It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2004, 06:50 AM   #1

Aditi HB User
smelling bad as you get older

I read something on the internet about when we grow older, we start to secrete a fatty acid known as palmitoleic acid and that once a person--whether male or female--hits 40, the volume rises sharply. The volume of palmitoleic acid released by the human body is 10 times as great among people in their seventies as in their forties which causes a certain odor. I am 50 years old. Even though I take a shower every day and use deoderant, etc., this smell will come through, although I cannot smell it, maybe because I am too close to it. And I live alone so no one is close enough to me. As anyone experienced this and found something to eliminate it? I don't think masking it with anything cosmetic will work. Perhaps a supplement of some kind?

Old 03-24-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: smelling bad as you get older

I work around people of all ages, and I can't say that I've noticed one particular age group smelling any different than another. The only time I notice a bad smell eminating from someone is if they haven't washed their pits and groins, or changed their underwear.

I'm 42 and have been told by more than one man that I smell nice. So unless they are all into "grungy fatty acid smells", I don't think you have anything to fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi
I read something on the internet about when we grow older, we start to secrete a fatty acid known as palmitoleic acid and that once a person--whether male or female--hits 40, the volume rises sharply. The volume of palmitoleic acid released by the human body is 10 times as great among people in their seventies as in their forties which causes a certain odor. I am 50 years old. Even though I take a shower every day and use deoderant, etc., this smell will come through, although I cannot smell it, maybe because I am too close to it. And I live alone so no one is close enough to me. As anyone experienced this and found something to eliminate it? I don't think masking it with anything cosmetic will work. Perhaps a supplement of some kind?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Aditi - I think you're worrying needlessly. If you shower every day, wash your hair and launder your clothes you won't smell. Maybe it would make you feel more confident if you splurged a little on some expensive body wash or a shampoo that smells delicious. I like one that's Rosemary/Mint fragrance.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #4

Ptruglia22 HB User

aditi,
i have the same problem. I am only 22. I take 2 showers everyday and never wear dirty clothes. In went to the doctor and found out my liver numbers were high and i have cronic constipation ( I think this is all realted )

I would go to the doctor and have some blood tests done. This is as far as I have gotten. I am sure this has nothing to do with age, hope it helps

Old 04-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I think smell that you're talking about is real. I have worked with the elderly quite a bit and noticed an odor sometimes. The odor often comes from people that appear well groomed. I could never figure this out, now I quess I know why.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Some perfumes or after shave can change odor on people. My mother-in-law smelled terrible and I searched for the reason. Finally found out that perfumed hand lotion she used was changing when it mixed with her skin. Pheweeee......was so glad to find the cause. Tossed the perfumed items and no more odor.

The lotion smelled great in the bottle but not on her.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:24 AM   #7

NickNorm HB User

Let me give you some advice..First, Don't try to mask oders with fragrances, as over 38 million people in this Country, including myself are very sensitive to perfumes and other things containing scent of any kind...I'm 74 years old, and my Wife is 71.. We take daily showers, and I believe that if one does that, there is very little danger of offending others......and no, I do not believe that older people have any oder that is different from younger people, as long as they keep their bodies clean...

Old 05-04-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I worked with the elderly when I was younger and there was an unusual odor to some even if they bathed, but being in a nursing home all the odors mixed together would make anyone smell. Now that I'm 56 and have been around more I don't notice any unusual smell coming from people alot older than me. Now some elderly live alone and may not bath as often do to poor health or energy to get in the shower, I found that when we would visit the shut ins that there was something to that, I often asked if they needed help in the shower etc and some were more than glad to have assistance.

Old 05-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

I learned about this in my graduate studies on the aging. It's not due to anything being secreted. It's that as we age, our sense of smell begins to diminish and the oil production in the body slows down. So, many elderly bathe less than they used to. But, some end up bathing too little because they can't smell it their body odor.

Also, when they put on cologne or perfume, they often put it on heavier than before, because that's what it takes for them to smell it.

Last edited by microwave; 05-08-2004 at 07:32 PM.

Old 06-20-2004, 07:10 PM   #10

dalesgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller
I think smell that you're talking about is real. I have worked with the elderly quite a bit and noticed an odor sometimes. The odor often comes from people that appear well groomed. I could never figure this out, now I quess I know why.
Working in a nursing home I can say that even the ones who look extremely well groomed and what not still have an odor. Part of it has to do with the fact (and sorry if I offend anyone) that I've noticed so many of them want to wear dirty clothes. They believe they haven't gone anywhere, or done anything and so their clothes are clean. By state laws they are to get two showers a week. Now, the ones that are able to do it themselves without assistance can do it every day so even only two a week could cause an odor. However, I know of two residents who REFUSE to take two a week and insists on only one. Trust me by the time shower day rolls around the soap would have no problem finding them. I think it just simply boils down to simple hygene myself.

Old 07-03-2004, 10:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptruglia22
aditi,
i have the same problem. I am only 22. I take 2 showers everyday and never wear dirty clothes. In went to the doctor and found out my liver numbers were high and i have cronic constipation ( I think this is all realted )
Bad smell, constipation, elevated liver enzymes = thyroid problems.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:06 PM   #12
Veteran

lateeth HB User

I have noticed my husband smelling different as he has gotten older and usually do not get so close to other men, but I remember my dad having a simialar odor. It is nothing like the smell you have when you haven't showered. I cannot smell myself.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

LOL OMG what we have to reach OR hope not!!!

Old 07-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #14
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

Try taking more vitamin Ester C, at least 1000MG's daily and 400IU's of vitamin E... Keep your diet balanced. We all never want to, but we all know how to keep our diets balanced...

Closed Thread