It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

opple HB Useropple HB User
Depressing upper body weight gain

I've always been a triangle shape--with the point down but as I get older my lower hips, butt, and legs almost look like they belong on a different body. I hate this but the word "cow" comes to mind. Big trunk and thin limbs.

What can anyone do about this weight gain in the upper abdomen and upper back and arms. This seems to happen to a lot of men, too.

I know exercise distributes weight better but what kind for the waist up?

Last edited by opple; 12-08-2006 at 06:05 PM.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Depressing upper body weight gain

God how i wish i knew. i was always pretty well proportioned. size 2-4 until i was 45. hurt my back, acquired diabetes, went through menopause and here is the 40-50 pounds and this new body with parts i din't even know i had. am up to a 14 maybe even a 16 with some clothes but i know what you mean . ihave thin legs and no hips or butt. but boy do i have a big chest, upper arms and belly. I am having a terrible time buying bras and clothes since my lower body is at least 1-2 sizes smaller than my upper and being short the larger blouse size has the shoulder seems at my elbows LOL i have to buy a bigger size pants to accomodate by beely and then they have to be altered for length and the leg and butt. can't wear petite pants since i am all leg and have a short torso . my daughter said to me the other day that all i can do is buy clothes that fit the bigger parts and have everything else altered. boy what an expense that'll be. wish i could help but being in the same boat i am at my wits end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

PeytonP HB User

You're what's called "an apple". Your weight is distributed around the middle and upper body.

I'm what's described as "a pear". Our weight tends to distrubute around our thighs and rear.

It's genetic.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I read somewhere once that after the age of 34, your body has a sharp decrease of muscle, which will usually be replaced with fat. In other words, even if you stay the same weight as you age, you will have lost muscle tone and become fatter looking unless you exercise and build back your muscle.
As far as the redistribution of where the fat goes, that has to do with your hormones changing as you age. If you really want the body you used to have, consider exercising with weight training, and investigate natural hormone therapy.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

just being injured recently has made my upper body really deteriorate. shoulder and neck injury have stopped me from working out for the past 8 months. i have a dead tricep in one arm and severe tendonitis in the bicep on the same arm. rotaror cuff impingement on the same side and neck is a mess. also injured back, knee and ankle so it's hard enough to walk let alone work out. BUT in spite of all of this the biggest change i noticed in my body was after going thorugh menopause. it was almost instantaneous that my weight went up and my muscle tone died. almost overnight. I can't take HRT since my mother acquired breast cancer from it and am a high risk. it's very frustrating to have 2 different bodies.

Closed Thread