It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
Anyone have depression after thyroid labs were optimized?

Did anyone here get their thyroid labs in the upper half of their range (free T3 and free T4) and then still feel depressed? What eventually alleviated your depression?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
Re: Anyone have depression after thyroid labs were optimized?

I am sorry to hear that you are depressed...but honestly, meditation and exercise has helped with depression. I feel that the depression isn't as bad when I do take care of myself and keep myself busy. Once I start getting sluggish and out of routine again, the depression creeps back in. I am not big on taking meds to begin with so I try to find alternative ways to get myself feeling better again. Hope you start feeling "normal" again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Spencer1

Let's put it this way - any symptoms that were caused by thyroid dysfunction do dissipate once the patient has been stable at optimal levels for a few months.

Each of us has his/her own cluster of symptoms so, if you weren't depressed before you developed thyroid disease but, are depressed now, there's a good chance it will ease once you've been stable at your optimal levels.

Now, there is a huge number of hypothyroidism symptoms lists out there and, depending on how one might want to "categorize" symptoms could influence the actual count.

I had easily 30 symptoms at one point.....I was down to maybe 5 symptoms that waxed and waned in frequency and intensity as my doctor was finetuning my dose (my levels were in the upper third at this point but, it turned out that my optimal levels are FreeT4 at least 95% of range and FreeT3 at least 75% of range).

Those final symptoms dissipated within a few weeks of my levels being optimized.

I know it's very hard to keep the faith but, if you can have patience for the painfully slow meds titration process, I assure you that any symptoms being caused by your thyroid will eventually dissipate.

In the meantime, if any of the symptoms seem unbearable, I suggest you try to treat them in the meantime.

For whatever it's worth, the amino acid supplement SAM-e is often used as an adjunct to anti-depressants. And, it's been reported as an effective stand-alone treatment as well.

You also might be interested in rhodiola rosea. This particular herb has been getting much attention after 30 years of scientific studies. It's being called the "superherb of the 21st century" due to its far-reaching effects on stress mediation, energy levels, immunomodulation and general balancing of various body systems.

Last edited by sammy64; 03-04-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

There are a bunch of studies on PubMed about rhodiola rosea and depression.

I found this one quite interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17990195

For whatever it's worth, the doctor-authors of "The Rhodiola Revolution" not only take it themselves but, use it in clinical practice. They say that SAM-e is one of the best supplements to take along with rhodiola rosea.

Last edited by sammy64; 03-04-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much, both of you!

I just don't know what to do. I started 50 Synthroid on February 15 (two and a half weeks ago) and I feel like I have MORE exercise intolerance now?

What the heck? I know I've read on here that during the meds titration process, new symptoms could appear, but it's so hard for me to have faith in the process when I feel like some things are just getting worse. My biggest complaint is that I am stuck on the couch all day.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much, both of you!

I just don't know what to do. I started 50 Synthroid on February 15 (two and a half weeks ago) and I feel like I have MORE exercise intolerance now?

What the heck? I know I've read on here that during the meds titration process, new symptoms could appear, but it's so hard for me to have faith in the process when I feel like some things are just getting worse. My biggest complaint is that I am stuck on the couch all day.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I, too, had a worsening of symptoms during the first six months of the meds titration process. And, yes, I had new ones develop. This is, unfortunately, what most of us go through as our bodies adjust to finally getting much-needed hormone.

I would hope that you understand how your labs show the need for meds.

Once you "cross over" to a state of wellness, you will fully appreciate just how good optimized thyroid hormone levels can feel.

It's worth every effort.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much, Sammy. That is encouraging. I will keep the faith in the process and continue down this road of misery! I'll keep everyone posted

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Spencer1
lisa789 (03-05-2012), sammy64 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Sammy (and everyone else) - did you ever have adrenaline rushes, blood sugar issues, or anything of similar nature during your thyroid issues?

I get adrenaline surges at night and I have read on some internet sites that my adrenals may be damaged or fatigued. I am so worried. I know someone on here wrote that the body wants to maintain homeostasis and that if the body is not getting enough thyroid hormone then the adrenaline kicks in. I just worry so much that I will not be able to raise my thyroid meds because of adrenal issues or I may get RT3 or something.

Anyone have experience with this?

Closed Thread