It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
(male)

Kayleigh1979 HB User
Age spots

What are age spots? What causes them (besides age).

Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User
Re: Age spots

Sun exposure is the primary culprit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

They are also called "liver spots" because they often are associated with the functioning of our liver as well.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

They're caused by sun. You can get an ointment from the dermatologist to slowly fade them, but the stubborn/darker ones usually need microdermabrasion or a laser treatment.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Taking BCP or HRT can also cause them. There is a commercialy available fade cream that works but takes a while to show the effects. I don't remember the name but they have it at places like WalMart, CVS, etc.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

UGGGGH. I am 30 and just started getting them. I have 1 real dark one near my eyebrow. It has nothing to do with the functioning of your liver, so don't be worried. The dark spot is melanin in your skin stimulated by overexposure to UV rays. I am doing microdermabrasion, which has been helping but I am looking into laser treatments as it seems to be more effective. They also have hydroquine cream (skin lightening cream) prescribed by a physician. Didn't help me much but it is worth a try. I think because I am of Italian decent it wasn't as effective because of my skin coloring but perhaps if one has lighter skin it might work.
Bella

Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoos View Post
UGGGGH. I am 30 and just started getting them. I have 1 real dark one near my eyebrow. It has nothing to do with the functioning of your liver, so don't be worried.
Bella
Certainly nothing to worry about as it's not as if the liver is diseased, but liver spots, in addition to appearing from too much sun, can also be a sign of a build up of toxins in the liver. You could do some research about this. There are also liver flushes that help to keep the liver healthy.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi....i think there are two kinds of spots that occur with aging
especially on the face, chest and hands. I have both and I am 62. One is a brown spot and it is caused usually during pregnancy because of the increased amount of estrogen in the body and exposure to the sun. the other that I have are called actinic keratosis which is usually a crusty red spot that
shed skin and is a little raised. I have two fairly large ones on one side of my face and makeup covers them well. I was a sun worshiper and of course am paying for it now!!!! the brown spots i have been able to get rid of through the bleaching cream that someone posted above hydroquinones.
The actinic keratosis, I have checked by a doc and will wait
for a Yag laser treatment....had them frozen off with liquid
nitrogen before but they will come back. These can be
precancerous lesions so always have them checked out, unlike the brown age spots......karen

Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I was relatively free of brown spots until this year. This year I developed several brown spots on my chest area which I am not happy with. Somehow I feel very uneasy applying a brown spot fading cream to this area. There must be something more natural?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I got mine from birth control pills. They are really dark freckles but I have a soild patch that's really annoying. It' about the size of a half dollar coin. The derm gave me EpiQuin which was $80 for a small tube. It reduced them but being that I am so fair they are still noticeable.
My derm wants to do a laser treatment called Fraxel on my face and hands. I do landscaping so I think I will wait till the fall winter months cause you have to stay out of the sun for at least at the min 2 weeks with the Fraxel.

You can get the Frazel on any part of your body and I might have to have my back and chest done as well cause I had 3rd sun burns back in 94 at Spring Break. They have gone from freckles to raise really darkbrown spots. The derm said they are not cancerous but I don't want them on me. When I shower sometimes the loofa irritaes them.

There are many types of laser and chemical peels that are out there for your face body and hands and feet for sun and age spots. Your derm can tell you which one is the best for your type and color of your skin.

Jenteal

Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Sounds crazy but it works... Take Castor Oil and cover them every night with a small round band aid. I found this on this board a while back and it really worked.
The creams such as Triluma fade them but it cost a ton of money and they end up coming back. I do this to two on my hand a few times a week and it really helps not to mention it's cheap.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bell99 For This Useful Post:
Adante Kidz (08-26-2011)
Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
(female)

Jerky HB User

They are caused from hormone changes

Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Mrs N HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell99 View Post
Sounds crazy but it works... Take Castor Oil and cover them every night with a small round band aid. I found this on this board a while back and it really worked.
The creams such as Triluma fade them but it cost a ton of money and they end up coming back. I do this to two on my hand a few times a week and it really helps not to mention it's cheap.
How ould it b possible to cover spots that are spread out, and does castor oil really work? I mean do the spots become lighte or go away completely?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
(female)

loveagolden HB User

Ok, if they are caused by hormonal changes (I'm 51, peri & estrogen dominant) & too much sun in my youth, what can we do to STOP & Get RID of them? I wear a European sunscreen LaRoche Posay Fluide EX 50+ religously, also a hat if I'm out for more than 10 minutes. There's apparantly nothing to fix estrogen dominance......what really works for these horrible spots that seem to be spreading by the day? Lasers? Obagi? Triluma?

What has worked in the long run? I hear hydoquinone/retin a works for a while & then they come back worse.........is there something that gets rid of them & keeps them from coming back?? HELP!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #15
(female)

loveagolden HB User

How does one cover all the spots on face with castor oil & then cover with bandages? I can see this on the hands, but must the castor oil be covered to work?

Has anyone tried lasers and did they work, meaning get rid of sun/age spots and did they stay away, with proper sunscreen of course??? Which laser in particular? I have heard the fraxel type is the newest thus it has the most expensive fees, 500-1000 per treatment. Yikes!! There must be a cheaper laser that will help.

Closed Thread