It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

Sierra Mama HB User
Turning 40 Next Week

Hi Just new to this board, looking for some support for turning 40. I knew I would never age gracefully but this is ridiculous! I also am caught in something I never thought would happen, no job and no direction. I've tried different things and am now enrolled to start school in Jan07 full time to become an electrician but now I have aches and pains I've never had before and can I really start on jobs sites at this age. My son is 14 turning 20 fast...I don't know...don't mean to go on about it but I just can't believe this is where I'm at.
S

Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
(female)

janedoe1975 HB User
Re: Turning 40 Next Week

Age means nothing unless you let yourself feel old. 40 is still very young and it can be a wonderful age. A time of new beginnings. Are you in an exercise program? I expect the aches would disappear if you are fit and healthy. Maybe spend some quality time with your teenager on walks or runs together. Best of luck in your new career. I envy you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

40!!! Auh........wish I was 40 again...yes the aches and pains begin...but who cares, get on an exercise program and you'll feel great. I'm 48 about to be 49 and I don't care. I am getting older...but I'm not old!!! Blessed to be healthy with healthy kids and loving husband.........so count your blessings......you prob have more than 40..............

Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Sierra Mama,
I feel exactly the same as you. I will be turning 40 next March with no career. I chose to stay home and raise my children, I have a son that is 15 and another who is 5. Next year he will be in school full-time and I have no clue what I will do with myself I'm dreading turning 40 and dreading having my youngest go to school full-time. Just thought I'd let you know that you aren't alone.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
(male)

BOB825 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Turning 40 Next Week

40 is rough Went through that last year. Still depressed. Everything hurts each day the pain gets worse and worse. The 80s was the best time in my life. School, Music and friends. Dont like the way I feel now and this generation suks!

Bob

Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
(male)

BOB825 HB User

This was my post last year

I know thay say age is just a number. I wonder who said that? I feel old. When I was in my 30s I never even was concerned aboout my age. Now what i find myself doing is looking at people around my age and asking myself do I look that old? Its like a compulsion. I look at older people and say 2 myself is that how i'm going 2 look in 10-15 years. Then I look at the younger generation and say 2 myself man time has passed me buy in a hurry! I too am from the 80s MTV generation. I look at the videos and say 2 myself wow these guys all look young back then.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User

Wait till you hit 50!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
(female)

Cloverberry52 HB User

if age really bothers you a lot get therapy. My husbands going for therapy and I bet aging is one of his issues.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
(female)

chelsie5 HB User

I understand what you are going thru, I'm 45 years old and always looking for the fountain of youth, but I'm very happy, you need to exercise your body and your brain, accept life as it comes to you, I agree that maybe you could get counselling for this, it would probably help, or even a good sef help book.

keep busy, enjoy your family and live for today................

Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
(female)

deb1226 HB User

Don,t worry bout it honey. I just turned 51 day after Xmas and there isn't a thing you can do about it. I have found a fun way to deal with aging, when asked how old I am I tell everyone I'm 61(10 yrs older) and hope they think I look good for my age lol. When I was in my 30,s 50 sounded soooo old. Well, I'm in my 50,s now and 80 is looking real good lol. Good luck and don,t worry or else you might look older than you are from all those worry wrinkles.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Mama View Post
Hi Just new to this board, looking for some support for turning 40. I knew I would never age gracefully but this is ridiculous! I also am caught in something I never thought would happen, no job and no direction. I've tried different things and am now enrolled to start school in Jan07 full time to become an electrician but now I have aches and pains I've never had before and can I really start on jobs sites at this age. My son is 14 turning 20 fast...I don't know...don't mean to go on about it but I just can't believe this is where I'm at.
S

sierra, I SO envy you. My 40th birthday was AWFUL. My husband had me convinced I was wrinkled and ugly. Funny, that's not what the guys at the healthclub thought. Anyway, I was SO depressed thinking, here I am, no career and my marriage is Terrible! Luckily, I had been attending a healthclub for six mos at that time and I was in Terrific shape, a size ten, lifting weights, very thick hair but SO unhappy w/my life.
Then I dumped my husband. Immediately, I moved out into an apartment and started dating and dancing and having a fabulous time. I actually, at sixty two, miss it . I rocked and rolled for a year and married my new husband of 19 years. Now I'm a size sixteen and talk about aches and pains.
I had NO PAINS AT ALL at 40. So I guess the weightlifting thing is true.
I wish, how I wish, I could convince you that 40 is SOOO young; because the years will now start to FLY BY and you will find out that it is not a career that'll make you happy but realizing you now have time to read those books you've wanted to read, the opportunitiy to tighten up that body, find a new
skincare regimen you love, get a new hair do/color, and maybe even find a new Spiritual Path. I'm so envious. And now I have a diabetic husband who can't dance, isn't interested in learning and I have a double chin

Old 01-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
(female)

Proverbs3:5 HB User

Turning 40 is becoming a distant memory to me as I am now 45 and a half. I was/am the type of person that is never supposed to get old and so far I don't feel or look it. I think I can attribute this to my good attitude and healthy lifestyle. But my good attitude can wane when I realize that I am still unmarried, childless and not in a career that fits me. Then I start thinking about all the women and men that started to really live their lives in their forties. Here's a few: Julia Child by starting her cooking career out of the blue in her 40's, Lucille Ball's most memorable acting began in her 40's when she starred in "I Love Lucy", Bob Barker began a 35 year career with "The Price is Right" in his 40's, and many, many great artists and authors came out of the woodwork in their 40's.
Another good thing to think about is people aged 80-100 and how old they were when you were born---I am sure they think of 40 as VERY young.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
(female)

Jenzo71 HB User

hi Sierra,

I tend to freak out about age too; thus driving my parents crazy

However, if it makes you feel better, my grandmother will be 105 on June 7th.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I'm turning 63 this month. It's a bad deal. Oh, to be forty again. (sigh)
My knees started giving me trouble at 61. I started gaining weight fast at 50. At forty I looked and acted 30. Congratulations for being so darn young.
Enjoy that waistline; you won't have it forever.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #15
(female)

boodle2 HB Userboodle2 HB User

I just turned fifty, and I figure aging beats the alternative!!

Closed Thread