It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

58XRUNNER HB User
Feel awful when exercising

I'm a 58 year old woman who ran 8:20's for a 12K last year. Today I cannot jog for a minute without feeling like my body is going to explode. I stop and my heart is pounding and I feel awful. I had an echocardiogram in December and checked out FINE.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Feel awful when exercising

Between the 12k and now, how long has it been and have you been running or otherwise exercising since then?

If you stop exercising for long enough, your fitness will eventually decline to beginner level. If that is the case, then you need to work back up as if you were a beginner. Meaning that you may have to start running at a slower speed than you ran before and increase speed as your fitness increases.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

58XRUNNER,

I think you should stop running and walk instead. Running, as you have been doing, can depress your immune system and waste muscles. It's not particularly healthy, in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

What evidence is there that running (at the volume of typical recreational exercisers, as opposed to those training for elite level competitions) is particularly prone to depressing one's immune system or wasting muscles? In terms of avoiding muscle wasting, those concerned about that should add strength training to whatever cardio-type exercise they do.

Walking may not be a sufficiently intense workout for those past beginner levels of fitness, unless it is speed walking that may be as fast as some people can run.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I read about the immune system and muscle wasting in the book, "Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution". What happens to "elite level competitors" can also happen to someone who is 58 years old, in my opinion. It depends on the person, their fitness level and their perceived level of stress.

One of the "Zone" books pointed out that too much stress from exercising can cause one to produce the hormone "cortisol", which can be very damaging to the body.

If you ran a 12K last year, I assume you train regularly. And if your health is breaking down, it's possible that you may have too much cortisol in your blood.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-18-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Punctuation / word changes for clairity

Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I agree with the others, if you haven't been exercising for a long time, better start out at beginner level with stretches, walking and simple activity. Just want you to know that I've felt like you have many a time and can say eventually you will pick up more strength and your heart won't be pounding at the slightest exertion.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
I read about the immune system and muscle wasting in the book, "Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution". What happens to "elite level competitors" can also happen to someone who is 58 years old, in my opinion. It depends on the person, their fitness level and their perceived level of stress.
However, many (probably most) 58 year old people can sustain exercise intensity beyond ordinary walking. Ordinary walking may not be sufficient to fully gain all of the numerous benefits of exercise, though of course there are other higher intensity than walking forms of exercises available for those who prefer not to run.

Indeed, the study "Reduced disability and mortality among aging runners: a 21-year longitudinal study" by Chakravarty, Hubert, Lingala, and Fries of Stanford University compared about 500 each of runners to non-runners in their 50s (now in their 70s and 80s). After 19 years, 34% of the non-runners had died, compared to only 15% of the runners. Initial disability struck the runners 16 years later than the non-runners. In addition to reduced death rate from heart disease (non-runners were 2.1 times higher), the runners also enjoyed lower death rates from cancer (non-runners were 1.9 times higher), neurological diseases (non-runners were 3.2 times higher), and (especially) infections (non-runners were 20.8 times higher).

Last edited by tjlhb; 02-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb,

I hesitate to say any more about running in general because this thread is about "58XRUNNER" and the effects of her running 12k races (competitive running). This thread is specific to her, and that's mainly how my comments were intended.

If you would care to start a new thread on the fitness board, I would be happy to participate in a discussion on "recreational running in general". It's an interesting subject.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
(female)

58XRUNNER HB User

Thank you all for trying. I do still believe in running (certainly not as many miles as I used to, but it remains the best form of exercise for me.) I just got back from seeing my cardiologist and was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter. I'm starting on meds.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

You did the right thing by having it checked out, and yes atrial flutter can feel frightening so glad you are going on meds. Wishing you all the best and hopefully soon you can get back to a normal routine.

Closed Thread