It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

dfsa HB User
Do you age faster if you have a fast metabolism?

If your heart beats fast and you metabolise food very fast such that you never put on weight, and even that you burn calories just by sitting at a computer, and that you are always much hotter than everyone else and have faster reactions, and sleep more. Do you think that means you are racing towards an early grave?

I read somewhere once that all hearts beat the same amount before giving up, and for example a mouse's beats fast and a tortoise's beats slowly, and that explains their differences in lifetime.

Your metabolism is supposed to slow with age, this is why children sleep more, and old people sleep less and feel the cold easier. But what if your metabolism doesn't slow down?

Last edited by dfsa; 12-16-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
(male)

Richyy HB User
Re: Do you age faster if you have a fast metabolism?

You know, I've been wondering the same thing. I do virtually no excersize yet I never gain weight, I have very fast reaction times, and I'm always warm.

I'd guess that your metabolic rate does slow down with age, without a doubt, but that it doesn't slow down as much in some people as it does in others. But I see no reason why it would reduce your life expectancy. I'd prefer to think of it as an advancement in our evolution , our bodies reacting to the way we live.

If someone really knows the answer to this, I would also be interested

Last edited by Richyy; 12-17-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

imtupp HB User

I am this way as well. However, I was diagnosed with Graves' disease in '02. I've had RAI to treat my over active thyroid, though I still have the same issues as you both. I've been a go getter my entire life, and now have resolved to the fact that Graves' disease is most likely why we were never able to conceive in the first place. My DX was not made til after our third attempt at IVF.

I know so much more than I did back then. If you haven't had your thyroid checked lately, I'd do so.

As for checking out early, I hope not as longevity is not in our family as it is.

I'll check back,
tup

Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I can't answer your specific question, however, in my 30's my heart was racing and I asked my doctor if I could still drink a little ice tea. He said yes, but, it will wear your heart out faster. We all know what that means.

You may need to omit all caffeine and alcohol from your diet in order for your heart to slow down to normal pace.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

How many heart beats do you have per minute when you're sitting and resting?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

klava HB User

Racing heart, feeling hot, losing weight even with increased appetite - thease adre all symptoms of hyperthyroidism (an over-active thyroid). Make your doctors check your thyroid levels (TSH, FT3 and FT4) - it's just a blood test. Hopefully, it's just hyperthyroidism and not Grave's. Research Graves disease on the internet and see if you have those symptoms.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I have Graves. From my experience the faster your metabolism the less you sleep. The slower, the more you sleep. Young people sleep more because they are very active so they use more energy and need more sleep. The opposite applies for older people. My 84 year old Mum wouldn't eat enough to keep a bird alive and sleeps badly. I think high blood pressure has a lot to do with wearing out your heart. An undiagnosed overactive thyroid could certainly lead to an early death, it can cause very serious conditions.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
(male)

dfsa HB User

I hope I don't have Graves' disease or a thyroid problem. I do have a lot of the symptoms, but then, I don't feel ill or like there's anything wrong. I had a blood test 5 years ago and it came back OK.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Don't worry yourselves about Graves or any thyroid disease. They are very treatable, just a kink in life's road lol. They will only shorten your lifespan if left untreated for too long. Just be grateful if that's the worse disease you ever get .....but do have it checked ASAP.
Good luck.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
(male)

Richyy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
How many heart beats do you have per minute when you're sitting and resting?
I'm up at 90 while resting. That bad?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyy View Post
I'm up at 90 while resting. That bad?
Richyy,
A faster than average resting heart beat won't shorten your life expectancy. At least I couldn't find anything to suggest that. A book about the human body, by Reader's Digest, states that the average resting heart rate is 72 or 73. That's the average but, to my surprise, NORMAL covers a wide range. Normal is 60 to 100. How about that! You made it. You're normal.

Some people, like myself, are slow to process caffeine. The smallest amount of caffeine, even from chocolate, adds up our systems. If I eat just a small piece of chocolate every day, after about 10 days I will have a resting heart rate of about 85 or more.

You might not be a "slow processor" but perhaps you consume too much caffeine. That could give you a faster pulse too.

Note: If you want to worry about something, worry about high blood pressure.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-18-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Correction: NORMAL range is 60 to 100

Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Richyy,

After checking the book to make sure, I made a correction to my previous post: NORMAL range for the resting heart rate is 60 to 100. So you're well within the normal range.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
(male)

Strangeman HB User

Hi,

I'm a young man and also feel that I can eat a lot and not gain weight. (Some people envy me.)
That said, I use to walk to the shops and have other walks too. So although I'm not walking just to exercise, but from a practical point, I guess this is great exercise to me, so I can't really say I don't exercise. (Others that I know can't go as long and fast as me.)

I don't consume much caffeine, because I don't drink coffee.

So I think young age and enough exercise does it for me. I think it's possible that I will gain more weight as I get older.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
(male)

inspectormoe HB User

I don't know your age but I have the same metabolism as you do. I get very little sympathy from most people when I tell them I can basically eat what I want and not gain weight. In fact if I don't keep it going in I lose weight.

I've always wondered as you have, whether we live as long or what. My Dad was the same way and lived to almost 78.

Closed Thread