It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
What gives a person's age away?

Although all the listed contribute to aging, in your opinion what gives a persons age away the most?

1. lines and wrinkles

2. stooped posture

3. grey hair

4. saggy loose skin

5. other factors

I ask this question because for the last couple of months I've been receiving a Senior's Discount at more than one place. I'm offended. This kind of hurts because I still don't qualify for one age wise, not even the 55+. When this first starting happening I mentioned I'm not a senior, now I don't even bother. When I look at myself, I don't see a whole lot of difference, yet they see me older than I am before my time, and that may be trivial, but it still bothers me. My self esteem has gone way down. Did anyone else take this transition hard? I have to face it, I'm getting old, and I'm looking old! What is it that's making me look so old????

Last edited by dorri; 05-06-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
(female)

iridescentsea HB User
Re: What gives a person's age away?

The skin-not just the wrinkles but also elasticity of it. I usually pay attention to the skin in order to estimate a person's age. But then some people have great skin at 50+, and I have seen people shrivelled like a prune at around 40. Also, to me, estimating the age of overweight people is especially difficult.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: What gives a person's age away?

Thanks for the reply. I've seen firsthand that people with extra fat on their face seem to retain their plump youthful skin better than the skinney minney. I happen to be one of the skinnies, and look like I'm headed more in the direction of the shrivelled prune. I hardly have any sag, just lines and wrinkles without any plumpness to my skin. I guess the elasticity and collegen stores have dwindled.
I've read that menopausal women who have more fat in their bodies also tend to produce more natural estrogen in their cells, so it explains why they may look younger for a longer period of time.

Last edited by dorri; 05-06-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Personality and clothing too. I used to work for this company and I'm always pretty friendly with lots of energy and i dress pretty hip and I remember talking to one woman one day and she was shocked when I said I was 30 - she thought I was between 18 and 22.

Also, I know a guy who is very quiet, serious and reticent and he was only 20 when i met him and i thought he was about 26.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridescentsea
Also, to me, estimating the age of overweight people is especially difficult.
You're so right! My mom is overweight and her skin is like a 30 year olds!!

Old 05-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

dorri

are you possibly dressing frumpy at all? i think that always ages people

Old 05-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
dorri

are you possibly dressing frumpy at all? i think that always ages people

LoL, maybe sometimes. I dress sort of inbetween. At times I put on something and think it's too young for me and I should dress more to my age and sometimes I put on something and think it's too old for me.... so I put on what I feel good in. I use to wear black very nicely, now I find it looks too matronly and I feel older in it.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:48 AM   #8
(female)

archie9uk HB User

I would agree that what you wear definitely influences people estimating your age. But as far as your actual body is concerned, I would say the biggest giveaways are the skin on your neck, creases round your eyes and the backs of your hands, as well as whether your hair is grey. Maybe you can fool people a bit by dyeing your hair, doing exercises to tighten the skin on your neck and using lots of moisturiser. Ultimately, though, it's down to genetics whether you need to make any effort to look younger.

My grandmother is 87 now, but until she was about 75 people did not believe she was a pensioner! She always dressed well and carried herself well (stood up straight and looked confident), and her skin was smooth and soft, although I don't think she ever used anything other than soap and water on it. The main thing, though, was probably that she was not grey. She has blonde hair and only started to go grey (at the sides, by her ears) in her mid seventies. My Dad is 61, and he hardly has any grey hairs. People don't believe he is retired now. Hopefully I've inherited some good genes!

Old 05-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Archie, what a nice story about your grandmother (What a lucky grandmother) I guess it is all in the genes. Last month I went for coffee with an elderly friend. She was mentioning to me that she had just celebrated her 80th Birthday. I told her that she looked too young to be 80. Although she has a few pounds she wants to shed, her skin doesn't have a line, freckle or spot on it. It's flawless. I asked her what she was using on her face, and she said " Ah some cheap cream, nothing special" I know that tanning is bad for the skin, but I think the genes have a lot to do with it also. Thanks

Old 05-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #10
(female)

iridescentsea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri
LoL, maybe sometimes. I dress sort of inbetween. At times I put on something and think it's too young for me and I should dress more to my age and sometimes I put on something and think it's too old for me.... so I put on what I feel good in. I use to wear black very nicely, now I find it looks too matronly and I feel older in it.
I like black too and I wear it quite often. If I wear a black top, I make sure that I wear a vivid colored skirt or the other way around.

I forgot to say that gray hair definetely makes anyone, man or woman, look older. I went gray young, in my mid-twenties, and ever since I have been religiously coloring my hair every month. It definetely helps.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorri
It is difficult to dress age appropriate without looking dowdy. I am now 34 so I'm at that age where I have to stop dressing so 'cutesy' coz I'm starting to no longer look like a 20 year old.

Maybe you should buy a magazine like Marie Claire or In Style as they have great tips on fashion - esp for various ages. Also, older celebs may give a clue as to whats fashionable for someone in their 50s. But, I think a nice pair of straightlegged pants, a fitted shirt in a nice bright color and some pointy shoes peeking out from under the pant leg looks good on anyone from age 16 to 80.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I do have some grey hair sprinkled throughout. I have very fine hair, so I only use the gentle hair dye (not permanent) which is only good for so many shampoos. It darkens most of the hair, but does nothing for the grey. After a couple of shampoos it makes me wonder why I bothered dying it in the first place. I know I need a permanent hair dye, yet worry that it is going to damage my fine hair. The last thing I need on top of all this is hairloss. I do have fun going up and down the isles checking out all the fabulous new brands and colors. They always look good on the box. Does anyone know if a water based hairdye will be less damaging?

Old 05-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
It is difficult to dress age appropriate without looking dowdy. I am now 34 so I'm at that age where I have to stop dressing so 'cutesy' coz I'm starting to no longer look like a 20 year old.

Maybe you should buy a magazine like Marie Claire or In Style as they have great tips on fashion - esp for various ages. Also, older celebs may give a clue as to whats fashionable for someone in their 50s. .
Thanks, the magazine advice is a great idea.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Besides having the foresight to pick parents with good genes (LOL!), I think attitude says a lot. While I know I don't look my age, I would if I acted/dressed it. Now that doesn't mean that I can show my belly button but I can dress in style for the times not for my grandmother's. My mother is 82 and doesn't look a day over 65...and at 58 and 59, my sister and I consistently are considered early to mid 40's. Take care of your skin - clean it, moisturize it and keep it out of the sun. Have a stylish hairdo, color it if it needs it (and I don't mean just if it's gray....if it's lost its luster, and some pizzaz to it!), wear up to date clothes (and I don't mean the latest preppy chino's from the old line catalog houses). AND DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR ACHES AND PAINS! We all have them...they are a fact of like and soemone is worse off than you).
Work out...whatever you can do....walk, weights, jog, Pilates, whatever and do it consistently and for life. When you quit, your body will quit and you'll be on a downhill slide. Oh, and put a smile on your face!

Old 05-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #15
(female)

iridescentsea HB User

BBC America channel has a programme called "What not to wear". I learned great tips from that show. How to pick clothes according to your body type, right colors,right hair cut, etc.

Closed Thread