It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Do taste buds and digestion change as we age?

It seems like I can't eat what I use to (spicy foods, some sweets, and chips)! I'm in my early 40's and I didn't think that these changes would take place so soon. It seems like now when I eat potato chips, my tastebuds feel irritated, when I eat spicy food, I get acid reflux. Is this all aprt of aging?

Old 12-08-2004, 11:07 AM   #2

susieq52 HB User
Re: Do taste buds and digestion change as we age?

I don't know but I've been thinking that things don't taste as good to me for a few years. I can't eat chips anymore because they taste too salty to me. I guess that's good for my blood pressure. I wouldn't eat any of the good stuff like chips and sweets when I was younger because I was afraid of getting fat. Now I can't eat it because it doesn't taste so good but I keep gaining weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

The gaining weight thing could be your metabolism slowing down. I know that happens when we get older

Old 12-13-2004, 03:43 AM   #4

susieq52 HB User

I think they've changed the foods, like adding additives and preservatives. They're afraid of getting sued. McDonalds food is so bland now. The meals I make at home are much better than in a restaurant. My cookies taste better than the ones you buy in a package from the supermarket.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
(male)

EseStud HB User

If you maintain a healthy diet consistently from when you're a kid, these problems with poor metabolism as a result of aging don't appear so rapidly. That's how I look at it.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq52
McDonalds food is so bland now.
You should come to where I live. Many times my b/f and I have gotten fries that were WAY too salty (and we both really like salt...if they are too salty for us, what must people who don't like salt think? ) If you ask for fries with no salt you get them fresh made and you can add your own.

Of course, it's not so easy to sue in Canada (where i am) as it is in the US.

Yes, it is possible for your taste buds to change as you age. Digestion also changes...same for animals which is why there are "senior formulas" in pet foods. As you age your digestive system can't tolerate the "flavouring" it used to. You have two choices: either use the same amount of seasoning and suffer the consequences (as i usually do) or take your meals with less seasoning, or even with no seasoning.

Good luck.

Closed Thread