It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

Farrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB UserFarrah10 HB User
Desperate for Answers. No one can figure out.

I have no clue what's wrong withme! I've bee. Suffering for 5 weeks with nearly 24/7 shortness of breath, chest pressure like in middle of chest, tightness pressure in throat, heart palp in throat and head, adrenaline surges sometimes 20+ times a night. Needless to say I can't sleep bc it's worse at night and it wakes me up all night. I wake up In a panic be ause of the intense pressure like I'm having a heart attack. I get randomd feelings of anxiety.

I've seen 4 cardiologist and all came back good but I'm still concerned heart and worried they're not taking me serious bc I'm 30. My pulmologist is currently treating me like I have asthma but inhalers aren't helping me breath better. Could this be hormonal or endocrine? I also have had hashimotos for 4 years. Tsh is currently 3.78.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
(male)

Mojo37 HB UserMojo37 HB UserMojo37 HB User
Re: Desperate for Answers. No one can figure out.

I've been having the same symptoms for approximately 8 months now. I thought I was going to drop dead many times. I've seen cardiologist, neurologist, gastro, internist, etc and I am still searching for an answer. The gastro told me that I have atrophic gastritis and to my surprise I also have candidiasis of the esophagus which as far as I know only people with compromise inmune systems get (HIV, Chemo, etc). I do not have HIV and as far as I know my inmune system is fine. My gastro believes that I have some kind of autoinmune problem going on but we are waiting for the results of a stomach biopsy to come back. He said that if I don't have H. Pylori then my problem is autoinmune. I know that candida is causing a lot of my symptoms. Everytime I get really sick I get a racing heart, crazy muscle twitching, can't sleep at night because of my heart freaking out and what feels like an adrenaline rush and just like you said it can happen 20+ time a night. It is a terrible feeling. I also get a dry cough, joints pain and a lot of chest pain when it happens so that makes me believe that it is that candida dying off or something like that. One thing that helps me a lot is Kefir and tylenol or motrin PM. Do you also have stomach issues? Dry cough, joint pain? Hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
(female)

Wow it's awful isn't it?! I don't have stomach issues well not often anyway. I do have hashimotos but other that have always been ok until 5 weeks ago.
The chest pressure is the scariest thing right now because im terrified i have cardiac failure and theyre just missing something.
Please keep me posted on what you find out. I pray we both get answers soon!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Dear Farrah and Mojo,
There are some basic things you can do to help sort out some of this. Getting a pulse rate and blood pressure during these adrenaline surges can be helpful. If pulse rate or BP is significantly high, a rare adrenaline producing condition (pheochromocytoma) can be ruled out. This usually causes bad headaches from the blood pressure spikes, and flushing, and is very rare. More commonly, autoimmune conditions can cause these symptoms, and if you have one (hashimotos) you are more likely to have another. I would ask your PCP to check a basic panel or combo of tests to screen for lupus, rheumatoid factor, sed rate and CRP, chemistry panel, urine, and chest xray if that hasn't already been done. Lastly, pure anxiety can cause these symptoms, and if nothing else shows up to explain it, that could be the culprit. Ruling out hyperthyroidism is important too, but Farrah, your TSH is not indicative of that. The joint pains can certainly accompany autoimmune conditions, and an echocardiogram would be worthwhile if that hasn't been done to check out the chest pain, pressure and SOB.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
(female)

I do get migraines but always have. I have a cuff so I will check my blood pressure. I have had 3 echo grams.Im going in tomorrow to get more blood work I will ask for this as too. Now why is it so hard for me to belief anxiety can cause all this?? Do people with anxiety really have physical symproms all day and night??
Thank you for the insight it does help.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-27-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
(female)

I'm curious about the pheochromocytoma. I wonder If you always have to have high blood pressure with this? I tried to look that up but not fidning anything. My blood pressure is always good. I'm having surges tonight but blood pressure is staying about 103/74.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Actually, anxiety can occur any time of day, and nighttime is sometimes the worst because you tend to be more aware of body sensations, and have no distractions to keep your mind off your worries. But it is important to check out the physical things that may cause these symptoms before coming to that conclusion. The asthma inhalers can make you anxious, shaky and make your heartrate increase, but do not usually cause chest pressure. Costochondritis, an inflammation of cartilage between ribs and breastbone can cause significant chest discomfort, and is characterized by tenderness when pressing on the cartilage. Your Dr. could do that on physical exam when you see him/her. I hope you get some answers. The adrenaline surge feeling might respond to a beta blocker medication, but that would just be treating the symptoms. Sometimes it is worth it for comfort sake or while waiting to get other test results. These are Rx, so you can discuss with doc.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
(female)

Thank you. I'm currently nursing so I don't think I could take a beta blocker. Costochondritis has been ruled out by my chiropracter. Although my ribs whre the muscles are do seem a lttle tender. Oh the body in a mystery. I appreciate the help so much

Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
(female)

bluesc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah10 View Post
I have no clue what's wrong withme! I've bee. Suffering for 5 weeks with nearly 24/7 shortness of breath, chest pressure like in middle of chest, tightness pressure in throat, heart palp in throat and head, adrenaline surges sometimes 20+ times a night. Needless to say I can't sleep bc it's worse at night and it wakes me up all night. I wake up In a panic be ause of the intense pressure like I'm having a heart attack. I get randomd feelings of anxiety.

I've seen 4 cardiologist and all came back good but I'm still concerned heart and worried they're not taking me serious bc I'm 30. My pulmologist is currently treating me like I have asthma but inhalers aren't helping me breath better. Could this be hormonal or endocrine? I also have had hashimotos for 4 years. Tsh is currently 3.78.
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say I am having very similar symptoms since May as well. They came on very suddenly. I went to the hospital and had tons of tests run with everything coming back normal. I've seen the cardiologist, neurologist, gastroenterologist, internist, and endocrinologist. Had a chest xray, CT scan of head and chest, MRI and MRA of head and neck, echocardio, stress test with echo, full blood panel, urine test for a tumor on my thyroid, more blood work for my thyroid, ultrasound of my gallbladder, and probably something else I have forgotten. Everything has come back normal.
Two medications have helped with the symptoms, but I have no idea of what is wrong. Metotoprolol 50 mg (a beta blocker to control rapid heart rate) and Ambien (for sleep).
If I find out anything else from my future doctor appointments I will post. Please keep me informed too!
Thanks and I hope you get some sleep tonight.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Farrah10! If I was looking for diagnostics a couple of professionals that might help with diagnostics might be a nephrologist or an endocrinologist. Of course every one chooses his own healthcare. Sometimes chemicals taken into the body can make things worse and in my opinion the vast majority aught not to be used, but healthy lifestyle habits may improve the situation. If fruits, vegetables, grains or nuts that were in the diet have been left out I would eat them unless there is an allergy or sensitivity. Sugar can cause panic and anxiety attacks also adding to the adrenaline issues and should be avoided. Peace, sjb

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
(male)

bluesc,

I have the same symptoms as well since November. The only two meds that help me as well are Metoprolol 50 and Sleeping pills like Tylenol PM, Motrin PM or just the walmart brand over the counter sleeping pills. Nothing else works and doctors have no clue of what is going on with me. I've seen tons of doctors as well and I live in the same place.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mojo37:
sjb (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
(female)

bluesc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo37 View Post
bluesc,

I have the same symptoms as well since November. The only two meds that help me as well are Metoprolol 50 and Sleeping pills like Tylenol PM, Motrin PM or just the walmart brand over the counter sleeping pills. Nothing else works and doctors have no clue of what is going on with me. I've seen tons of doctors as well and I live in the same place.
So sorry to hear someone else is having all these symptoms. It's miserable. I tried to cut my metoprolol down to 25 mg and it is simply not enough. I think I will have to take the 50 mg again. My cardiologist really was pushing me to keep checking with an endocrinologist since he couldn't find anything at all wrong with my heart. (I wore a heart monitor for two weeks and it showed nothing during all the episodes I recorded.) I stayed in the hospital for 4 days and nothing showed up. I'm glad to hear good results on these tests, but am so discouraged that they cannot find what is wrong.

Last edited by bluesc; 07-18-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
(male)

bluesc,

Any updates? My doctor said that we need to start looking for a functional tumor because I have symptoms similar to those of a functional tumor. I just want to feel better already. I've been like this since November. I hope you are feeling better.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
(female)

Hi all,

Curious if anyone has any updates? I was gone for awhile because all my symptoms just went away but suddenly they are back again. Would love to hear from some of you again.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings I would try to think about the activities I had done and the food I ate and even things in the environment that might cause allergy symptoms in the hours and even days preceding any symptoms. Peace, sjb

Reply Reply