It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
(male)

EseStud HB User
why do i have grey hair? stress, hygeine, or environmental factors?

I have been getting grey hairs ever since i was in high school. Does anybody have an explanation? I hear that it's because of stress, but I don't think I get stressed out too much all the time. I can do a bunch of things to reduce my stress if I have it, but that still doesn't work! I don't know what else to do, I notice this when I look at myself in the mirror, but I'm not quite sure if others notice it. It seems to be one of those things that you can easily see if you look really closely, but my hair looks pretty much normal (black) from a standard distance. If anybody has any suggestions, fell welcome to express them, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User
Re: why do i have grey hair? stress, hygeine, or environmental factors?

It could be heredity. How old were your parents when they started getting grey hairs? My "father" was in his early twenties. My mom was in her late twenties, early thirties, and hers go snow-white. I take after my mom's side that way...mine go snow-white also. Like my maternal grandmother before me, I have very few white hairs at this time (i'll be 33 in 3.5 months). Eventually they will become more noticeable, but my gramma's hair was mostly her natural colour right up until she became very sick last summer.

If you are uncomfortable with the grey hairs you could cover them with hair colour. If you don't want a permanent colour and don't want to deal with "roots" when your hair grows out just use one of those rinses that wash out gradually in 6 months or so.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Genetics. I'm 45 and have one grey hair - in my eyebrow. I plucked it out. We blondes tend to go grey later, anyway, and dark hair tends to go grey sooner. I don't think it's a health threat?? These days, you can have whatever color hair you want, so have fun with it!!

Old 01-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Oooh I have a section of grey hair that that I haveb been trying to get rid of for 4 years. At first it was not noticeable till I started pulling them out. I swear the at saying is true if you pul them out 10 more will come back. My momma said she had a section of grey hair also when she was in her teens. Then it just went away and came back in her 50's. I feel like Marrianne (I think that was her name) from the Munsters tv show. So off searching I went and so for this is what I have found out about gray hair. This is copied from my notes off another website so if ya happen to read this somewhere else that is most probably where I got this from.
As we get older, the pigment cells in our hair follicles gradually die. When there are fewer pigment cells in a hair follicle, that strand of hair will no longer contain as much melanin and will become a more transparent color - like gray, silver, or white - as it grows. As people continue to get older, fewer and fewer of these pigment cells will be around to produce melanin, and the hair will eventually look completely gray.

People can get gray hair at any age. Some people go gray at a young age - as early as when they are in high school or college - whereas others may be in their 30s or 40s before they see that first gray hair. How early we get gray hair is determined by our genes. This means that most of us will start having gray hairs around the same age that our parents or grandparents first did.

Other things have been linked to getting gray hair earlier in life. Poor nutrition (especially not getting enough B vitamins), thyroid problems, anemia, and even smoking can all contribute to the body's aging process that causes gray hair. Some diseases, such as AIDS or treatments for cancer, can also make people's hair turn gray while they are young.

Gray hair is more noticeable in people with darker hair because it stands out, but people with naturally lighter hair are just as likely to "go gray." From the time a person notices a few gray hairs, it may take more than 10 years for all of that person's hair to turn gray.

Some people think that a big shock or trauma can turn a person's hair white or gray overnight, but scientists don't really believe that this happens. But just in case, try not to freak out your parents too much. You don't want to be blamed for any of their gray hairs!
I wil have to get the notes from my momma that I took on some herbal tea that you rub on your gray hair and supposivley over time it's suppose to go back to it's natural color. *shrug* sounds fishy to me but she saids she woul let my dad try it first.

Jenteal

Closed Thread