It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

my2luvs HB User
All of a sudden....I'm old... help!!

I'm 56 years young. I never minded growing old or the wrinkle here and there, but I made the mistake the other morning of wearing my eyeglasses while putting on my makeup and wow... what a shock! My little wrinkles are actually craters! I have large pores, red marks and little brown spots, that are not that noticeable but they're there. My skin actually looks like lizard skin, I'm losing my hair on the top of my head after having thick hair my whole life, and I keep gaining weight. The weight I'm not worried about because i'll start my walking regimen soon. I swear, i'm a mess!! But my face and hair really have me worried. Here are the questions:

Is there anything out there that fades brown spots without making the rest of your skin lighter?

Is there a wrinkle reducer/minimizer that really works?

Is there a pore minimizer out there that really works?

Is there something out there that helps with the lizard skin look?

Is there makeup out there that really makes you look good, not heavily made up?

My hair is another story. I'm looking at the hair loss boards to help with that.

But what do women do to help with all these skin issues? I can't afford the expensive products out there that claim they do this and that. I was just wondering what you all use that actually works.

Thank you so much.

Nanny.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: All of a sudden....I'm old... help!!

Look into Murad skin care products-I swear by them. You will notice a difference in 3 weeks. I am 50 and even the dermatologist (no work done had a mole) commented about my skin and did a double take about my age, she thought I was 38. If you smoke-stop!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Nanny,

I am 55 this year. I have always had the youthful gene and looked younger than my years......well suddenly this year I can see the aging. WOW. Seems like no matter how much I work out my skin tone and muscle tone has changed. It sucks. Suddenly the skin on my arms is different. YUCK It has been pretty sudden.

I saw myself on a video?????? I said who's Aunt is that? I did not recognize myself....scary.

I have tried all the different skincares the best and the drug store kind. You will have to find the one you like. I just tried the Jayne Semour line and it is excellent but I have not purchased yet. I have spent a fortune on stuff that they target women our age. Bare Minerals puts out a great Vitamin lotion for your face that I love. I use it every day and I have had results. It has Retinin in it I believe.

A good vitamin, Vit D, Vit E, Fish oil, Calcium and Magnesium should be taken.
My Endo recommended this.

I find a good diet, lot's of water, learning to do Yoga really helps your skin and tone. Posture is sooooo important. Look at the people who are 70 and over who have been doing Yoga and they look amazing for their age.

Also my butt is getting flat, I always had a great butt but now I have old lady butt. I am doing butt exercises daily....JEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ My breasts still look good but who knows they may colapse next !!!

Other than getter some laser on your face and if you dare use botox, the only other thing you can really do is Plastic surgery. Just look the best you can for your age. You could try some microdermabrasion. I could not tell any difference when I had it done $700. later...

Just wanted to jump in here and say AGING SUCKS....... Oleander

Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
(female)

my2luvs HB User

Omg!! you sound just like me. It was truly all of a sudden.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

That happened to me too. All my life my age was underestimated to looking 10 yrs younger. Out of nowhere I started getting asked if I was eligible for a seniors discount. If it's one person, you think it's a mistake but when more then one person asks you, you know it's a fact. My mirror showed me what they were seeing, a person who looked much older than her years.
I've had a lot of stress lately and not enough time to look after myself. Stress shows up on your skin, so get rid of it. Also omega 3's from the inside help put a glow back to the skin and hair.
As for the moisturizers with all sorts of promises, they didn't work for me, they made my skin look more aged but if you find one that is good let me know.

That is so true about posture. An aged person almost always shows slumped shoulders and the chin leading forward. Try to train your bones and muscles to remain upright.

Now I have to chuckle about the flat butt, but it's true, not too many older people have firm rounded butt muscles, they look more like sagging bags. Everything just seems to slide right down, Lol, I can comment about this because I've been there more than once, and butt exercises can round up those cheeks, I've done it more than once but if you slack for too long, the sag comes back as before, you have to keep toning.
Get rid of the gray unless you don't mind. Gray makes even a young person look older than their years. Nothing as aging as dry brittle looking hair with gray roots coming out. Disaster to a youthful look.

Don't give up, if you had to put on your glasses to see these problems, then imagine what some of us feel like when we can see our faults without the glasses...lol
There's still lots you can do to look your best so get busy.

Last edited by dorri; 04-09-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

anlina HB User

Same thing here. People were always shocked to hear how old I actually was, since I looked so much younger. All of a sudden strangers would ask me about my grandkids. And I was getting the senior discount offers too. Even if I believed I still looked young...society was quick to give me the message that my face had changed drastically. My biggest problem is a sagging (crease) at the corners of my mouth. I assume nothing short of surgery can help that. I'm 57, and things changed a few years ago.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I personally do not believe we age all of a sudden.

I do believe our brain keeps us in denial.
Then one day our brain decides to allow us to see the "real me" and we do not like what we see!!

This happens with wrinkles the same as it does with weight. Look in the mirror and you think your weight is not bad feel just the right weight, looking good, etc. then one day we look in the mirror and oh my, I am fat!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Misty800 For This Useful Post:
Sussi (04-05-2012)
Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just hate what seemed like a sudden transformation from the young look to old. Since I was told that I looked younger than my age for so long, I may have taken it forgranted but wham it was happening right under my nose or should I say under my face?
Lol. I too don't see myself as old as some of the store clerks do, but after feeling very offended at first now I enjoy my discounts. The worse thing a store clerk can do is ask, why do they dare ask, they don't ask a person who is young or in their
30's? I should wear the T-Shirt with logo that says "If I look like a senior then give me my D** discount!

Last edited by dorri; 04-10-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

I had the sudden transformation also. I will be 53 Tuesday. At 49 I looked 38, at almost 53 I look 53....it all happened in the last year! Renova is great and has a good moisturizer.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
(female)

andrepp HB User

I hear you. I am 49. A few years back I was experiencing the same thing. But I was lucky enough to have a friend who recommended Janson Beckett products to me. Their Alpha Derma CE and mineral Skin Prep have dramatically changed my skin for the better. They took at least 10 years off my face. I had amazing results with wrinkles, some age spots, sagging and thin skin, and pores also look more refined. I actually began to notice results in a matter of days. I've been using it for a few years now, and have strayed a few times to try other high end brands such as Dr. Perricone and Kinerase but found none of them as effective.

I also take Phyto-estrogen supplements which help the skin stay looking young and healthy. These are natural estrogens derived from soy, and are not synthetic estrogens which may cause harmful side effects. Many women find themselves, me included, age all of a sudden after they hit 40 or when they enter menopause, and that's partly due to a drop of estrogens (group of hormones) in their body. Taking supplements like this will not get rid of wrinkles or reduce pores by themselves, but they will keep the skin looking good.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
(female)

katarina66 HB User

I always saw myself as slim and elegant until I saw myself on my son's wedding DVD. what an eye opener! And the turkey wobble! I would go for a cosmetic tuck, but it might be dangerous with my BP problems. the only answer to my sagging face I'm afraid is to smile a lot. I might look a bit daft going round with a silly grin on my face, but hey, it fairly lifts the double chins!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

The camera seems to show out all our worst flaws? I never knew I had such bad jowls among other things until I seen a close up of myself. I still can't believe I look that bad but a camera doesn't lie or does it?. Maybe it isn't the skin thinning as much as what's thinning underneath the skin?

On the other hand we are harsh to judge ourselves and view our flaws critically when someone else may not even notice them.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
(female)

Rosaflor HB User

When I was about fifty a woman much older than I told me that as you age it is very important always to go out of the house "fixed up" (hair combed, makeup on, nicely dressed). She said that when you are young you can get away with just running to the store looking any-old-how but when you are old people think you're gross anyway so it's important always to present yourself nicely. I never forgot what she said, as cynical as it sounds. I follow her advice now but I think I must look like holy hell anyway as suddenly, when I get on a bus, people leap to their feet to offer me their seat. Mixed feelings about that.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
(female)

bugsyjo HB User

You might look into Thermage if you're trying to avoid surgery. It's non-invasive and lasts up to five years. My mother had it done two years ago and she still looks great. It isn't as dramatic as surgery but it made a huge difference for her.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katarina smiling really does help to lift sagging facial muscles. Walk around your house smiling so when you go out your muscles will be able to pull off a natural one without looking silly. After a certain age this dang sagging does become a daily battle. I think in a certain point of a seniors life many begin to accept themselves as they are, sags and wrinkles and all and strive for a great personality instead. My 80+ neighbour was one of those who was loved by all. No one looked at her wrinkles, everyone found comfort being in her presence because she was such a pleasant person to be around. She had an awesome personality and plenty of visitors right until she passed away. I use to love taking her for coffee.

As for me, I am still going through the daily battle to keep my youth, but I know I need to quit trying so hard.

Closed Thread