HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Aging Issues (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/aging-issues/)
-   -   Why dont I age as fast as others (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/aging-issues/703391-why-dont-i-age-fast-others.html)

nightling2842 07-12-2009 04:11 AM

Why dont I age as fast as others

I recently had sever tests recomended by my doctor and a local university to discover why i don't age as quickly as others to all apearances my body simply stopped aging about 15 years ago and so far noone has been able to discern why. I was wondering if this is happening to others and if so why. it is becoming quite uncomfortable to see people after several years and to find that while i have not changed at all physically they are all growing older at what to me seems an alarming rate. Recently i ran into a friend of mine who is about the sam age as myself and when he realised it really was me he was alarmed by the lack of change in my apearance.
I am starting to feel a little odd when every one keeps asking me what I'm doing to stay so young and I cant tell them anything, the fact is that i smoke and have several other bad habbits and while my friends are all showing the wear and tear of daily life I am not.Why is this can anyone please tell me whats going on.

Titchou 07-12-2009 12:47 PM

Re: Why dont I age as fast as others

It's probably genetic. I wouldn't worry about it. My sister and I have not visibly aged as much as our friends. But our parents were not visibly as old as their peers either.

writeleft 07-12-2009 06:01 PM

I would feel lucky, and enjoy your youthful appearance!

There are so many of us who are facing such difficult health related issues, I would count your blessings.

Best wishes to you...

JohnR41 07-15-2009 08:32 AM

You said you had several tests done on the recommendation of your doctor and a local university. What conclusion did they come to?

Here's my advice: Keep records of everything that's going on in your life. Eventually, you can write a book and make millions. Reminds me of a movie I saw (on DVD) not too long ago; a family drank water from a spring and stayed young forever. :)

Flutterbye77 07-27-2009 09:21 PM

When I met my old classmates at a reunion, I said whew! I am glad I didn't age like them. funny thing is, they were saying the same thing. :)

thisworld 07-30-2009 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Flutterbye77;4045704]When I met my old classmates at a reunion, I said whew! I am glad I didn't age like them. funny thing is, they were saying the same thing. :)[/QUOTE]

how old are you talking about. be glad. im so jealous. Im 60 and dont feel it and im told I look good for 60 but dammit i want to look 40. hahah disney world

JohnR41 08-01-2009 08:23 AM

nightling,

You're wondering if it happens to others and why: It does occasionally happen to others. I have a cousin who was about 75 when I last saw him and he looked more like 50 to 55. And you said that you smoke and have several other bad habbits. Well, he smokes (or did smoke) and likes to drink adult beverages.

Some possible reasons: It could be partly genetic and partly due to his lifestyle. I say partly genetic because his father lived to over 100. And partly lifestyle because 1) he is a very relaxed even-tempered person. 2) he has always had a great family life 3) like his father he likes fresh fruit and vegetables 4) drinking in moderation may have some health benefits.

This doesn't mean that smoking is okay. It just means that in some people smoking can be offset by other factors.

We all manufacture stem cells in our bodies and these stem cells are then used for making repairs. In the average person, stem cell production declines with age. But because everyone is different, some people keep producing more for a longer period of time. That's one possible explanation.

cathy1 08-10-2009 08:13 AM

I always looked younger then anybody my age up until 52 - then all of a sudden it was like I aged literally overnight. I went from looking 35 to looking close to my actual age.