It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
Post Why are the elderly so cold

My Mother-in-law keeps her heat set on 88
in the winter and in the summer she doesn't
turn on the air conditioning at all, we
live in Alabama and you really do need
air conditioning. We have a joke at our
house "Going to Grandma's for Christmas
Dinner, get out your shorts and Christmas
T-shirt."

It is very uncomfortable for any of us
to go over there, we sit and sweat,
on my Father-in-law's birthday (June 8)
my son said "I would get so hot sitting
outside, I would go in the house, then
I remembered why I went outside, it's
cooler outside"

At our house she sits and shivers, is there
any thing that we can suggest to her that
would help her not be so cold? She is
really not that old, 74 and we know some
people older than her that are not
freezing when it is 80.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 10:46 AM   #2

Kre HB User
Many times the elderly have poor blood circulation to the extremeties and this keeps them on the cool side. Sometimes medications will thin their blood also. Lack of activity will also keep the blood from circulating as well.

The best thing is for the elderly to wear warmer clothes than others so the temperature can be at a more normal setting but they don't. My parents kept the house 99 degrees in the winter and wore summer clothes. When I visited I wore the lightest weight clothes and still be covered as possible because it was hot, hot in there. I would open an outside door to let out some of the heat while they sat in front of the heater enjoying the heat.

Since it is their house, others should wear appropriate clothes, use a circulating fan on them when working such as in the kitchen, but not blowing on the elderly. The elderly have a right to be comfortable in their own home.

Many times I would lower the thermostat and cover them up with an afghan while they were resting/napping in their recliner hairs.

Just remember that we all we will be in their shoes some day if we live long enough and may be freezing too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Monday1954 HB User
You are right about them not dressing for the season,
you are also right that we will someday be their age,
for me it is only 24 years until I am my mother-in-law's age. This freezing stuff has been going on since
1990. That only gives me 11 years till I might reach
that stage. I will write some rules that I need to
print out and save them for my own old-age.

1. When it is winter I will wear sweatsuits, socks and a sweater if I am still cold. It is always easier
to keep warm by adding layers.
2. I will try to stay aware of others comfort when they visit my home. If I see sweat dripping from their faces onto the Thanksgiving turkey I will put on some more clothing, especially if they are already wearing shorts and t-shirts.
3. If I visit my children's home in the winter I will not wear my short sleeved cotton shirt with nylon stockings, I will dress as though I am going to Sibeia.
4. If I visit in the summer I will take a sweater to ward off frostbite. Again I will wear socks and shoes, no nylons.

I am going to email this to myself and print it out and keep it to remind me of how others feel.
Anyone having any thing to add to my list feel free.

Closed Thread