It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User
Re: Crisco as an anti-aging cream?

A lot of skin creams contain hydrogenated oils, so that's nothing unusual. I've known women who use Crisco and Vaseline on their faces, and they looked great, but I still get an occasional zit, so I don't have that as an option. (However, I'm 31, and still have wrinkle-free skin). I do use Crisco on my hands occasionally though, and it works wonders when they get dried out. Tyra Banks puts Vaseline around her eyes, and my mom has said for years that Sophia Loren uses Crisco as a face cream, but I have no idea where she heard/learned that.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

opple HB Useropple HB User

I believe it about the lady and her nice skin. Crisco is underrated like a lot of things. I read of a woman who worked for Max Factor I think it was for many years and when she retired people asked her what is the best cream and she said just use shortening.

Simple mayonnaise is awfully good, too, if your skin doesn't mind the vinegar or lemon juice in it. You apply it, leave it on and then hot-washcloth it off.

I have begun using emu oil and I have to say it is great stuff. It sinks in like no oil I have ever used before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Animal fat is the worst thing you can put on your face!!!!!!! Most make-ups have it.........check the labels................no animal fat on the face....!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

A while back I watching "The View" on TV and Barbara Walters said she has always used Crisco on her face. However since the Transfat worries she said she is rethinking that cuz she doesn't want her facial skin to get fat!

I did ask a Skin Dr, that I saw this summer, about Crisco on facial skin and he looked at me like I had suddenly developed 2 heads.
He shook his head no.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Crisco is not animal fat, it is pure vegetable shortening and they now have transfat free Crisco.

A doctor is the one who prescribed Crisco to me.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

It is possible that she got mixed up about what she uses. She could've mixed her up with someone else too. I have heard that a lot of celebs use it and Vaseline though. (Cybil Shepherd was talking about using Vaseline on tv the other night).

I don't think the molecules in Crisco are small enough to penetrate your pores and get into your blood stream. I wear a size three ring, so it hasn't made my hands fat. My cholesterol and triglycerides are good too.

Last edited by cuddledumplin; 01-20-2007 at 03:01 AM.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmelts View Post
A while back I watching "The View" on TV and Barbara Walters said she has always used Crisco on her face. However since the Transfat worries she said she is rethinking that cuz she doesn't want her facial skin to get fat!

I did ask a Skin Dr, that I saw this summer, about Crisco on facial skin and he looked at me like I had suddenly developed 2 heads.
He shook his head no.
Without knowing this doctor, I still have to wonder if he'd prefer you spent a small fortune on the skin care products he carries in his clinic. What's in it for a dermatologist to suggest something you can get at any grocery store and use on your face for pennies?

I like to do my own research and try different things at my discretion. I would see no harm in Crisco and even if it doesn't penetrate the skin, it still softens and lubricates it.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I WON'T be going back to that Dermatologist I saw.
For reasons not concerning Crisco.

I did NOT like him for other reasons concerning prescribed medications for my problem. This was the first time I'd ever gone to a Dermatologist. Over the periord of a month and a few calls from my Pharmacy to him and a couple visits to him I became completely discusted with him.
Needless to say he did not solve my problems.

But you are right, in general he seems to be about the money rather than simple ideas.

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-20-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

snow, I hope you find a better doc. That can be challenging but there are good ones around, even some with that bedside manner a lot of us would appreciate.

Best of luck!

Closed Thread