It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

Marie5656 HB User
What about coloring hair to look younger?

I decided to separate this question, as I did not want to hijack the thread about women over 50 cutting their hair short. I am 53, and have really just started getting grey in the last 3 years. When I have gone for haircuts I have had the stylist ask if I wanted to color my hair, back to full brown.
I remember my mom going absolutly nuts if she found grey, always colored hers. For me, it is a non issue right now. I do not see a reason to color it. Not saying I won't want to later...but not now. I mean, I would not go platinum blond or anything, just my natural color if I did it.
What do you think?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

Pat007 HB User
Re: What about coloring hair to look younger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
I decided to separate this question, as I did not want to hijack the thread about women over 50 cutting their hair short. I am 53, and have really just started getting grey in the last 3 years. When I have gone for haircuts I have had the stylist ask if I wanted to color my hair, back to full brown.
I remember my mom going absolutly nuts if she found grey, always colored hers. For me, it is a non issue right now. I do not see a reason to color it. Not saying I won't want to later...but not now. I mean, I would not go platinum blond or anything, just my natural color if I did it.
What do you think?
I started to gray "unevenly" in my 40's. I use a Demi/Semi non-peroxide formula found at my local beauty supply house. You mix the color into the solution. Depends on your hair if the semi or regular works.

I've been coloring for almost 20 years. I keep it close to my natural shade 'light brown" but I purchase the color that has some red. The first couple weeks the color is a nice soft burgundy, then fades to the light brown. It makes my face color look "much brighter." To help keep the color, I dry from underneath, not on top of the hair OR let it dry natural then shape with hair dryer or curling iron.

NOTE: Your hair will feel "course" after the initial coloring..... so I use a tiny amount of gentle shampoo (for red or brown) to get the color residue to rinse out clear. Then I let a good conditioner soak in for 5-10 minutes.. I might even use a small amount of shampoo again if my hair feels too slick from the conditioner.

There after with regular shampoos, I continue with the use the gentle color shampoo (for red or brown) then use a small amount of conditioner. One can judge as to how oily or limb the hair is after drying as to determine the right amount of conditioner.

I either do it myself or my hairdresser will do my roots for me. I guess as long as I can lift my arms I'll keep it up or settle on my hairdresser every 6 weeks.........but if I go completely "gray" I might just let it go.

Last edited by Pat007; 12-28-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

In my opinion, some people look gorgeous with grey hair. So if you think it looks good, I wouldn't worry about what makes you look younger. My stylist has said that a lot of her clients are going back to their natural grey color. Grey is the new blonde! So get a good haircut ,keep it healthy and enjoy it.It's all in the attitude. Grey hair can be sexy.
For myself ,I'm 55 but have very little grey hair. Just a few strands here and there. My hair is naturally dr.blonde so every 8 weeks I have highlights put in. When I do go grey though I don't think I will use an all over color to cover it.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I am 54 and have no gray yet.........I do color my hair with 2 colors of blonde highlights but I can see my base color which is now a medium light brown.

Not sure what I will do when it comes...........some women look so gorgeous with it and some look not so great..........I think it personal preference.......

My neighbor had very short black black hair and recently let hers out and she is almost white haired........I have to say it aged her terribly.......She has gone back to her dyed black which looks very natural. Another friend let her blond go away and she is white haired and it looks beautiful an almost youthful on her.....he complexion looks radiant with it.....? I think it is individual........and what you are comfortable with.

My 34 year old daughter has gray already..........she hates it and colors it......she was a blonde but is taking after her father who was prematurely gray.......

Oleander

Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

yes, some gray hair is pretty. But not on everyone!

But gray hair is not for me. I am light brown with blonde highlights or blonde with blonder streaks. however, when I am really old I will probably let it all hang out.

But I still want to look good now, ya know? So why not color it?
I do know that gray hair can make some people look older than they are. And that is the case with me. So for me it is a no-brainer.

My mom always had frosted hair and it looked so gorgeous. Now that she is 80 and a little demented she has let go to a natural silver, more of a platinum. but she still worries over it. She is not too far gone that she does not want to look good. I would say by 75-80 we should be be natural. or wearing wigs....

Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
...........some women look so gorgeous with it and some look not so great..........I think it personal preference.......
I agree that it all depends on how it looks and how you feel about it. I think that a good haircut (one that flatters your face and is appropriate for your hair-type) is more important than whether there's any grey in it.

--Rheanna

Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

Wow,I started going gray in my late 20's. I am about 1/2 to 3/4 gray now have colored my hair for many years. I am 52 now. I wouldn't think of going gray as I know I would look much older than I am. I always color my own hair and use the Color Match in a box as its not as harsh on my hair.

D

Closed Thread