It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

mej1 HB User
Memory problems and other things

I know people have memory problems as they age. How common is it for someone between 55-60 to begin having a "lack of common sense" and a sort of "ditsy airheadedness" thing going on? This person used to be so "together" and now they're not. This has slowly progressed over about three years.

The other things I'm observing is where I'll tell the person something and they somehow didn't hear me. It's not that they forgot what I said, it's like they never heard me, but I was talking to them and they were looking at me so they should've heard me. Or sometimes it's like they only hear what they want to hear. For example, if I tell them I need to fix the couch legs in the family room today, they might think I said that I need to fix the table legs in the living room. I don't think it's a symptom of anything severe like alzheimer's or similar. But I'm not sure if it's normal either. Maybe it's a side effect of stress.

It's really getting on my nerves because it's causing arguments. I feel like I need to submit everything in writing and keep copies for myself for further proof. Or better yet, I feel like I should video and audio tape every conversation with this person.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

Grandma1943 HB User
Re: Memory problems and other things

To me, the answer to this question would be better answered by a doctor after a complete physical exam. Causes could be due to physical or mental health problem, or could be "normal" for this person as aging progresses. I had similar problems with my 90 year old mother prior to her death. I would tell her something and she would swear that I had not. Rather than argue with her I learned to just accept that she could not remember, even though she was otherwise mentally stable. I'm sure a lot of it can be blamed on aging...I am finding many things are happening to my mind at 66. But, I do go to my doctor quite regularly. I'd see to it that the "person" you are referring to gets to a doctor soon. Good luck. I know it is frustrating...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

Is that person on a statin drug? I was like that on them at that age. You could tell me something, I would hear you but a minute later forgot what you said and would garbble it all up trying to remember.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

The person may have a hearing problem. They are able to hear part of what is said and then fill in with what they think might have been said.

The brain and ears do not always work well together when a person has hearing loss.

May be time for hearing to be checked.

Closed Thread