It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User
brown age spots

i really sun damaged my skin in my youth and now at 45 my hands are covered in brown age spots which really embarrass me,any solutions most welcome,sad mum

Old 07-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
(male)

enthusiast HB User
Re: brown age spots

Avoid sun exposure when you are outdoor. Use an umbrella to shield yourself. Appy sun block to prevent it from getting darker. Appy some kind of whitening products. It may help to lighten up the spots.

Last edited by enthusiast; 07-21-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Also the type of fats you consume influence this as your skin cells membranes are the first to take the brunt of the suns UVA/UVB rays. These fats oxidize easily to heat and light so eat a stable fat like monounsaturated fat (olive oil,avacados etc..) as these will slowly protect your skin cells from the suns damage. Olive oil also is high in Polythenols (powerful antioxident) Think of it as an internal sun screen....

Last edited by 6foot3; 07-22-2006 at 06:58 AM.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I just had some age spots removed from my face by the dermatologist. For some reason, I've gone blank for the name of what the doctor used. It's a type of acid that she put on a long q-tip. It stung a little, but it wasn't bad. The spots turn into a scab and fall off. I found that it's the only thing that works for age spots. I will find out the exact name of what the doctor used.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

I have an extra strength bleaching cream that I got from a dermatologist in Palm Desert. I had used a milder one before but it really did nothing for the brown spots on my face. This stuff is great and after 5 days the spots are a lighter brown and old skin is falling off. I am very happy.. I had liquid nitrogen once which froze them off and they formed a big scab and eventually came back even bigger. The true solution is the Yag laser, which is extremely costly and does a great job for rough red patches and brown spots....can not afford that .....Karen

Old 08-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User

update is i bought a pure vitamin e oil and dabbed it on the brown spots every night and after 2 weeks it has certainly reduced the appearance and density also much lighter but not taken them away but do recommend if cost is an issue,having said that they may continue to reduce with further use,will update,sad mum

Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #7

honorbright HB User

I have tried many fade creams in the past with absolutely no success. Since cost is also a major consideration with me, I decided to try castor oil. It worked amazingly well, removing a large brown spot that I had on the back of my hand for years. I think it would probably take longer to remove multiple spots, but it sure can't hurt to try it. Hope you have results as good as mine. I am now using the castor oil to remove brown spots elsewhere!

Old 09-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
(female)

Texanne HB User

I am trying a new product called "Phase 13" that I ordered from an online drug store. I can't remember how I came to hear about it, but the reviews where 4 1/2 or 5 star every where I checked. It was $37 at this place, with free shipping, and I just got it yesterday, put it on last night. It says the active ingredient is 2% hydraquinone, which is just standard OTC amount, but it also has the kojic acid and other things that I have heard are effective for lightening hyperpigmentation. All the reviews were positive, and most stated a definite difference in about 2-3 weeks with application 2 X per day. It is specifically geared toward age-related hyperpigmentation, and hormonal melasma. We'll see!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

DITTO, what Afterglow said.
I saw this on a national news program.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User

Update,continued with the pure vitamin e oil and added a good bleaching cream by avon which i only dab onto the spots to stop the rest of my skin whitening and the results are great,think i wil always have to use it but the cost is minimal and very little effort,sadmum

Old 09-10-2006, 06:23 AM   #11
(female)

Texanne HB User

sad,mum,

I'm "feel" like my PHAZE 13 is working-it seems like my melasma is easier to cover with make-up. There was an Avon product that I loved, called "Luminosity", but I have oily skin, and it aggravated my acne. I used the whole thing anyway, and my husband said my hyperpigmentation was gone. But it will come back if you don't keep sunblock on all the time! It lightened my skin enough that my husband was complaining that I looked pasty. (This was winter, and also coincides with no sun + daily sunscreen).

This Phaze 13 (yes, it's a 'z') is a serum, not a cream and it makes my skin burn mildly, and turn pink. Aesthetists will tell you that is a good thing, with any anti-aging product, because it means the product is strong enough. But if the Avon is working, all the better.

Keep us posted.

Tex

Old 09-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Where can we buy the Castor Oil???

I use the Avon Banishing Cream and Triluma but am not concered over the above post about them causing cancer
What is a woman to do

Old 09-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User

hi bell99,it wasnt castor oil it was pure vit A oil,in all good health shops
age spots improving and could cover with normal make up now,sadmum

Old 09-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Oh Some one Posted about Castor Oil and I got it and it works great too

Old 09-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Dear Honorbright:

How is the castor oil working for your other spots?

Closed Thread