It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Raised Veins Hands And Arms

I have noticed in the last month or so at age 52, that sometimes the veins in the back of my hands and on my forearms are raised. It is not constant but occasional.

I am on the low end of normal for my weight, have normal blood pressure and my cholesterol readings have always been normal except for September when they took it and it was border line (probably due to having eaten cheese for breakfast before test). They had not told me to fast for that visit.

Is this normal or something to be concerned about? Husband says it is no big deal. He said he has had it a lot longer than I have.

Thanks!

Lindaru

Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Raised Veins Hands And Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaru View Post
...Is this normal or something to be concerned about? Husband says it is no big deal. He said he has had it a lot longer than I have....Lindaru
I wouldn't consider it to be normal...if it were "normal" we would all be experiencing this phenomenon. As to whether it's a big deal, I don't know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

ToddyTock HB User

A quick test to see if it is normal would be to raise your arms straight up for 20 seconds then bring them down and see if the swelled veins are no longer swollen. I am about 5 years older than you and also started experiencing this a few years back and it is not serious. Your skin and muscle tissue is being to thin. It is a normal part of the aging process.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
(female)

peace99 HB User

I'm younger than you and the veins on the back of my hand are raised too. They look ugly but I don't think anything can be done. Perhaps it is just normal for old thin people?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Thin skinned hands and arms show up these veins more than padded ones. Also exertion as in heavy lifting will bulge the veins even more. After surgery and a prolonged IV my vein in my arm was sticking up like a varicose vein. Apparently you can get varicose veins on your arms as well. I was surprised when I read that. It has come down since, but still there if you look for it.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I'm 40 and I have lots of raised veins on my hands and forearms. It really grosses me out. They are so ugly. I did what ToddyTock said and they went down temporarily. If only they would stay that way!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

If you are dehydrated those veins are going to stick out no matter what you do. Do the pinch test on your upper hand or inner wrist, pinch your skin together and if the skin doesn't spring back to normal within a minute or so, chances are you are dehydrated. So drink lots of fluids and see if that helps fill out the skin tissue around those veins.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I have been away for a while and not able to get back to these boards, and that is why I am late in my response.

I am not dehydrated as I drink about a gallon of non-carbonated, non-alcoholic fluids per day.

I did the pinch test and it came out fine. I do not notice the raised veins all of the time but rather after I have had my arms down for a while or as someone said, after using my arms a lot (such as repetitive motion doing house work).

I shall not worry about it any more and thank you again!

By the way, in watching television, I have noticed people in my weight range that are as young as their twenties that have them, too.

Lindaru

Old 12-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #9
(female)

tiggy44 HB User

dont feel bad I suddenly got them on the top of my feet this summer. The veins just popped up out of nowhere =( I will never wear flip flops again. Its so gross looking. Why did this happen?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

luvmyfamilyof4 HB User

I am younger than you but I get this too. I just think it's ugly!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Tiggy and Luvmyfamilyof . . . I guess the only thing we can do is accept it as part of aging.

It has been months now that I have had it and I notice it less. I look at other people that have it and just try to realize that just like my changing body shape, graying hair and slowly sagging muscles, that it is part of who I am becoming.

Maybe we can all try to think of our showing veins like character lines?

*Hugs to you all*

Lindaru

Old 12-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
(male)

Skippy599 HB User

means ur hydrated happens to me al the time don't put ur arms in wierd places cuz u could be blocking an artery on the inside of ur arm.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #13
(female)

tiggy44 HB User

yes I suppose its part of aging, but veins on top of my feet? and many of them =( I actually look at peoples feet now and dont see veins popping out. Its so embarrassing. Drs said im fine. But Im telling you I wont wear sandals or flip fliops anymore until i accept this..

Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Tig . . . my mother-in-law stayed with us one time during the summer where I saw her feet. She also had veins showing not only on the top of her feet but her ankles as well.

You may not be able to comfortably wear flip flops, but I do not think it is a big fashion faux pas to wear sandals with light socks or ankle to knee high nylons which would hide the veins.

What do you think?

Lindaru

Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Skippy . . . it is not so much the position of my arm but rather if I have been using them a lot or if I get over-heated (notice it more in the summer than in the winter).

I agree about blocking the artery during the times I have had my arms behind my head and my head resting on my hands. When I put my arms and hands down, I will notice it then, too.

Perhaps being over-heated and working with them a lot causes a bit of blocking, too?

Lindaru

Closed Thread