It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Whats the most difficult to deal with...

being georgous in youth and losing it to old age or never being georgous, and hence, never having to lose your looks?

I was wondering this as I was watching some awards ceremony and was thinking about how devestating it is going to be when the likes of JLo, Britney, Beyonce et al see their physical beauty fade as they age and they are no longer 'hot chick'.

My boyfriend however, believes its harder for regular people to age because at least these beautiful celebs had a least a moment when they felt stunning.

I know this is a weird question, but I'm curious what others think.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
(female)

Erika2610 HB User
Re: Whats the most difficult to deal with...

Part of me agrees with him. But when you have enough money, like ALOT of actresses, plastic surgery will keep you looking forever young. Look at say Joan Rivers. She's like 107 and still looks what 50 or so? Dick Clark's like 120 and looks 50 or 60 somethin..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika2610
Look at say Joan Rivers. She's like 107 ..
HAHAHAHA!! LMAO. That is TOO funny!!

Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Yeh, Joan Rivers looks younger than her daughter now! She has had so many face lifts that if she smiled too wide her face would flop off, she almost looks plastic. Forever young looking, the key is having the money to do so. I think it is rather difficult for us ordinary folks to look in the mirror and wonder who that person is. Have you gone through all your old pictures and saw yourself at 25 and think, WOW, I wonder what happened to her? Like a different person that you hardly knew, it is strange but true for me anyway.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

I think it must be harder to be gorgeous at a young age and then face getting old. That's why they keep having plastic surgery - just to get back to when they were the center of attention.

I've been average-looking all my life (although I did have a couple of days there when I may have reached a 9) and I'm really not feeling the loss of my looks.

At this age (56) I'm thinking that I'm glad I was average and intelligent rather than gorgeous with no incentive to develop my brain.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I agree with the comment above, "I think it must be harder to be gorgeous at a young age and then face getting old." People that are gorgeous ,at least the ones I know, seem to be run by their looks. They have to pick out their clothes just right. They have to wear their hair and makeup just right. Can not go to the store with out full makeup and dressed to kill. They spend most of their time getting facials, and hair cut and colored every 6 weeks they go to the gym faithfully. Oh what a dreadful day if they happen to be sick and were not able to go. Then they will starve themselves all day and kill themselves the next day at the gym.
They will never be able to just be themselves, at least the ones I know.
They spend their time dressed to the hilt to impress others. To me that is just sad. Sure I dress up but I am guilty of going to the store in my hubby's boxer shorts, Haines white tee shirt and tennis shoes with hair in a ponytail and no makeup.
IMO Brittney is not that cute anymore. Her face has just lost that innocence.
I like Joan Rivers but I never see her face close up anymore. I think it's time she stopped. I saw.. Dang her name just escaped me.. She was Chrissy on "Threes Company" she is like 55. She needs to stop with the injections. Her face looks to puffy. At that age you need to have a few flaws in your face to make it look natural.

Jenteal

Old 02-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenteal
People that are gorgeous ,at least the ones I know, seem to be run by their looks. They have to pick out their clothes just right. They have to wear their hair and makeup just right. Can not go to the store with out full makeup and dressed to kill. They spend most of their time getting facials, and hair cut and colored every 6 weeks they go to the gym faithfully. Oh what a dreadful day if they happen to be sick and were not able to go. Then they will starve themselves all day and kill themselves the next day at the gym.
I had a special event to go to and wanted to look REALLY good so I did the high-maintenance chick thing for about a month and I can tell you it was hard freakin' work!!! Facials, hair, buying makeup, dress, shoes, bags. yadda, yadda.

I just don't know how girls can live like that. I've been mid-maintenance but going to those expensive stores and looking at magazines is totally depressing. You start feeling like yo'ure a freak.

I'm glad to be back to my grubby sweatpants.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
I had a special event to go to and wanted to look REALLY good so I did the high-maintenance chick thing for about a month and I can tell you it was hard freakin' work!!! Facials, hair, buying makeup, dress, shoes, bags. yadda, yadda.

I just don't know how girls can live like that. I've been mid-maintenance but going to those expensive stores and looking at magazines is totally depressing. You start feeling like yo'ure a freak.

I'm glad to be back to my grubby sweatpants.
I HATE most of those magazines because you do not have to spend a fortune to look nice in an outfit, and you do NOT need to look like a stick to be beautiful. Some of the women are way too thin, and Veggie girl your right, one may start feeling like a freak because they don't look like "stick girl" and subconsiously they feel that's the ultimate picture of beauty. I know we weren't even talking about weight issues, but it used to fool me for a while to be honest with you. And another thing, our society is so focused on youth that most of our subconscious minds (whether we know it or not) become sort of like "ashamed" to age. It's so PROGRAMMED in most of society's minds that aging is bad and shameful because youth is usually the main focus when it comes to beauty, and being beautiful, or trying to be,(magazines, billboards) which can become an obsession to some. But how can you blame them when it's everywhere. Ultimately, it's a choice one has to make...like not to buy those magazines lol, and just buy educational magazines for example. Like alternative medicine, prevention magazines or something like that.

Last edited by Jess75; 02-20-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

I just turned 50 and when I look in the mirror, I keep pulling back and lifting up my face to see how it would look! I already had my eyes done and fairly pleased. I had very hooded upper eyelids and bags underneath. It was about three years ago, but the doctor didn't do enough on the upper eyelids, so I have to get them redone!

Anyway, I'm all for plastic surgery if that's what you want to spend your money on. I'm saving for a mid face lift and upper eyelid redo right now. I'd like to get a forehead lift also, but don't know how much money that will take. I think if plastic surgery makes you feel better about yourself, it's worth every single penny.

Live well!

Old 03-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Inactive

MarifromPR HB User

Yeah I too like plastic surgery if you have the money to do so and you want to do it. I did my nose and I feel great about it, wished I had done it when I was 17. I would never do so many face lifts like Joan Rivers as I grow old, but I would consider a little lift if I have the extra cash at the time. It's fun to be in the surgical table for beauty LOL!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #11
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

My partner is a therapist in Los Angeles. His practice has lots of clients who are models, actors. actresses, and wanna be's, as well as your average person. He can not really talk about his clients or the therapy but we have had this discussion before. He had told me that it really varies- but many of the beautiful and handsome people who come to him are the most insecure people , more then your average person. Many of them do not really see their physical beauty because in Hollywood they are always having to be better then the next person. Many of them obsess over their appearances and will express they do not feel they are attractive. Some go to extremes at young ages with plastic surgery. The guys have the same issues as the girls. Models who are aging and have no other career to turn to or are not in a relationship, tend to have a really hard time. But then again he has said many of them have created other lives and go on to other careers and they do fine. Alot of their stuff shows un in the relationships they have- that is why many of them seem to be in one relationship after another with someone their equal. Having the money, looks, and fame can really screw some of them up if they do not know how to stay grounded. Their lives are so insuluar. He has said me to several times he is glad he is not a famous person, because of the pressure he hears about from those who are.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
And another thing, our society is so focused on youth that most of our subconscious minds (whether we know it or not) become sort of like "ashamed" to age. It's so PROGRAMMED in most of society's minds that aging is bad and shameful because youth is usually the main focus when it comes to beauty
You are SO right!! How unhealthy a society are we that we feel shame, actual shame, in aging?

Its very sad and very scary - especially for females.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
My partner is a therapist in Los Angeles. His practice has lots of clients who are models, actors. actresses, and wanna be's, as well as your average person. He can not really talk about his clients or the therapy but we have had this discussion before. He had told me that it really varies- but many of the beautiful and handsome people who come to him are the most insecure people , more then your average person. Many of them do not really see their physical beauty because in Hollywood they are always having to be better then the next person. Many of them obsess over their appearances and will express they do not feel they are attractive. Some go to extremes at young ages with plastic surgery. The guys have the same issues as the girls. Models who are aging and have no other career to turn to or are not in a relationship, tend to have a really hard time. But then again he has said many of them have created other lives and go on to other careers and they do fine. Alot of their stuff shows un in the relationships they have- that is why many of them seem to be in one relationship after another with someone their equal. Having the money, looks, and fame can really screw some of them up if they do not know how to stay grounded. Their lives are so insuluar. He has said me to several times he is glad he is not a famous person, because of the pressure he hears about from those who are.
Wow, thats really interesting. Hmmm...your partners job must be fascinating!!

I'm suprised too that men have issues also - I figured that guys don't feel the same as women about aging.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:28 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

cdenk HB User

I think how you feel about aging relates to how vain/shallow you are. I think that people who embrace getting older and not looking like a kid anymore are happier on the whole that those who are soooo wrapped up in looks.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Just watch the tv programs on plastic surgery and how these people think. Very scary.

Also, notice how many women in the "arts" have very wide mouths (from lower face lift), eyes that look like they're deer in headlights (eyebrow lift), lips that look like they've either been socked in the mouth or have duck-lips (injections or tubal like device implanted into the top lip), cheeks that look like chipmunks (cheek implants), chests that have round half-balls with 8 inch gap between them (breast implants waaaay too big for the figure)....and on and on.

I recently saw a program about a beach in Italy and the women were mostly small breasted, natural and from my perspective awesomely beautiful. There's something to be said for natural beauty.....for the stuff they do now is so plastic looking it's becoming laughable. Beautiful actresses such as Meg Ryan, Melanie Griffith, Marg Helgenberger just to name a few have that "look"...and it's a pity they will continue for the rest of their lives looking like "that".

No going back.

Am I totally against plastic surgery? Not at all. I'm against plastic surgery that's setting the mindset for the "new look" of scary and stunned looking people.

Role models for beauty?....they ain't no more! ;-b

quincy

Closed Thread