It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

XtremeMisery HB User
Please help!!!

Hello, I am new to this forum and hoping I can get some answers. I have a very complicated case and the doctors have no idea what's going on. My Aldosterone has been elevated as well as Renin since October. I had CT and have two adrenal adenomas. The tricky part is with primary hyperaldosteronism the renin is usually low. I first had levels in Oct and they were high, then was put on diuretics as I have edema, acute hypertension, and high HR always. My labs were even higher than in October (this was End of Jan) and I had been admitted to ICU with severe hypokalemia three times. The nephrologist questioned diuretic induced edema and high levels d/t starting diuretics, but I stopped all of them. My hypertension got worse and cardiologist started labatelol and cardizem. After 8 weeks off diuretics (suggested is 2-4 wks) I just had labs redrawn and both Aldosterone and Renin still elevated. I'm not sure on Renin, but Aldosterone is 140. They are thinking could be renin producing adenomas or pheochromocytoma. I have very low urine output and have to self Cath from atonic bladder. My urine output is only 200ml/day. My bun/cr are stable besides in Feb I had pre-renal failure. I've had bad headaches, numbness/tingling in hands/forearms/feet. Had nausea vomiting constant for 40 days and have lost 14 lbs since April 1st. I don't know much about this new adrenal stuff, but I'm miserable. Any help interpreting these levels and symptoms greatly appreciated?
Thank You.
Lizzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Please help!!!

Lizzie, one other thought: there are people who have multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN) and can have adenomas in several endocrine glands, so I would want to get thyroid levels checked, as excess thyroid can cause fast heart rate, high BP, weight loss, also calcium levels to consider parathyroid adenoma. Pituitary hormones should be checked too. MEN is a hereditary disorder, and there are two types. It is imperative you get a very clear diagnosis of all glands involved, or else you'll get one thing treated and still be sick, because some other adenoma is lurking and causing problems.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
(female)

XtremeMisery HB User

Thank You! Ladybud...my cardiologist actually mentioned MEN syndrome on my first initial consult. He has talked about doing a full body MRI or CT, but I've had so many CT's with my eight surgeries and complications they said I'm at high risk for cancer. My colorectal surgeon said may need to scan brain to r/o some type of tumor...including adenoma or other causing this persistent nausea/vomiting. My thyroid levels were always ok except this last draw they were borderline hyperthyroid. My hormone dr didn't do anything for now, but she's convinced all if my issues are endocrine/nephrology related and not related to all my bowel/pelvic/bladder disease. My calcium is either normal or intermittently on high side. My hormone dr who's also internal med spike with cardiologist and they are lining up imaging. I'm not sure what? What should I recommend? Thanks for your input.
Lizzie

Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would say an MRI of brain to R/O pituitary adenoma and an ultrasound of parathyroids and thyroid since you have had intermittent high calciums and borderline hyperthyroid levels. Some types of MEN can include thyroid carcincomas. Also for parathyroid, your parathyroid hormone levels should be checked, and will be high if adenoma exists. That would steal calcium from your bones and cause osteoporosis.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-01-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Reply Reply