It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

kc802 HB User
Fatigue & No Energy... Causes?

Hello, I just joined the board & this is my first post! For as long as I can remember I have certain days/time periods where I feel very weak and fatigued.. When I was younger I'd just eat something sweet (chocolate) and the feeling would usually go away. Also it would usually come after playing sports.

As I've gotten older I still get fatigued fairly frequently (at least once a week), but I no longer play sports and it seems to have intensified. I know I don't have the best diet, but I do eat so I don't know why that would be the reason for having no energy.

For example this morning I woke up and literally barely had enough energy to get dressed & felt so fatigued that I had to come home from school (university). This alarmed me as I ate last night before bed & I'm wondering if there may be another reason for this besides my diet?

My muscles feel fatigued and I barely ever have energy to do much of anything. Tired all the time although I rarely if ever nap during the day. If anyone has any insight or knows of some possible causes for this please reply & give me some advice! Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

LHCTom HB User
Re: Fatigue & No Energy... Causes?

I assume from your mention of university that you are fairly young - maybe 20's? There are many conditions that could cause the sort of fatigue you are describing. You are going to need to start by having the basics checked. That means getting a good physical and blood tests to rule out the obvious like Hypothyroid or Anemia etc... A good GP should be able to do this.

Once the simple stuff is ruled out, then you need to go through any other symptoms and history and try and come up with the possibilities that fit your situation. This is called a differential diagnosis. Basically that means list the conditions that fit your symptoms and history and try and rule them out one by one. Unfortunately there is a long list of possibilities given what you have mentioned so far. That being said, I'd make sure you don't have a Thyroid problem by testing your TSH, free T4 and free T3. You should get a CBC and make sure you don't have Anemia. You should get your Cortisol over 24 hours checked with a 4 point saliva test or blood AM/PM cortisol and or 24 hour urine cortisol. Make sure your Liver enzymes look normal. Check your kidneys via creatinine/GFR. These are just the basics but they should be ruled out first. Then the list gets long and messy. I've been through it and its no fun and finding a good doctor is both hard and critical.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

kc802 HB User

I'm 20 years old. I'm often fatigued & have little to no energy. Days when I get like this, it will last all day no matter what I eat. It's fairly close to an everyday thing.

I get very tired, yet am unable to fall asleep so I'm obviously not really "tired". In all I just feel like I'm tired and have no energy almost all of the time. I'm especially fatigued on days when I'm going out of the house. School even exhausts me.

For example on weekends I'm always at my boyfriends house with him and his daughter.. Even taking care of her leaves me very fatigued & literally having to take time to eat or lie down (more then the normal person).

I've always found that I get these symptoms from time to time, but this past year or so I definitely feel they have intensified to the point that it's disrupting my life. I have brought it up to my doctor in previous years and he's sent me for blood work and nothing has shown up.

Not sure if I gave you enough information to give me some more advice or not? If there's anything specific you'd like to know then feel free to ask.. I'd love some pointers if possible.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

LHCTom HB User

At 20, you might ask to be tested for EBV virus which causes Mono

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
(female)

kc802 HB User

Hello. Sorry for taking so long to submit a response. I had bloodwork done & was waiting on the results which I got back this week..

It turns out my Vitamin B12 and Iron were both low. The doctor said this must have been making me feel exhausted; which it was. I now have medication for both problems.

However, any additional information or insight anyone has to give me on these problems would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
(female)

lymiee HB User

iron and b12 are often a problem, especially for ladies. sometimes it is made worse by hypo functioning of your thyroid (google hypothyroidism + anemia)

Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

kc802 HB User

According to the Doctor, my iron was low, but not low enough to be considered anemic. My real problem was the B12 which she said was very low.

Apparently the low range for this is around 138 and mine was at 79. Just wondering if any of you think 79 is extremely low or not? It seems a bit alarming to me.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
(male)

pengu19 HB User

There are lots of foods which contain B12, so I guess the best thing you can do is try to eat stuff which contains it?
You will notice soon enough if the B12 deficiency is causing your fatigue.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
(female)

lillybloom HB User

Did your doctor tell you to take a B12 vitamin to get your levels up? I just read there is an active form of b12 which works well. I think it is called Methylcobalamin. May want to look that up.

You may also want to consider going to an allergist and getting yourself tested for food allergies if the B12 doesn't help. Sometimes we can eat something every day and we don't think that it bothers us, but it can have a cumulative effect. It could even be a preservative or chemical additive in processed foods. Fatigue can be caused by this too.

There was a previous post that gave some other good ideas such as getting tested for mono/EBV, hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue.

I also just read about two more "alternative" tests. One called SpectraCell that tests for not just vitamin deficiencies in the blood, but in the cells which they claim matters more. And another called Alcat that tests for food and chemical sensitivities. Any one hear if these are actually good?

Good luck. If you don't get answers from one doctor, keep looking for the right one that will help you get better. Don't give up.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
(female)

kc802 HB User

Thanks so much for the advice. Since I got my blood tests back I'm taking iron supplements (apo-ferrous sulfate) and b12 supplements (cyanocobalamin) I'm a bit concerned that I will end up having to get the b12 needles as I heard oftentimes the supplements don't work - not sure if this is true or not. I have to go back for more blood work after 3 months.

I was tested for mono with my initial blood work and that wasn't an issue. I have a fairly poor diet & eat little meat.. I'm actually in the process of debating on becoming a vegetarian.

The doctor that I visited about this problem isn't my family doctor as I'm in a different town going to school. However when I'm due for more blood work in 3 months time, I'll be home again.. I'm hoping it won't be a problem to go back to my family doctor and tell him what has went on and get him to send me for follow up blood work. She didn't fax him a copy of my reports. I have a printed off copy.. Perhaps this will be good enough to give to my family doctor?

In all I still have my days where I feel extremely fatigued, like today for example , but those days are less often then before I started taking the supplements.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
(female)

alley1234 HB User

Your symptoms are very familiar. I was finally diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. I felt so tired and run down all the time. Every morning I would wake up for years and feel unrefreshed. It is so extremely hard to get out of bed every morning. Most days it is hard for to think clearly. They call it mental fog. Look up cfs. If you think you might have this I can give you more info. I'm 32 but I've felt this way since I was about 13.

Closed Thread