It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

sillygal HB Usersillygal HB User
New Labs and Cortisol Problems

Hello-
I just had labs done about a month ago they were:
(on 75mcg t4, 5mcg t3)
TSH 0.08
FT4 1.71 (0.8-1.8)
FT3 3.52 (2.3-4.2)
These were taken in Urgent Care as I was having very strong palpitations and all over body tremors. My blood pressure was also high (mine is normally low normal/low). They said I was overmedicated, gave me a prescription for Ativan (anxiety med) and told me to decrease my meds.

A week later I went to my naturopath to ask for a cortisol 4-point saliva test as I suspected something wrong w my adrenals, the results are the following:
Morning: 11 H (3.7-9.5)
Noon: 1.7 (1.2-3.0)
Evening: 2.3 H (0.6-1.9)
Night: 0.6 (0.4-1.0)

So my cortisol is sporadically high. I've been taking an herb that is supposed to help control cortisol per the OK from my naturopath. But I wonder if that is enough to reduce the levels on it's own?

I'm feeling like my high cortisol levels might be the explanation for why I've had nothing but problems and no improvement since starting thyroid medication. My endo actually took me off thyroid meds completely (had me taper off) and I just had a blood draw yesterday to see where I'm at. Surprisingly, I've felt better in the last 5 days i've been completely off medication that I have the last 5 months of taking it.

If anyone knows about high cortisol levels and know what causes it and how to lower them, please let me know. Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: New Labs and Cortisol Problems

While I don't know enough about adrenal blood tests to properly interpret your situation, I do know that adrenal dysfunction can make thyroid treatment very "uncomfortable".

Adrenal dysfunction needs to be treated before or during thyroid treatment.

Your FT4 level might have been too high for you and caused your symptoms. I don't think stopping meds was a good idea since you are hypothyroid.

I also think the reason you're feeling better 5 days after stopping meds is due to the fact that some of the meds have left your system so, your thyroid hormone levels are lower (which is probably what you needed).

Reducing your meds seemed appropriate.....

The labs you had done after being off meds won't be accurate since T4 has a 7-day half-life....your FT4 level will be higher than what it would really be if you were off meds longer.

mkgbrook on here is very well-versed on adrenal issues - I hope she chimes in.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
(female)

sillygal HB Usersillygal HB User
Re: New Labs and Cortisol Problems

Thanks for responding. I hope you had a good Christmas or Hanukkah

Yes, I didn't think stopping altogether made since either but he said he wanted to see what my labs would do off medication? He said he would put me back on according to what they say. I'm assuming they'll look not-so-good, so I'm not worried about being put back on meds lol. I was a bit confused as to my cortisol levels being high instead of low. As I know that most hypos with adrenal issues have too little versus too much. Hmmm...

Closed Thread