It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Should women over 50 cut their hair short?

What do you all think? Should an older woman automatically cut her hair once she reaches 50? Anyone know if any mature celebrities have kept their long manes and still look good?

I got my first short style haircut a few months ago, and to be honest with you,. I can't say that I feel comfortable with it. I always had a longer hair length. To make matters worse I didn't receive any compliments on it at first, although over the last couple of months people are now saying they like it. That's probably because it grew out some since then. Now I'm wondering whether to cut it or let it grow out?

I'd like to hear your views on this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 AM   #2
(female)

della525 HB User
Re: Should women over 50 cut their hair short?

Ok I'm not 50, I'm 39 and believe if you like wearing your hair long then go for it. I can think of a several women I work with who are over 50 and have long hair they look fine. One has very long hair that goes past her waist, it's mostly grey, sometimes she wears it down, othertimes she wears it up-in a loose bun and she looks fabulous. She gets compliments often. Another has long wavy grey hair, she wears it down and it looks good. Now if she'd just wear a bra she'd look much better, but that's another story.
When I was younger, my mother said, "After age 25 you have to wear your hair short. You're too old to wear it long." I don't know where she got this from, she's 80 and maybe that's something from her generation, I don't know. I dreaded turning 25 but when I did, I wasn't ready for short hair. I'm still wearing my hair long, I don't plan on cutting it short. I don't like myself in short hair, never did, it feels 'boyish". Mine is currently close to waist length, I have to trim it soon because when it gets real long it's tough to care for, mine tends to tangle and I have to use 3 boxes of hair dye to cover it. No short hair for me, I love my hair long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User
Thumbs down Re: Should women over 50 cut their hair short?

I feel that if you want to have long hair at 50 why not? I think the days of status quo are well a thing of the past. It used to be as soon as you turned 30 women cut there hair and permed it with little curly ques at the sides in front of your ears and wispy in the back, you know what style I mean? I would look like a goof if I cut my hair short, I am 54 and my hair is long, I usually wear it up in a full pony tail or long half up/half down with a nice clip in the back. I still color my hair not to fool anyone but I do it for myself. perhaps if you had short hair all your life you wouldn't all of a sudden grow it down to your bum. Long hair, well kept is feminine I can do much more with my hair long than I ever could short with all the cow licks and fussing around. I like to wash it, straight iron or curl it and have it loosley up or down with bangs or not. It is up to you the individual not up to set standards on age. Age is only a number unless you want to go with what our mothers did, gray it out cut it off - stop wearing makeup and look old. Not for me.

Last edited by ebrena; 08-09-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I am 55 and currently growing my hair out. I've had long hair all my life but then got it into my head when I hit 50 that I was too old for long hair. I never felt like the real me with short hair though,and my husband hated it. So it's about shoulder length now and I want to go longer. I do highlight it and I really don't have any grey hair yet. I do tend to wear it pulled back a lot . I think I actually look younger with long hair...... So go for it!!!
Kate

Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

Mainegirl HB User

I think if you have a nice, healthy head of hair and can keep up with the maintenance then, why not keep it long?

I started losing my hair in my 20's and its very thin so I cut it short after my first child was born but how I envy women with long, curly, thick hair...

Maybe in my next lifetime.....

Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User

Im 50 and my hair, is dye free, [colored my har for 20 years] and past my shoulders, its blonde, the same color hair I had when I was a youngin, so my mother says.
I made a new years resolution this year to quit going to the salon for a dye job. Its the best decision Ive made and Ive saved a ton of $$

I love my hair its so natural, shiney and curly, and hubby likes to run his hands through it.
Its up to the person if they like it long ///// I say ,go for it!

remember to brush it everynight 100 times with a soft brush

Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

dorri,

I agree with everyone who has posted -- it's up to you.

It's my own decision to keep my hair relatively short, but that's because I look better that way. And my hair is really thick so having long hair is a lot of weight and bother that short hair doesn't have. I had long hair until my twenties. I was freaked out at how short a stylist had cut it, but then I noticed that people were saying "gee you look nice today" instead of "gee you have beautiful hair". It dawned on me that my hair was so lush that it overwhelmed my narrow face and small frame. No one noticed me, they only noticed my hair. I've kept it relatively short (sometimes very short, sometimes a bit shaggy) since then, and I'm 58 now.

The point is, if you feel comfortable with your hair, then wear it the way you want. I too envy people who have hair long enough to wear in different styles. But it's not appropriate for me.

Go for it, girl!

--Rheanna

Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

dorri - I think it is unanimous, if you want your hair long wear it long! I think as we age we earn the right to choose what we do with our own bodies. Some of the most beautiful long hair I have seen is on women over 50. I really don't think Demi Moore will cut her hair at 50.

That said everyone, regardless of age, has to be truthful with themselves about what looks good to you not just what you are used to. I have had long hair but also suffer from female pattern baldness. I tried everthing to hang onto my hair because I wanted it long, but it looked like crap to be fully honest. When you only have 10 hairs (major exageration) they look really funny long (or short for that matter, I guess I'll buy a wig ).

td - I'm so afraid of loosing my last 10 hairs I am lucky to brush my hair 100 strokes in a year! Lol

Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User

I know exactly what your saying my hair isnt thick matter of fact its pretty thin .There's male baldness on my fathers side if I had been a male I believe Id be bald. My bro's, one is bald, the other is not.

I wish I had long, long, hair like rapunzel but Id sure tie it back in a bun, that helps, and headbands, to be able to get that hair oughta my face, is a pleasure.

take care

teddy

Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I think some of us look good in long hair, some just have it hanging and no style you know. And some just wrap it up in a bun day after day
I don;t think turning 50 has much to do with it, maybe more a change of style instead of the poneytail or bun each day,

I see some beautiful heads of hair that look great down....why not Hair styles like clothes can really help your appearance. I think our dresser can pretty much tell us this is good that is a bit young for you right?

My mom got her hair cut when she was fifty, she had beautiful wavy brown hair, cut it short and curley, we loved it but she let it grow back and we loved that more, S0 feel it out, try a slightly shorter or shag cut if you want to but don't do it cause the big 50 is here.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by td9997 View Post
Im 50 and my hair, is dye free, [colored my har for 20 years] and past my shoulders, its blonde, the same color hair I had when I was a youngin, so my mother says.
I made a new years resolution this year to quit going to the salon for a dye job. Its the best decision Ive made and Ive saved a ton of $$

I love my hair its so natural, shiney and curly, and hubby likes to run his hands through it.
Its up to the person if they like it long ///// I say ,go for it!

remember to brush it everynight 100 times with a soft brush

I'm 51 and prefer mid length or longer as I too feel boyish when its short I also have this silly thing that it makes me look heavier.... but as far as not coloring it....? I'm afraid I am not at that point yet. I feel I am too young to let it go all gray. I use hair color from the box so it's not bad on the pocket.

D

Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I just turned 50 with no plans to cut my hair. Still going to work out with weights too. Old ideas are funny. I remember two old women telling me not to "ruin my body honey" when they walked by and saw me using 100lbs. on the calf-raising machine. I thought you know, that's what I am trying to do.....not ruin my body with lack of muscle like most women in the past did. Skinny and weak with severe osteoporosis isn't the way I'd like to live when I'm old.

The over 50 crowd is younger than ever with all the new nutritional and exercise advances people! Why not look it?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I agree 100% with everyone here, I am 64 and still have long hair, I work out everyday, color my hair and put makeup on everyday. If you didn't know me, you would not think I am 64. Age doesn't matter, YOU matter, so it is whatever you want to do and whatever you are comfortable with.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
I agree 100% with everyone here, I am 64 and still have long hair, I work out everyday, color my hair and put makeup on everyday. If you didn't know me, you would not think I am 64. Age doesn't matter, YOU matter, so it is whatever you want to do and whatever you are comfortable with.
At 64 you sound like you really have it going on. Kuddos to you.

D

Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
(female)

RouxWoman HB User
Wink Re: Should women over 50 cut their hair short?

No!
They should not. Those old rules are outdated in this day and age.

I am over 50, have 18 inches of thick hair which has always been my shining glory LOL! I like it long because I can pull it back into a tail, or a bun on a bad hair day. I do not wear it in style that a 20 year old would wear.

Today you can look like you want to look, and be what you want to be. I see young women in their 30-40's already look old, so age is only a number for the most part.
Do what makes you feel good and happy

Last edited by RouxWoman; 08-16-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Closed Thread