It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Red face Mother refused to go to the hospital, could be the end.

Mother had a surgery May this year. After that she got to rehab. He started having problems with infections and a result she has high tempreture. Every time it happened she was sent to the hospital and then back and it happened 3 times already. She was miserable in the hospital and she is miserable in rehab. Anyway this time she refused to go to the hospital and doesn't care what can happened. Personnal said that they can't force her to do it.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Mother refused to go to the hospital, could be the end.

Patients have a right to refuse treatment when they are of sound mind. However, if your mom does not have a sound mind, you may need to declare her incopetent and become the spokesperson for her.

Check with her doctor.

You did not say what is causing the infections. She may be picking up infections at the rehab center and would be better off with home rehab.

Last edited by Misty800; 08-23-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

It is possible that she got infection from rehab, also they think she doesn't have important ingredients in her body which causes it. Every time they are ready to discharge her she started having a fever.
My mother is a very strong will person, if we start making deceisions for her she will eat us alive. One of her medicines affected her psychic 3 y ago and we had to tell it to her doctor and she still very mad at us, she thinks that she was just little bit emotional while she acted as a crazy person.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You need to ask the doctor the name of the infection. Ask what specific ingredient does her body need.

Most likely the infection has never been completely cleared, just dazed a little and then it springs back up.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
(male)

keyer HB User

Just remember we all will soon be in her condition how would we like to be treated,it sounds simple but when you think about it its not so EZX to take someones choices away especially when they are of sound mind,these are the things that parents/childeren should discuss b4 its necessary to take thier rights away.
SOONER OR LATER WE ALL END UP IN THE SAME BOAT

Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

My Mom had a very good mind and could remeber things way back that I had already forgotten about and I just turned 50 and she was 74. My Mom was in and out of the hospital with COPD and she got so tired of going back and forth beause she knew that there was nothing else that they could do for he because she had her oxygen machine and all of the medications here at home that she needed and took. When the time got near, she flat out told me that she would not go back to the hospital no more that she was tired and she was ready to go when the Good Lord was ready for her. Well the Doctor recomended Hospice to take over and my Mother agreed that that was what she wanted because she said she was not able to keep going back and forth to the hospital because she could not breath and walk and she did not want to bother anybody and I was telling her that she was not a bother that she had taken care of us kids all of her life and that now it was time for us to take care of her. Well on March 28, 2006 my Mom passed away at my house and I did everything that I could possibly do to help her be comfortable til her time was over. It was very hard to see her pass away here at home but I would not let her go to a nursing home because I knew I could give her better care. I got my wish and she got hers too. I did not make her go back to the hospital and she died in my arms. That is something I can say that I was proud of doing and that was to let her make her own decision and now she is with my Dad and my Sister. Hope that everything works out for your Mom too. Good Luck!

Closed Thread