It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
What is Dermabrasion?

I always thought this was where you went and they put some acid all over your face and for two weeks you looked like you stuck your head in the oven and got burned??
I hear women saying thay had this done now and they look fine not burned and it is only a few days. I have sun damaged skin. I look good for age but the spots just kill me and now that jawl thingy is happeing.
I can get old but I hate this skin and spots. I wouldn't mind having something professional like a dermabrasion that didn't burn your face up like the one Doc told me.
Think my face is to bad for the new peels they have over the counter but they do say they work now. And ideas about a skin peel..god I would love t see no spots, i don't een care about th few wrinkles as much as the age spots. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: What is Dermabrasion?

Dermabrasion is a method of surgically removing the top layer of skin.

Acid or chemical peel uses a caustic solution that burns the skin.

Be careful and choose a qualified doctor to do either one or you could end up with an ugly scarred face.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I have been having microdermabrasion and glycolic peels done every month for the last year by a trained clinician. I also had many sun spots/freckles/ and sun damage on my skin having lived in S. California my whole life and spending a lot of time in the sun.
I no longer go in the sun and wear sun screen everywhere. The dermabrasion and peels are amazing. My skin is very smooth and soft, and most of the sun sport/freckles are gone. I would recommend it to anyone.
I know there are over the counter products now that do it but I am a little nervous about them. I prefer spending the $ and having it done.
Since I have been having it done I am always told how lovely my skin is and I feel it really is. I also follow up with a morning and evening routine on my skin as well. It makes my skin glow.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Armadillo pie,
Can you tell me more? You go ever month for this? I know one person who went and they put something on her face..she looked like she stuck her head in the oven for like two weeks and she said it hurt. It did give her beautiful new skin but I don't want that.
What your doing sounds more reasonable and less painful. And this is what I have read people are doing with visits to a spa or a derm I guess. I have spent my life in the sun and have spots I just hate now. My derm won't do lazer on me and doesn't do the dermabrasion. How do you find someone who does that?
Are you red after, does it burn, can you go to work? Sorry for the questions but I would be so happy to have this done gently..

Old 06-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

debyduper HB User

I also have dermabrasions and chemical peels done on a regular basis, you can even go weekly-dermabrasion does not involve any chemical fluids - it is a machine that uses tiny crystals to basically exfoliate the old skin off-which is what our skin does naturally but it just speeds up the process-not painful and no freaky after effects.......chemical peels are just what it sounds like, a chemical solution is placed on your skin and left for an amount of time..you start off slowly and build your time as your skin builds a tolerance for it...it soaks in your pores and works more on those as opposed to the dermabrasion that works more on the surface....more than one treatment is needed of either to see the best effects...NO there is not any insane burning or freakshow redness.....now if you have some very serious acne scarring or deep wrinkles,not lines, a plastic surgeon (and only a plasyic surgeon)can give you a peel that is horribly strong and has a "downtime" of at least a week that would be very red and painful, but would help tremendously......but normal peels and dermabrasions are no big deal and do help alot for lines,acne,roughness,scarring...and just to bring back that youthful glow....but one needs to use a good skin care regimen along with these, or anything....I hope this info helps!

Old 06-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

My daughter, 34, had several micro dermabrasion sessions at one of those spa things; not by a doctor. She had almost perfect skin before; now she looks slightly younger, slightly prettier. AFter 3 treatments and 3 months the cost got to her and she now just exfoliates with the exfoliators that look like sand in a jar with a liquid of some sort. She said it didn't hurt BUT I believe that someone of my age would get the Cut Up Glass treatment as opposed to her sanding treatments LOL
I'm a little nervous about trying it but I have 2 light brown aging spots from years of heavy sunbathing I like the old connie stevens face things I get on an online auction--fruit acid in a little pump jar I doubt anything would get rid of these brownish spots other than a laser or chemical peel

Old 06-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Hey everyone, let's not confuse MICROdermabrasion and DERMabrasion. I have read the previous posts and some of you are using them interchangably and possibly causing some confusion.

Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure that takes about 45 minutes. It can be used for mild scarring, light discolorations, and very fine wrinkles. After the procedure, your face may look a bit red for a couple hours, but after that you are fine. In fact, most people go right back to work or other activities after a microdermabrasion treatment. The treatments are usually set up in intervals, one prodedure ever two weeks, and it take a series of six or more to see full results. Microdermabrasion treatments average about $125 per treatment, depending on where you go.

Dermabrasion on the other hand is an invasive procedure where you are indeed put to sleep. The top layer of your skin is removed through the use of chemicals so an entirely new layer of skin will be able to emerge. After a dermabrasion treatment, you will need at least a couple weeks downtime, as your face will need to stay bandaged and tended to. Yes, your face will be deep red, peely, and even oozey for a good part of those couple weeks. This procedure is used for deep wrinkles, scarring, and extreme discolorations. Dermabrasion is also more expensive, usually up into the thousands of dollars.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit

Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Microdermabrasion is like a little suction device that has grains of sand or something flowing around the nozzel. When put close to your skin is sloughs off the top layer of your skin.

Chemical peels are where a acidic liquid (ie glycolic acid) is applied to the skin for 5-10 minutes and then neutralize and washed off.

I've had both, both with good results. I got Micro from Bliss Spa and the peel from my derm but the dermabrasion was $250 and the peel was $100 - so, you can guess which one i will NOT be getting anytime soon!!

Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

My daughter was tired of paying for micro; she got the little crystals you can buy anywhere and she rubs those in instead. I have them, too. I wonder what the difference is? (besides the fact that the operator's tool vacuums up the crystals/skin cells at the same time)

Old 06-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Well thank you girls for all this information now. I have learned now the difference.
I was told by a PS that the peel was like sticking your head in an oven and getting burned!!! Ouch..That was years ago when I didn't need it. Now I need it but it isn't worth it to me now....
Someone said they have a few brown spots, from the sun. When I was younger my derm used to burn them off with some acid. It would turn brown and then in a few days just peel off and the spots were gone...But stupid me kept going in the sun and now there are too many. (sigh)
I used to use that Connie Stevens machine and her creams for years. I loved them and my skin was always so nice but now I don't find her stuff anyplace and can not use the little machine without her jar of jel that made it work!!

I guess the Microdermabrasion would help me to feel better but sure my face will never glow enough with that Lol. I need the oven burn and I am to scared to do that even though I have seen people take on a whole new skin like a baby. I have also seen some problems so you just never know.
Anyway I thank you all for the help of what is what and now I know.

Last edited by sunshine12; 06-26-2005 at 08:38 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:16 AM   #11
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

I had a series of 12 microdermabrasions done, mainly becus i have blotchy, red skin, leftover from my acne days. I have seen an improvement and would do it again, but you really can't expect to start seeing results until toward the end of the series.

I would do it again, tho it's expensive. Good luck. Go for it. Compared to most other things, it's really very safe.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 PM   #12
(female)

debyduper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie4u22
Hey everyone, let's not confuse MICROdermabrasion and DERMabrasion. I have read the previous posts and some of you are using them interchangably and possibly causing some confusion.

Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure that takes about 45 minutes. It can be used for mild scarring, light discolorations, and very fine wrinkles. After the procedure, your face may look a bit red for a couple hours, but after that you are fine. In fact, most people go right back to work or other activities after a microdermabrasion treatment. The treatments are usually set up in intervals, one prodedure ever two weeks, and it take a series of six or more to see full results. Microdermabrasion treatments average about $125 per treatment, depending on where you go.

Dermabrasion on the other hand is an invasive procedure where you are indeed put to sleep. The top layer of your skin is removed through the use of chemicals so an entirely new layer of skin will be able to emerge. After a dermabrasion treatment, you will need at least a couple weeks downtime, as your face will need to stay bandaged and tended to. Yes, your face will be deep red, peely, and even oozey for a good part of those couple weeks. This procedure is used for deep wrinkles, scarring, and extreme discolorations. Dermabrasion is also more expensive, usually up into the thousands of dollars.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
(female)

debyduper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie4u22

I am sorry, but these two are definitely the same thing-nothing to do with putting you to sleep...you are referring to an extreme chemical peel(thus the word chemicals involved) there is more than one term for microdermabrasion,dermabrasion,skin resurfacing,skin rejuvenation...etc. etc. Trust me-I have researched it,seen it,and had it

Old 07-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Lalli HB User

If you're patient, you can buy St. Ives Hydroxy Peel-Off Masque. I'm 21 and had extensive acne scars that would show through layers and layers of makeup. That was 4-5 months ago. I started using this around the same time, twice a week, and my face is almost completely normal. It's extremely easy to cover up. It has lactic acid in it.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debyduper
I am sorry, but these two are definitely the same thing-nothing to do with putting you to sleep...you are referring to an extreme chemical peel(thus the word chemicals involved) there is more than one term for microdermabrasion,dermabrasion,skin resurfacing,skin rejuvenation...etc. etc. Trust me-I have researched it,seen it,and had it
I don't mean to start a controversy here, but I too have done my fair share of research and talked to my plastic surgeon, and he has explained to me the difference in them both - there is a difference. I had microdermabrasion. He told me if I want to go to the next step, it would be dermabrasion. Yes, local anesthesia and a sedative is most definitely used with dermabrasion, and is not used with microdermabrasion. In more severe cases, a general anesthetic will be used with dermabrasion and the patient will most definitely be put to sleep for the procedure.

With dermabrasion, you WILL have scabbing, peeling, and will need recovery time. Unlike microdermabrasion -virtually no down time, and the most common side effect is redness for a few hours and minor flaking.

Yes, I do understand what a chemical peel is. In my post I made an error to say that dermabrasion uses chemicals - dermabrasion does not use chemicals. Dermabrasion involves the use of a rotating wheel or wire brush to deeply penetrate the skin, while microdermabrasion uses crystals to remove the the top layers of skin, and does not penetrate nearly as deep as dermabrasion. Think of it as the difference between sandblasting (microdermabrasion) vs. rotary grinding or sanding (dermabrasion).

Chemical peels can be quite harsh also, and require similar downtime to dermabrasion. But they are not the same thing.

All the terms that you refer to are often used interchangably, but I am quite certain they are in fact not the same thing.

Last edited by Cassie4u22; 07-08-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread