It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: Very sad since turning 50 (I'm 52)

I'm 54 ,and i'm finding that my 50's is my best decade yet. I love being older and wiser. No way would I go back to being that 20 or 30 yr old . Now i can do anything I want and I don't worry about "what will people think". My husband just bought a Harley Davidson,and we are planning many adventures. I'm buying a hot pink motorcycle jacket ! Who cares that it's not "cool" and black is THE color for Harley riders. Sure I went through a lot of reflection on getting older. But if your lucky you can get through the depression of getting older and come out the other side. It's a good time to concentrate on the inner ,and let go of the outer. Not that you actually let yourself go, you need to eat right ,exercise your body and your mind etc.but just not be so focused on what you look like ,but more on staying healthy.Everyone ,if they are lucky will get older.( think of the alternative!) That 25yr old with the perfect body will someday be where you are . So take heart. The outer is so fleeting....it's the inner that really counts. So start thinking of things you've always wanted to do. It's not too late.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hi, I felt so bad when I read the original Poster's post. I have been very depressed for the first time in my life. I am 53. My last 2 children (twins) left for college in July, I am single, was so looking forward to being kid less for the first time in 33 years....... it has been a tough year. I lost my boyfriend in May to a accidental drowning, lost my kid's dad to cancer, my last 2 kids left home and I found myself very very alone and not as happy I as I thought I would be.............. Wow it was strange...... Have learned alot about myself.

Also some health issues popped up.........getting those resolved.

My Dad who is 93 is suddenly failing and even though he has lived a great long healthy life......I am suprised how sad I am over this........

I realize I need to move, I live in a tourist town with nothing for me to do and NO singles male or female to do anything with. It was a great place to raise kids but this place no longer serves me. I need to live where I can go out and do the things I want to do. So I am looking for new city to live in..

I need to make more friends...... moving will help that... I need to be where there is a good gym, yoga classes and a college..........and a Mall.

I need to get rid of this big house with 5 bedrooms.......I am getting rid of everything I do not need and doing some painting and fixing up.

I have also set a time limit with my job of 4 years, when my kids get out of college I am changing jobs and doing something I want to do not just working for $$$$$

So this has been a year of realization for me and yes I am suprised by the depression and how alone I feel.......... no spouse, no family, few friends.
It is so not how I thought it would be....

So I have been depressed but things are getting better..... people are not meant to be alone. People are social and should have friends and family.

And you with the husband and the harley ???? You are so lucky.

And being single????? that is another story in this age group. Truthfully I do not mind being single .............LOL

Sorry this is so long........I just wanted to share and say sunlight always comes after the darkness.............

Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

green dragon HB User

life is a journey. snap out of it. set some goals. do what you have dreamed of doing - whats stopping you? yourself and your mindset. break the habit, take a vacation, buy a camaro, date a younger man, buy a pet. just start living yer life woman.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
(female)

newbeauty HB User

rwebber,

You are correct, turning 50 is like starting that downhill slide. It always startles me when someone in their 50's is happy about it and they say their life is just starting. I feel like you, not happy, don't know what I am looking forward too (old age) NO, so I guess we all have to find a purpose and tell ourselves that this part of our life will be good, if we make it good, but it will be different than our lives before. People precieve you differently when they know your are in your 50's!! What a horrible thing to be ask at the store if you want the senior discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO, I don't want it!!

I am trying now to figuree what my life will be like in a few years. My son is still home, but soon he will be going off to college and I can't imagine my life without him around, so who knows.

If any of you have found any good answers as to what we have to look forward to in our later years, please post!!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeauty View Post
rwebber,

What a horrible thing to be ask at the store if you want the senior discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO, I don't want it!!

So funny!!

I know exactly what you mean, I do NOT want the senior discount either! (and what's this 'senior' stuff at age 50 anyway??? I thought 65+ was considered senior)

Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
(female)

tina2367 HB User

yes i do how about what you have finally acomplished and succeeded to do?
How about the sunlight which you can still see? The air which you can still breathe? The sound of the birds that you can still hear ? The touch of anything that you can still touch? The walks outside that you can still take? The mind God gave you that obivliously you can still use or you would not be on here, and so many more things that get taking for granted everyday. So is aging fun..well i think it's what you make of it. I am so sick and have been for the last 7+yrs. The doctor's say it's just aneixty i say bull. But yet i am thankful for god letting me open my eyes,Somedays i just don't want to go on and i am only 40 but then i look at my family and say YES if this is my trial then please give me the ability to win the battle....hopefully my 50's will rock

Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
(male)

randy6802 HB User
Cool Re: i'm finding that my 50's is my best decade yet.

Hell turning 50 for me was a gift to, with all the drugs that i took am just happy to be alive!!! Randy

Old 06-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: i'm finding that my 50's is my best decade yet.

Hey guys ...I didn't mean to make it seem so easy to get older. I haven't been stress free in my aging process. I lost my brother ,my mom and my dad plus my daughter and my adored 2 granddaughters moved from 10 miles away to a whole other state. I've mourned the loss of my family ,I've been lonely and I've just been diagnosed with lupus. But everthing I said in my original post I still feel. Life is what you make of it. I'm greatfull for what I do have and I try to take joy in the little things now. I feel I'm much more able to cope with whatever life throws at me. I still wouldn't trade my fifties for my 20's. Like the last poster said....somedays I'm happy to just be upright and taking on air .LOL!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Unhappy Re: i'm finding that my 50's is my best decade yet.

I'm 63 and not very happy. I Was happy in my 20's and 30's so of course I'd love to trade what I 'have ' now for back then. I don't see when we are every truly "free." No matter the age, there are restrictions. Whether it's school, parents, husbands or pets you're never totally free. And your mind isn't free either if you have family you worry about. This is the first time in my life that I've lost energy. After 60 it has all gone downhill. My figure, my skin, my energy. I plant a flower and I'm tired. I go to walmart and I'm really tired. Your feet begin bothering you. Your back becomes a mess. Bathe a dog and you have to take painkillers. Your reading vision goes bad. Your hair gets gray. I'm lucky to have good teeth and thick hair but I don't really notice the good stuff when I'm tired.

Closed Thread