that you may have "secondary" hypertension?

Next doctors' visit, since all these drugs are not giving you good control, you might want to get very, very specific and ask to be tested for the following main secondary causes:
1) Pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumor-almost always benign and cured by surgical removal. And voila! No more high blood pressure. The test involves a 24-hour urine test for excess of catecholamines.
There is also a blood test called the "Plasma Free Metanephrine" blood test that some say may be even more reliable than the urine test, especially if there is an intermittently secreting tumor.

2) Kidney disorders including cysts or scarring of any kind.
3) Obstruction of the renal artery, the main vessel supplying each kidney. The obstruction is most often due to atherosclerosis, narrowing of the blood vessel due to a buildup of fatty deposits on and under the lining of the artery wall. Ask the doctor if he/she would consider doing a nuclear scintiscan test for this. (renal artery scan).

Just for clarity, a pheo is a (benign) tumor that usually arises in the adrenal medulla.
And then there's also Conn's Syndrome (that's hyperalderstronism) which arises from a tumor in the adrenal cortex (the outer part of the adrenal gland) and produces excessive amounts of the hormone aldosterone.
Different hormones, different tumors, but both affecting the adrenals.

zuzu

Closed Thread