It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
(male)

jwalker2505 HB User
what happens if you do no surgery on broken hip

I am in germany with my wife whos mother broke her hip two weeks ago and does not want surgery and would not sign the surgery forms. She has complications with heart, kidneys, lungs and her arteries are clogged. very stubborn woman. she just turned 74. She has serious health issues and blood pressure remains at 240. we encourage her every day to go ahead with surgery. What is another way to approach this?

Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: what happens if you do no surgery on broken hip

Your mother-in-law is a high risk patient for surgery, however, an orthopedic surgeon told us the only way to relieve pain from a broken hip is via surgery.

Your m-i-l realizes the high risk she is faced with undergoing surgery.

Doctors need to get her blood pressure down, 240 is in stroke territory.

Surgery will put loads of stress on her heart, lungs, and kidneys. In other words there is most likely only a 50/50 chance of survival.

I am not a medical professional, speaking from experience only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

Marie5656 HB User

I will have to agree with Misty here. While hip surgery would probably help a person in the long run be pain free. But I would be highly suspect of any doctor willing to perform it until the other health issues, especially the blood pressure, are more in control.
I think the benefits of the hip surgery have to be weighed against the other medical issues, for the right thing to be done for your MIL.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

My mother lived with a partially broken hip for a year and a half before we got surgery on it and she was so miserable she told the doctor she wished she could die. Her blood pressure was at 200/100 she was in such pain.

Get her bp down and get her in to get it fixed. With the pain that she has from the hip, she will always have high bp so it is a catch 22. But nobody deserves to live in pain like that.

Closed Thread