It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

SuziQ743559 HB User
High DHEAS levels... scared

I've searched and searched this board and others regarding high lab dheas levels, and I've found people, but they never come back and report what they found.

I am 40, female, and my level was 534 mcg/dl with a normal range to 240 mcg/dl. I've gone for further testing, but the endo is telling me test results will take over two weeks!

I have what I believe to be normal periods...may vary by days in cycle, but always have them. I'm not convinced it could be pcos, and I'm scared of the other alternatives.

Can anyone share their experiences with elevated dheas?

Thanks~~

Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
(female)

cheshirecat1 HB User
Re: High DHEAS levels...scared

I currently have a high level of DHEA (583). The doctor at first suspected Cushing's but the Cortisol Test showed a negative. The doctor doesn't know if it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or Cyclical Cushing's.... It's very strange.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

SuziQ743559 HB User

Hi. I'm still waiting on additional cortisol testing. The first one came back normal.
I went to another doc at Emory and she says she is not at all concerned about my levels. She did order the additional cortisol testing so we will have to see what it says.
I did have a ct scan of my adrenals to rule out adrenal tumor. It was clear. Let me know what your doctor decides to do and what you find out!

Thanks for the response!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
(female)

Elegirl HB User

Hi ladies!
I have the same problem. Mine is >600 and I'm about the same age. No one knows what to do with me which is frustrating! I don't feel like I have PCOS either. I don't have any ovarian issues or menstraul cycle. The adrenal issue is big. I also had some other tests in the past and no other cause found.

What's the latest with you two? I want to get mine lowered and only options I have found are low dose steroids or spirolactone both with considerable side effects.

What are you all going to do?

Ele

Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
(female)

SuziQ743559 HB User
Re: High DHEAS levels... scared

I saw a dr at Emory and she said they see it more often, and that
She isn't concerned about it. I did have a ct to rule out adrenal tumors
None found! She said she would not treat it.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

My 14 yo daughter's dhea-s was 416. She had a test to rule out late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia, as she has some symptoms that fit that. Testing was negative. Not sure what to do now....she's only 14!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
(female)

Elegirl HB User

Even if more common I don't think it's good! That wouldn't make me feel any better?

Do you all have any symptoms? I do which is why I can't ignore it. Thinning hair, losing hair, sometimes scalp inflammed etc. one doctor trained at an Ivy league school claimed I had adrenal hyperactivity, but didn't know what to about it. I have had all the available tests to rule out CAH or LOCAH!

I see another new endocrinologist later this month but I'm not to hopeful for help!!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

My dtr has anxiety, facial hair, belly fat. We are using an endo out of NYC, but he hasn't offered us a reason for the elevated dhea-s. I think he wants us to make another appt before he will talk further...sigh.

I agree that just because it's more common, does not mean it's OK. Hello? Obesity is more common, prescription drug addiction is more common....are those OK, too?

Sorry....on my soapbox!

Good luck to you.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
(male)

HonestMach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallie View Post
My dtr has anxiety, facial hair, belly fat. We are using an endo out of NYC, but he hasn't offered us a reason for the elevated dhea-s. I think he wants us to make another appt before he will talk further...sigh.

I agree that just because it's more common, does not mean it's OK. Hello? Obesity is more common, prescription drug addiction is more common....are those OK, too?

Sorry....on my soapbox!

Good luck to you.
lol, that's interesting, I don't think you need to apologize for sopaboxing , I've heard adrenal exhaustion/fatigue, Addison's, etc., can actually cause elevated DHEA (has something to do with reacting to low cortisol.) I can't find much info on this though beyond that. I've been wondering if this is true for me because I've struggled with anxiety issues most of my life - sometimes severe, like panic attacks on a daily basis or every time I went to sleep - many anxiety issues are linked to low cortisol (and/or high adrenaline) levels. I have heard a lot more about DHEA being high in such cases in women than in men... so I'm also having a hard time finding anything informative on the topic... would explain why I have almost every possible symptom of adrenal insufficiency, except for my sex drive being fairly high, though (interestingly an anxiety trigger as well...and causes a variety of nonspecific physical discomforts.. sounds like too much adrenaline AND DHEA to me..) lol...

Have you found out anything since your last post? I'm also in NYC. I'm thinking about going to an integrative doctor who seems to have an excellent reputation from what I've found about her online.. especially for being skilled at diagnosing stuff. And apparently she treats things like adrenal disorders and chronic fatigue (and like 5 dozen other things I've seen listed haha.) I'm hesitating on it though because it seems almost.. too easy, plus I feel like every time I go to a doctor I end up disheartened and regretting ever going, and beating myself up for being so "delusional" thinking I'd find clear answers.. haha. Would you mind shooting me a PM if you have any further insight on this (or on local doctors who are.. um..competent? lol.)

Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
(female)

Colleen0930 HB User

Hi Ladies,

My story:
I'm 47 years old, and I noticed that my hair was falling out at what would have said a rapid rate. I made an appointment with my dermatologist, to see if it was something with my scalp. She could not find any problems there so she sent me to have blood drawn, and see if its from something else. All my results came back fine with the exception of the DHEA level, which was a bit on the high side (312). She told me this is not that high, but never the less she wanted me to follow up with the regular doctor.
I made an appointment and went to talk to him last week, he asked me what the dermatologist thinks it might be (think it time for a new doctor) I told him she didn't say anything but to follow up with him. He then said he don't think there is a problem. (Corrected me if I'm wrong...when you have blood tests done and 1 or more of your levels are either high or low, that usually means there is something wrong, I mean that's why I was sent for blood work in the first place right?)
Well after looking something up on his IPhone, he decided to run more blood work to see if it something hormonal and he also sent me for an Ultrasound.
When I went to for the Ultrasound the tech asked me where the pain in my abdomen is? I told her I had no pain, she had no idea what he wanted her to film.
I have a follow up appointment with him on Thursday, to which I firmly believe I will be told its nothing. End of story.

My question to anyone, Should I go to an Endocrinologist? or even a GYN?

Reply Reply