It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

hnchew HB User
Camellia oil or Jojoba oil has greater anti-aging properties?

Recently, I read up on the uses of carrier oils as mositurisers. Two oils caught mine attention, namely camelllia oil and jojoba oil. However, I am not sure which of these offers a better anti-aging strength?

Anyway, how do you define a good anti-aging product?

Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

iridescentsea HB User
Re: Camellia oil or Jojoba oil has greater anti-aging properties?

I don't know if they have anti-aging properties but I have been using pure jojoba oil on my face twice daily, it is the best moisturized I have ever used. It is also recommended for acne-prone skins.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-22-2006 at 04:57 AM. Reason: If you are the first person to reply to a post, please do not quote the post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

Camellia has greater anit-aging properties because it contains antioxidants and I don't think jojoba has any.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the great property of camellia as a carrier oil is its content of oleic acid, which is an Omega 9 fatty acid.

As the oleic acid content of an oil increases, the skin more readily absorbs it, and it reaches a deeper level into the dermal layers, which is something that most "anti-aging" products/creams cannot do.

I think that manufacturing process can impact the percentage of oleic acid content, and Silkia brand claims to have to best oil, many of the forum users support this product.

I myself have been looking at other (perhaps less costly ) oils with high concentrations of oleic acids to use as moisturizer ingredients and have seen that oilve and almond oils are both very close. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mellowfish; 06-21-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

You are right about the oleic acid thingy but I've read from the site that camellia oil also contains potent anti-oxidants which makes it a big plus compared to other oils that just have high oleic acid. Antioxidants neutralize and protect the skin from free radical damage generated by sun exposure and/or a polluted environement. These free radicals damage the skin cells DNA and cause skin aging. That's how I understand it.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
(female)

hnchew HB User

ok. So it would means that high oleic acid percentage allows deeper absorption into the dermal layers of the skin, which in turn allows better moisturisation. However, moisturising the skin is not equivalent to anti-aging. We still need antioxidants to prevent free radicals damage that causes skin aging. So far am I on the right track?

Camellia oil has the best moisturing ability compared to jojoba oil, and also contains some antioxidants that jojoba oil do not. Henceforth, camellia oil is a better anti-aging and moisturising oil.

As mentioned by mellowfish, olive and almond have also high percentage of oleic acid (and less costly of course ), which makes it a good moisturiser. However, it does not have strong anti-aging properties like camellia oil since our skin requires antioxidants to delay aging.

Correct me if I am wrong, this seems to be what I gather from the responses above.

Last edited by hnchew; 06-22-2006 at 12:36 AM.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

If you have read somewhere that camellia oil contains antioxidants, I would not hesitate to agree, considering the oil is cold pressed and comes fron a plant. However, if you have read somewhere that olive or almond oils do not contain antioxidants, please direct me there so I can see what kind of contradictory evidence is presented.

Not only are olive, almond, and some other types of oils known for their "healthy" fat content, but they are also rich in antioxidants, especially noteworthy are olive and avocado oils. Nearly all "good" plant foods contain antioxidants and usable enzymes, as humans we've caught on pretty good that what's good for the plant is great for us too. This is not obscure information, just realize where you are getting your facts from.

The sun causes skin aging because the UVA,-B, and -C rays are able to penetrate throught the top layers of your skin. This is why SUNSREEN is the best way to prevent premature wrinkling. It should also be taken into consideration that the free radicals causing intracellular damage to the skin are mostly generated under the skin's surface, inside the body. If they weren't generated in the dermal layers below the skin, the cells would not exist long enough for the signs of aging to become visible. Skin creams "rich" in antioxidants have very little effect on cellular respiration, and antioxidants are just as unstable as free radicals, rendering them unusable when exposed to air if they were even useful in the bottle to begin with. If you are really concerned about free radicals, take extra Vit C and/or other antioxidant supplements by mouth, that way your body can actually use them. Your skin grows from the inside to out, not from the out side to in. Skin products that base their benefits on the antioxidants contained in them are generating income by selling a bunch of hype.

If you really want to take good care of your skin, drink a lot of water and stay well hydrated, every day, all of the time. A little sun exposure is OK, but you should still wear sunscreen on not just your face, but on other parts of your body as well. Use a good moisturizer. Allow the majority of your diet to consist of whole fruits and vegetables. Maintain good circulation to the peripheral of your body (outer skin). Niacin, not the flush free kind, is good for this. Massage, saunas, and dry brushing are wonderful for this too, with other benefits as well. You can supplement your diet, but be smart about it. Eat only good fats, and be aware of how everything you consume affects your body. Cheers.

Last edited by mellowfish; 07-01-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #8
(female)

JanD HB User

I have been using Silkia Camellia oil for about a month and see a big difference in my face. Love it.

Janice

The Following User Says Thank You to JanD For This Useful Post:
BillieR57 (08-26-2011)
Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #9
(female)

Shkodekwe HB User

I too have just started using Silkia Camellia. It has been about 3 weeks (twice a day) and have notice a big difference in both my face and neck.
Love the stuff..

The Following User Says Thank You to Shkodekwe For This Useful Post:
BillieR57 (08-26-2011)
Old 08-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #10
(female)

Passion1965 HB User

I've been using Camellia oil since June,my skin has never been so smooth.

The Following User Says Thank You to Passion1965 For This Useful Post:
BillieR57 (08-26-2011)
Old 08-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #11
(female)

Texanne HB User

Please: I have oily skin, and don't need or use any moisurizer, just sunblock and/or foundation. How would I use these oils? AM and PM? I am very interested.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
(female)

missbrit HB User

can camellia be bought in a store or only online????

Old 08-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanne
Please: I have oily skin, and don't need or use any moisurizer, just sunblock and/or foundation. How would I use these oils? AM and PM? I am very interested.
You can just use the oil in PM if you don't want to use in AM. If you use it AM also, use before foundation, sunblock goes on last. The oil makes the foundation glide on very smoothly.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbrit
can camellia be bought in a store or only online????
Online only as far as I know. I haven't seen any in my area.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:08 AM   #15
(female)

Texanne HB User

Thanks, Waterlily.

It is so hard to imagine deliberately putting oil on my face. Do ya'll know of any place that has free samples?

Closed Thread