It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

meghancoughlin HB User
Question Advice Please... 9 yr old adrenal issue?

Hi everyone,

Hope one of you experienced folks can help me out. My 9 yr old son was diagnosed with celiac disease and glucose intolerance 7 months ago. We thought our sons' problem had been solved. However, his symptoms of fatigue, irritability, weight gain, depression, severe brain fog have actually increased. Interstingly, his glucose levels have also dropped from pre-diabetic levels to low normal range (i.e. morning fasting: 80 and random evening level of 90-115).My son had always been very thin but has gained 20 lb in the past 12 months depite adopting a gluten free and low sugar diet. ADHD had been suspected from age 7 but we had to wonder about the validity of that after trying 7 different meds to no avail. Also, his psychiatrist really didn't think ADHD was the culprit either. We've done quite a bit of testing and have ruled out thyroid as well as other autoimmune issues.

I suspect an issue with adrenal function as the 8 am cortisol result was 5 and the 4 pm result was 5.9. My poor kid has been to so many doctors in the past year, went to a peds endo and was referred to a geneticist for mitochondrial testing which came back negative. Since then, I've made an appointment with a different peds endo but am unsure if the above symptoms and the cortisol result warrants further investigation.

Should we embark on yet another appointment and request the ACTH stim test or do all this seem out of the realm of adrenal insufficiency.

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply