It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

Djetou17 HB User
Obsessed with dying/thoughts of death and dying young

Ever since hitting my twenties i have been convinced i will die before the age of 30. My thoughts have always been in a motor accident on a motorway and convinced that is the way i am going to die. I am now 27 and for what ever reason i can sense death getting closer.

Thing is, i do not think about killing myself of even want to. I have a great loving family, a girlfriend, friends, good looks, money, travel the world and most things a typical person would be happy about but still think i am going to die.

I have told my mum these thing for years and she gets upset as to why i think this, her brother used to say the same thing and he was killed at 24 while away traveling.

I have thought about what music i would like at my funeral, who to leave what in my will, life after death and so on.

I am obsessed with viewing pictures of dead people, seeing them alive and now knowing they are dead. Also reading books by people who are now dead.

Why do i have this obsession about dying? have i something wrong with me or does anyone else have these thoughts...?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICFK1 HB User
Re: Obsessed with dying/thoughts of death and dying young

If I were convinced I were going to die young - I'd make it a point to live fully and completely in the moment at all times, and leave a legacy I'd be proud of.

Obsess about living vs. existing - and these thoughts of dying are lkely to fade.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

Katycat HB User

I understand what you are saying because when I was your age I used to do the same thing all the time. I suffered from depression and anxiety quite badly at the time and would obsess about dying. I am now 57 years old and I have survived cancer and lived with depression all these years BUT I have been married for 35 years and have 3 beautiful grown children.
If you are depressed go to your GP for some help but I am here to tell you that being obsessed with dying doesn't necessarily mean you are going to die young. Hope that helps.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katycat View Post
... I suffered from depression and anxiety quite badly at the time and would obsess about dying. ....
Katycat's experience really identifies what's going on with you, I think. People with depression and with generalized anxiety often obsess with death and dying....for that reason you might want to check with a mental health professional for an evaluation. Medications can be very effective for some of these conditions...

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-31-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
(female)

joonflowers HB User

From a very early age I remember my grandmother talking about her dread of dying and a great fear of dying a violent death. She lived in terror of it. She too was obsessed by all aspects of death and spent a lot of time reading murder stories and accounts of executions of murderers.

She lived till she was 99 and died very peacefully in her sleep at home with her family around her. If there can be such a thing as a perfect death, then she had it. It's ironic, if only she had known that in the end, there was nothing to be afraid of.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
(male)

redherb HB User

I think it could be depression. Talking to your family could really help and along the way try to consult with a doctor about your condition. They can really help you overcome you obsession

Closed Thread