It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

pweaverling HB User
Lightbulb Re: What is the BEST wrinkle/night cream?

When I visited my mom in a nursing home, across the room I saw an elderly woman who had a beautiful complexion without a wrinkle. After a few months I couldn't stand it and had to ask her daughter (who was in her 60s) what she used. She said, (would you believe) "she has used Crisco all her life". Maybe it's the constant lubrication. Leather will dry out and wrinkle if you don't oil it. Maybe that's all you need.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
(female)

BchGrl HB User
Re: What is the BEST wrinkle/night cream?

Wow,
Did the Crisco wearing elderly lady have acne scars from breaking out from the greasy Crisco?!?!

I don't know if I believe her. I'm sure we would have heard of that by now and do you really think someone would be comfortable putting that on their face every day? I think someone here should try it for a while and let us know how it turns out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
(female)

Afterglow HB User
Re: Crisco as an anti-aging cream?

I've read claims by relatives of a couple of women (both elderly) they they use Crisco all their lives and had flawless skin. I've never known anyone personally who did it, though.

Last edited by Afterglow; 10-21-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Ladies, believe it.!! Crisco is an excellent product for keeping the skin lubricated, soft, supple. My gyn doctor prescribed Crisco for below dryness, worked better than Premarin Cream. I see no reason why Crisco would not be good for the face unless your face tends to break out. I have used it on my hands as well as my legs/feet. Crisco does not leave the skin greasy like you would think. Best to use a small amount and let soak in. If you use too much, sure, skin will be greasy. My gyn claims many little old ladies almost take a bath in Crisco to help their dry skin.

Crisco is a pure vegetable shortening without harmful additives.

Crisco does not absorb into the bloodstream and raise cholesterol. I have excellent LDL, triglycrides, HDL and total cholesterol after 30 years using Crisco.

Just think of all the years making pies for the family I always hurried to wash every speck of Crisco from my hands not realizing it was good for them.

Another cream excellent for face is the old fashion "Ponds Cream" with blue lid. Apply to damp face and it works wonders for a base for face powder after it dries. Ponds Cream does not break out my skin, I have Rosacea. Had acne for many years, teen years as well as adult years.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Really?
I'm a Crisco pie crust baker!
Yep, wash my hands immediatly!
I ONLY bake home made pies twice a year though, so it's not like I'm out to kill everyone with transfats.
Anyway been getting lots of flack from my elderly mother about my pie crust and transfats.
(Shoot I won't even bake it till Nov and she is already yelling about it)

Anyway I never considering greasing my skin...
lotion yes, Crisco no.
I have extremly dry skin and use lots of commercial lotions.
I do however have a problem breaking out when something salty touches my skin.
I get blisters (yes blisters) even on my eyelids when I prespire (natural salt in perspiration)

Does Crisco have salt in it?
You mean the hard Crisco..right.. not the oil.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i' glad i read this. never thought of crisco. have used olive oil at times. the women in my family are very lucky they all have good skin into their late 80's. i used to use ponds cold cream years ago and thought it was wonderful. i don't know if they make an unscented now but i have sever allergies and had to stop using it because the scent made me sneeze. have also put straight emu oil on my face at night. it absorbes fairly quickly and in the morning am as soft as a baby's behind.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

No, Crisco does not contain salt.

Yes, it is the solid Crisco shortening that comes in a can or in sticks, not the Crisco oil.

My cupboard is full of commercial lotions and creams, all kinds, but the Crisco works the best. A small amount applied to a damp skin works better than using on dry skin.

Misty

Old 08-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

I used Crisco as a skin softener at one time; then olive oil for my severely dry skin. Now I use silk camilla oil or Ponds on my face, and baby oil then baby gel on arms and legs after bathing. At 65, i have tried all the expensive products at one time or another. Now i just wish i would have stayed out of the sun when i was younger instead of tanning with baby oil and iodine.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

Petroleum jelly (vaseline) works well also! My Aunt who is in her late 60's has used it since she was in her early 20's and she looks so young. I use it too, only because I have seen the proof! I don't use it all over my face because I have oily skin, but I do use it under my eyes and around my mouth.

Mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 09-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC
i' glad i read this. never thought of crisco. have used olive oil at times. the women in my family are very lucky they all have good skin into their late 80's. i used to use ponds cold cream years ago and thought it was wonderful. i don't know if they make an unscented now but i have sever allergies and had to stop using it because the scent made me sneeze. have also put straight emu oil on my face at night. it absorbes fairly quickly and in the morning am as soft as a baby's behind.
I am VERY allergic to man made scents.
I do have some current Pond's.
Pond's Cold Cream and Pond's Cleansing Cream both work fine for me.. no allergy problems.
Says it's Hypoallergenic but the label ingrediants do say there is a fragrance.. but apparently not much cuz it isn't bothering me.. but I don't leave it..I rinse it off.
BUT I only have used it as facial cleaner, I never thought about leaving it as a skin 'helper".

Last edited by snowmelts; 09-02-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Just wanted to add that I have used Vaseline since I was about 30, I am now 55, and have no lines anywhere other than slight "smile lines" around my eyes. I've had them since I was about 30, anyway! I smear Vaseline on on face then blot up the excess...and no acne from blocked pores, either. Just FYI for you girls!

Charlyssa

Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 AM   #12
(female)

kissycoo HB User
Talking Re: Crisco as an anti-aging cream?

I too have been using vaseline. I am 52 now and I have been using it since I was a teenager, not for wrinkle prevention, but for dryness under my eye when using concealor. I have to say, my face is wrinkle free, only when I smile do you see a little crowsfeet, but none anywhere else. I have also been using Retin A for over 12 years also. I swear, vaseline is the best moisturizer I have ever used. It helps me to look like a very young 52 year old.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Talking Re: Crisco as an anti-aging cream?

Is this funny or what?? LOL !! It made me recall asking a doctor online last year about post menopausal itch "down there." This guy has been practicing medicine for over 30 years and he said to try Crisco! Then he said, "it's good for a lot of things."
I never asked him what THAT meant. LOL

Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
(female)

sheeshkabob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800
Ladies, believe it.!! Crisco is an excellent product for keeping the skin lubricated, soft, supple. My gyn doctor prescribed Crisco for below dryness, worked better than Premarin Cream. .

Crisco does not absorb into the bloodstream and raise cholesterol. I have excellent LDL, triglycrides, HDL and total cholesterol after 30 years using Crisco. .
Hello Misty,

Are you SERIOUS about using Crisco rather than Premarin Cream? Oh, that's almost laughable. I can only dream it will work. A block of Crisco would last quite awhile in comparison. LOL

Old 09-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #15
(male)

808Lion HB User

Quote:
Crisco is a pure vegetable shortening without harmful additives.
i thought the transfat itself WAS the harmfull additive... lol...
it's VERY bad to eat this stuff...
i can't imagine how it's ok to rub it all over your skin...
but i'm no doc, so maybe there's something i don't know...

Closed Thread