It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
How often should they check me?

I was diagnosed with border line cortisol levels in July. The doctor sent me for a test once after that in Aug, and nothing since then?
The test came back normal but they did not tell me if it was low normal, just that it was normal. I don't feel very good lately, but my symptoms of diarrhea, fatigue, nausea and joint pain may all be related to the crohn's disease that I have. How often should he check my cortisol levels?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Re: How often should they check me?

Dorri, was your Cortisol tested with a blood test or was it done with the saliva test? Are your symptoms worse in the afternoon/evening than they are in the morning? Cortisol is almost always higher in the morning so symptoms seem to worsen later in the day. Have you tried supplementing with Vitamin C for your adrenal glands? Was your ACTH tested as well?

Cortisol affects the muscles in your body which includes the intestinal tract so it may be that your crohn's disease may be affected by your low Cortisol. I suggest that you get tested again and request the tests from your doctor as it will help you keep track of your progress by any drugs that your doctor prescribes as well as for any vitamin supplements that you take.

If you are having symptoms of adrenal fatigue or a hormonal imbalance your doctor needs to test your thyroid and adrenals for a deficiency or presence of anti-bodies until he/she finds how to make you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Re: How often should they check me?

Thanks for the reply.

I had no saliva test done. I had ACTH blood work done, asked to fast and come in first thing in the morning. However our clinic didn't open till 8 am so was the first one in line. When I had the previous ACTH blood test done last July, I had to come in at 7:30 to another clinic which changed nothing because I still had to wait till around 8 am. I also had to go back in around 5 pm for more blood work. These first tests are the ones that came back borderline. The follow up came back normal according to the doctor. I assumed the ACTH test was my cortisol levels???

I had taken an occassional prednisone to help with the diarrhea, but it was only one 5 mg and then I wouldn't take anymore because I'm not supposed to go back on pred because of osteoporosis. I know this sounds crazy, but I would actually feel better for 2-3 days afterwards in general, with less body tightness, muscle weakness, pain and even a decrease in diarrhea, although it didn't take it all away plus I would actually have an appetite for those brief days. Lets say it lessened it for a very short time. After the 3 days, symptoms came back but twice as bad. Twice I tried this with the pred.
I have periods of fatigue around supper time, but it was worse before when the GP doctor said it came back okay... I sleep in late in the morning, so I don't really feel the fatigue then. I go to bed very late, like around 2 am and sleep till 9 or later in the am.

It's all confusing.

Reply Reply